Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
cooncatbob said:
The green looks like worn felt lining to me.
Bob.

That's what it is. Faded in spots. I'd guess sun or water damage.

I wonder what the "46" indicates? Model number? Catalog number? Or "1946?" It seems much older than that. There used to be a buckle on one side, but it's gone because the attaching leather tore apart. This thing seems to have seen a fair amount of use, judging by the well-worn strapping. It got opened and closed a lot.

So what would the wealthy gentleman outdoorsman have used it for? I'd love to know who CNK was. If it said DFH, I'd be sure it was Denys Finch Hatton's. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mark G said:
I'm leaving for three weeks in Namibia on Sunday with a stop in Capetown. As well as my usual stuff, I'm trying a Columbia tech shirt. I thought it would be interesting to see how it stacks up with my cotton safari clothes.

I'm also bringing my home made safari hat, so we'll see how that holds up as well.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark, safe journey! I hope I'm not too late in my well wishes, so if you don't see this until you return, I hope it was an excellent trip! Looking forward to the pics and the full report on the gear, of course.

Scott, I think Matthew's idea of the case being used to store lanterns is a pretty good one, even if the felt is not stained green from the brass. I haul mine around in an old grenade box, but it doesn't protect them from bouncing off each other very well. What are the dimensions of the compartments? Are there any telltale indentations in the felt that might provide a clue?

Also, gents, I need some help. I've been scouring the internet for a decent pith helmet to replace my old one, but not having much luck in one regard: the headband. Most recent copies seem to have the single headband, which as I sweat slwoly falls down onto my ears. The only one I've seen with a decent suspension is the IMA helmet, and then only in their M-1871. as shown below:

ABH1003-1.jpg

I'd really like one in white, but I'd settle for anything with the broad brim of a sola topee and a decent suspension. I may have a need to wear one for long periods of time, and the one I have simply doesn't cut it. I've also thought about adding a custom suspension, but I'm not quite sure how I would do that. Any suggestions, either on a good helmet or on modifying the suspension?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Fly Whisk

Trotsky said:
DSCF0628.jpg

Me and "the chaps" at an event in June. We portray WWII SAS, the heat decreed we do Desert.

Good Day Trotsky and fellow F.L.'s

Would it be possible for you to get a close up photo of the Fly whisk. I have a Giraffe tail on a stick that I wish to make into a fly whisk. My friend who is/was a P.H. in Africa gave it to me for a gift but was unable to finish the whisk off. I have been unable to find many leather designs on the web, so far but the one in the photo looks just what I am looking for.

I want just the sort of thing a hunter/farmer/bwana would have had/used back in the 20/30's in Africa.

Or if any of you other chaps on here, have a whisk you would kindly show me I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Godfrey

By the way, great looking photo, keep em coming.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
WARNING

I was in Dillard's yesterday and saw a very nice Norfolk/Safari style jacket in brown corduroy by Ralph Lauren. It looked great on the hanger, but when I tried it on the fit was horrible! The armholes are much too low and it's just very uncomfortable. If you see it try it on for yourself. Don't take my word for it. It could just be my shape, but I doubt it. I'm a pretty standard fit. They come in S, M, L, etc. I looked at the RL website and everyone seems to be wearing their jackets two sizes too small. I hope this isn't the trend this year. I'll be wearing a 52 long!

BTW. I'm back in the states for a short time from my delpoyment due to some family business. I'm going to start a thread on my travels thus far in the Steamer Trunk while I've got the bandwidth. I've got some great pics from Croatia and Crete.

Fly Whisk!

Mike K. said:
Welcome to the Lounge Mr. Godfrey!
Here's a link to What Price Glory - they have the fly whisks.
http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=980&bc=no
Fly_Whisk.jpg
Ahh, the indespensible fly whisk! How many antiques have I sent crashing to the ground weilding one? A very satisfying instrument once it hits bugs, and safer than say, spritzing isopropyl alcohol flit style over a lit candle - to sizzle those darn tiny black flys of summer! I packed one in a (self destructing) vintage satchel to the QM art deco ball, but never needed it on deck after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe