Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Jovan said:
My friends, I have just bought a safari shirt from BR on sale... I like it quite a lot. Find them while you still can! (The cotton, not the linen one.)
Yes, I'd agree with that. As much as I disliked the linen version, I love the cotton version. I should learn not to post when my ire is up, but the scratchy linen really got my goat. The cotton is soft, and the shirt is more fitted than many. The collar could have been a bit longer in the point, but that's a minor concern. Everything else about it I like.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Maine Guide Pack

I recently got the Maine Guide Pack from the Boone & Crockett Club store. Here's a couple pics.

Front.jpg

Front-flapopen.jpg

Back.jpg

It is essentially the Frost River Nessmuk pack, but with the Boone & Crockett patch instead of the Frost River.

I am in love with the idea of this pack, and this is a simply gorgeous pack. The workmanship is great, the leather is tough and will last a lifetime, and it has a little more organizational capacity than I had thought. It has the two stacked pockets on the left side, and the tall one on the right. Inside there is a small zippered pocket, and a document slot under the flap on the front. It's a great pack, and I love it!

But it's going back. Practically it is not a good pack for use in the field, and I need a really functional backpack. The buckles at the bottom of the straps are way too close in, so the buckles stick me right in the kidneys. I am sure they would do that a lot less as the pack became more broken in, but it would never go away. The straps are all nice leather, but it takes about 10 minutes to get them undone to get into the pack. "Quick, Honey, get the camera! There's a Summer Tanager!" *long pause* "Honey?! Quick!" *long pause* "Nevermind."

Furthermore, I need a good way to organize my tools, records, etc. in my pack so that I can find them when I need them. For a day on the trail this pack might be nice, with little more in it than a good book, some raingear, and a few essentials, say while touring the pyramids in Giza or walking the streets of Chichen Itza. But it's not for spending the entire day lugging 40 pounds of gear around the desert...well, not and be able to stand up straight the next day!

It lacks any sort of back panel, so I suspect any kind of load would cause it to drag down and out on your shoulders, which anyone who's carried a pack for any length of time knows can be a real killer. So despite it being the absolute epitome of a Golden Age of Exploration backpack, I'm going to keep looking for something that better blends modern functionality with classic good looks.

Incidentally, if anyone is thinking they might like this pack anyway, I am a Boone & Crockett member, so I got it at the member price. I'd be happy to pass that on to anyone interested in it.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
Bricks and mortar. $34.99, and I had BR gift cards from my 21st birthday. Thought it was a can't miss proposition.

I stopped in today and didn't see one at the BR here. They did have a soft cotton (I think) safari jacket on sale but they wanted $85 for it. I have a hard time taking BR seriously for things like that (although I love 'em for boxers and socks) so there was no way I'd bite at that price.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've just gotten a really fine tweed jacket. It needs a tattersall shirt and probably moleskin trousers. Anyone have any good sources? I like this shirt from Orvis, but wow - $69?

337ADL5PB_LG.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
scotrace said:
I've just gotten a really fine tweed jacket. It needs a tattersall shirt and probably moleskin trousers. Anyone have any good sources? I like this shirt from Orvis, but wow - $69?

337ADL5PB_LG.jpg
Charles Tyrwhitt has some shirts similar to that, but $20 less. There are some moleskins here, but even on clearance the shipping may be hell to the US and I'm not even sure if they have your size! Hope this helped somewhat.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Orvis Micro Twill coat

Yes. I have one.
I bought it about a year ago and have worn it several times.
It is light enough for the more mild days in South Florida, but the best clothing to wear here, is prohibited by law, (lounging around in underwear and Berkies) and good taste.

I have found nothing to detract from this item. A bit larger selection of colors would have been nice.
A pretty decent summer weight travel jacket, when you need to go to a place that demands tie and coat. I keep a black knit tie in the left outer pocket.
Good enough for the theater and a good restaurant. Not dressy, but acceptable.
While wearing the coat in question, I have passed the "Dead Fish" at a fairly upper (cost anyway) establishment that sells very small amounts of artfully arranged crappy, what is alleged to be food, at stupidly high prices, and totally lacking courtsey.
(Faced by such behavior I usually inquire of the failing service person, if he/she is the highly principaled individual who is above the demeaning circumstances of tip acceptance?)

Back to the coat, it does NOT do well in the wash.
Looks sorta like the results of a four day drunk with socially unacceptable companions, in the back alleys of transitional neighborhoods, with the transition being downward.

Keep ball point pens that leak away from it and send it to the cleaners once every few months if you plan on giving it some hard wear.

I would buy one again. Geeeeze! I could have just said that and saved all the bull.:(
G.Ashe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe