Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Ah, yes! I have seen versions of those chairs, but never knew they were called Roorkee chairs. Very nice! I tried a search on Melvin and Moon, but couldn't find anything.

Thos are some splendid chairs! That tent is just the ticket, too. Do you have one of those? The G&Ts I can provide!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Ah, yes! I have seen versions of those chairs, but never knew they were called Roorkee chairs. Very nice! I tried a search on Melvin and Moon, but couldn't find anything.

Thos are some splendid chairs! That tent is just the ticket, too. Do you have one of those? The G&Ts I can provide!

Jambo Mojave Jack

Try this link

http://www.melvillandmoon.com/web/index.html

No sorry, not this tent, just a blue nylon job and a tonka tarp that I use for bushcraft. I would like a tent like this but I cannot get the porters to carry them for me!, so its what fits on the back.

I have spoken to Mssr Melvill in anticpiation for a clothing range but I'm still waiting I am sorry to say.

Will have the G & T anytime though.:)

Regards
Mr Godfrey.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Godfrey said:
[/IMG]

handel2.jpg

Love this bed--the photostyling is nicely evocotive too.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Heads up, fellow adventurers! If you were thinking about the Banana Republic Heritage linen military-style shirt, don't do it! This is the worst linen shirt I've ever seen! I swear they are making this shirt from recycled toothpicks and yard waste, and due to some obscure edict from the British East India Company they can refer to it as "linen" under some circumstances. I have never encountered such poor quality linen in all my life. Someone should tell their buyers that linen that can be used to sand furniture should not be used to make shirts!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Wow!

I think I just peed myself a little bit.

But man, that stuff’s so high-end they don’t even bother listing prices

Christmas is coming soon if anyone needs gift ideas:rolleyes:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
That is one Cool Stylin'

imoldfashioned said:
Love this bed--the photostyling is nicely evocotive too.

Wow that room is spare but awesome and still very Art Deco in feel. What a great concept.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :p :p

cookie

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
I'll do it.

I'll misrepresent myself as someone successful. ;)

Like try this line...
"I'm from the Fedora Lounge - I'm a Bartender and I need a few things from your store...yes we are stylists...we have re-established the belt back and Optimo fedoras as de riguer attire for the stylish gent...what ..a magazine? ...oh yes we have our own magazine...can you advertise in it?....of course provided you supply one camp chair per member and two for Mojave...how many members are there in a our Lounge ??...oh not many ...really... about 5000...hullo... hulloo hullooooo...!"

Alan Eardley

One Too Many

BTW, that 'walking stick' is a knopfkierie ('knobkerry') as referred to by Belly Tank in Carter's thread about sticks and cudgels. It is a derivative of the Zulu fighting stick and is a splendid accessory. A good one is made from iroko or one of the African hardwoods, roughly twice as hard as blackthorn or oak (Brinnell rating) and the knob contains a lead weight (traditionally a big lead bullet like a Kynoch or Boxer) plugged by a coin or disk. I have a Victorian example and it is much more handy than an Irish shillelagh or English knobstick. I don't know whether the M&M stick is loaded in this way - it might be considered as an offensive weapon in some places.

Alan

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
It really is astounding that this company has not come up int his forum before! Now I have to go and replace another keyboard...drool shorted it out again.

Mike, I've been reading the book you recommended, The Adventurer's Handbook. Quite fascinating! Here's a bit of fun, too:

How to Regain Control of a Spooked Camel

Something else every intrepid adventurer should know:

How to Make Water in the Desert

The list goes on and on!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
BTW, that 'walking stick' is a knopfkierie ('knobkerry') as referred to by Belly Tank in Carter's thread about sticks and cudgels. It is a derivative of the Zulu fighting stick and is a splendid accessory. A good one is made from iroko or one of the African hardwoods, roughly twice as hard as blackthorn or oak (Brinnell rating) and the knob contains a lead weight (traditionally a big lead bullet like a Kynoch or Boxer) plugged by a coin or disk. I have a Victorian example and it is much more handy than an Irish shillelagh or English knobstick. I don't know whether the M&M stick is loaded in this way - it might be considered as an offensive weapon in some places.

Alan

The orginal story with these walking sticks is that the wood comes from an old broken wagon that an old african guy knew about and brought at auction. They are not loaded and have a M&M button on the top, it was about £40 when they first added it to the site. The button has their Pith helmet logo in brass and M&M around the side in chrome. The wood is iron wood what ever that is.

They also used to have a bigger 7 day safari bag at about £500 which had an extra buckle in the middle and was larger than the 5 day. The Canvas is good quality and they are well made, but they are expensive.

They also used to have a bag based on a old cricket/ polo style bag. but they do not seem to stock it anymore.

I firt saw the kit at the CLA game fair a few years agon when they had a UK stockist and if I had the money I would have had one of every thing.

The chairs are about £250 / 300 each now and Land Rover have one from them with the LR logo on but I prefer the M&M ones. They did make some with cream canvas for Terrance Conran in the UK and I think you can still get the canvas.

They will ship from Africa but it is by ship and does take ages. There is also a Canadian and German website try google search.

The car seat covers are about £350 for a Land Rover Freelander (full set) and are made to order. They used to make them in Olive green but they kept having colour issues so its sand or blue.

I did have a price list but this is few years old I will see if I still have it and post the prices for a idea of what to expect,sorry it will be in GB pounds

I do not work or profit from M&M I just like the stuff they sell and I am gald you like it to.

I have spoken to them about a range of clothing but after two years I'm still waiting, so maybe if you all email them and demand some or suggest designs they may produce some rare items.

Regards
Mr Godfrey.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Thanks - ironwood is Lophira Alata, iroko is Milicia Excelsa. They are not related but both are extremely hard African woods and are now hard (pun intended) to obtain in the UK. My latest stick project will be hickory,for that reason. Loaded or not, the M&M stick is a thing to treasure.

Alan

Mr. Godfrey said:
The orginal story with these walking sticks is that the wood comes from an old broken wagon that an old african guy knew about and brought at auction. They are not loaded and have a M&M button on the top, it was about £40 when they first added it to the site. The button has their Pith helmet logo in brass and M&M around the side in chrome. The wood is iron wood what ever that is.

They also used to have a bigger 7 day safari bag at about £500 which had an extra buckle in the middle and was larger than the 5 day. The Canvas is good quality and they are well made, but they are expensive.

They also used to have a bag based on a old cricket/ polo style bag. but they do not seem to stock it anymore.

I firt saw the kit at the CLA game fair a few years agon when they had a UK stockist and if I had the money I would have had one of every thing.

The chairs are about £250 / 300 each now and Land Rover have one from them with the LR logo on but I prefer the M&M ones. They did make some with cream canvas for Terrance Conran in the UK and I think you can still get the canvas.

They will ship from Africa but it is by ship and does take ages. There is also a Canadian and German website try google search.

The car seat covers are about £350 for a Land Rover Freelander (full set) and are made to order. They used to make them in Olive green but they kept having colour issues so its sand or blue.

I did have a price list but this is few years old I will see if I still have it and post the prices for a idea of what to expect,sorry it will be in GB pounds

I do not work or profit from M&M I just like the stuff they sell and I am gald you like it to.

I have spoken to them about a range of clothing but after two years I'm still waiting, so maybe if you all email them and demand some or suggest designs they may produce some rare items.

Regards
Mr Godfrey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe