Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
(they had an advantage, having sheath knives as part of their outfit, while we struggled with clasp knives).

Alan

Can you believe it would now be a crime in my state for a child to have such a weapon?... period... those were the days when you expected responsibility...now we have the nanny state...:rage: :rage: :( :(

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
Can you believe it would now be a crime in my state for a child to have such a weapon?... period... those were the days when you expected responsibility...now we have the nanny state...:rage: :rage: :( :(

Is that just in "town" and is it just for kids?

I can't imagine being a kid kicking around even the most urban of woodlots without a pocketknife. Assuming, unlike Alan, you weren't trying for the "Rumbling" merit badge ;), a knife is just a tool and a very necessary one.

Definitely a part of my Adventuring gear from about age 5.

Speedster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Yep.
That's the one, Speedster.
Its supposed to have that "wrinkly, slightly battered but it doesn't matter" sophistication of the working jacket of an important early '30s Archaeologist.
My own design, of course. More in the works...

Pith is good, just been stored badly, by a German- a little warped and some water stains. The Helmet, that is, not the Helmut.
Should tidy up perfectly, with my special Pith Helmet restoring and rejuvenating talents.

Thanks,

B
T

BT, as i told you back then, that's the kind of jacket i like (a lot). Can't wait to see more from your works...

This one would be a challenge for your special Pith Helmet restoring and rejuvenating talents ;) :

111_1158.jpg

111_1157.jpg

111_1159.jpg

111_1160.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lancealot said:
Same here. I seem to have always carried one. I got it after my grandfather. Whose response when asked if he had a knife was always "Do I have my pants on?"

I remember carrying a pocket knife regularly to elementary school along with the other boys who did the same. They'd have the police out to take you away these days for that.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
BT, as i told you back then, that's the kind of jacket i like (a lot). Can't wait to see more from your works...

This one would be a challenge for your special Pith Helmet restoring and rejuvenating talents ;) :

111_1158.jpg

Speedster- I was just in Petitgas' the other day-
his Tropehjelmer(?) cost DKK 1875!
Way too much but the sweatbands are leather.
Yours looks quite DAK.

I have my eyes on an Italian one now.

B
T

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Come to think about it - my father once bought a German Afrika Korps pith helmet in Brussels. Wonder if he still got it?
I'll check it out and - hopefully - get some photos.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This came today

It's a bit of an interesting mystery.

Stamped on the bottom "Abercrombie & Fitch," it comes from the time when A&F was still a gentleman's adventure gear outfitter. The inside has three green felt compartments, presumably for bottles. It had a tag inside that was from the J Peterman Company marked "Rejected: dirt/oil." and "French Kangaroo."
It may have been something Peterman considered copying, or that was a candidate for a display inside one of the short-lived retail stores. There's no reason to assume it's made of kangaroo.
This is old. Very old. I'm thinking 20's, teens or earlier. The felt is very faded, some of the leather strapping is disintegrated. It was quite dirty and a bit dented.
I've cleaned it, and it's now soaking up Pecards. I'll get good pics when it's presentable again. This pic from the auction doesn't do it justice. Neat piece!

P1013143.JPG

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
This Khaki Drill jacket was made to be washable- no interlinings, canvas, lining...
The cloth cost me about the same as a cup of tea.
The manufacturing was a little more than that.
It's been through the machine a couple of times.
Almost looks the part now.

No, it doesn't need pressing.

It has a bit of the 1920s about it but a little more shaped construction.

DSCN3999.jpg

DSCN3998.jpg

DSCN4000.jpg

B
T

BT, that is one great jacket! The back is really incredible. That Wolseley is a pretty sweet find, too.

Where does he get these marvelous toys?!

Scott, you'll have to post some pics of the inside. What do you have planned for it? Accent piece, or shall we be looking for refreshments on the QM in that? Either way, it's got an interesting history.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
carebear said:
Is that just in "town" and is it just for kids?

I can't imagine being a kid kicking around even the most urban of woodlots without a pocketknife. Assuming, unlike Alan, you weren't trying for the "Rumbling" merit badge ;), a knife is just a tool and a very necessary one.

Definitely a part of my Adventuring gear from about age 5.

I was being somewhat facetious, although my statement is based on fact. In the 1950s every boy over a certain age carried a knife as part of his 'lifestyle' (uggh word!). For Scouts and Boys' Brigade it was actually a part of the uniform and was subject to inspection at meetings. For others, it usually marked some 'rite of passage', having reached an age when a boy could be trusted with the responsibility of carrying a blade. Knives were often given to a boy by a male 'role model' (remember when we had those?) with a statement that implied trust, yet included the implication of shame and perhaps even retribution if the implement was misused.

It was the same with gangs, if you define a gang as an informal social group of young males. Every boy was in a gang - your father would recommend you to join one as a part of 'growing up'. It taught many social skills, including responsibility, cameraderie, mutual support and respect for leadership. I notice that the press uses the word 'gang' to imply any group with a criminal element. Wrong! That's a criminal gang.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Vintage French Military.
Brand new old stock- just recently un-folded!

B
T

Ahhh, yes. These are usually sold in the UK as 'French Foreign Legion' items - which is not incorrect, as the LEF did (do?) wear them, although not uniquely. I like them. The early ones are cotton drill, the later ones are a poly/cotton mixture. A set (with long trousers) served me well for more than 20 years of hard use. In fact, there is a (rare) photograph of me in Ray Mear's first book of bushcraft wearing it.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Mine are all cotton.
I have the long trous' too.

Gotta love the French.

B
T

BT,

Don't they have style? I must admit I took to wearing 40s and 50s British KDs when in the tropics for patriotic reasons, but it took a while to get used to the complete lack of fit, after the French kit. There is something about the elaborate waists on British tropical trousers and shorts, though...

I love to watch the LEF parade down the Champs Elysees on Bastille Day, led by those Pioneers - huge guys with leather aprons and full beards, carrying axes, for those who haven't had the pleasure.

Alan

Mark G

A-List Customer
I'm leaving for three weeks in Namibia on Sunday with a stop in Capetown. As well as my usual stuff, I'm trying a Columbia tech shirt. I thought it would be interesting to see how it stacks up with my cotton safari clothes.

I'm also bringing my home made safari hat, so we'll see how that holds up as well.

Cheers,

Mark

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Abercrombe & Fitch Bottle Case

It cleaned up really well. I used the method listed by the Smithsonian - cleaned with a solution of distilled water, alcohol and glycerine. Then after it dried, it soaked up four thin coats of Pecard's in as many days. What do you think? Was it fitted with decanters at one time? Thermos bottles?

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

Former owner's initials (CNK):
IMG_6410.jpg

Stamped on the bottom.
IMG_6412.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe