Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Speedster

Practically Family
Whitmann pants

They are rather expensive at USD 69.-. They look very much like the WahMaker or COWS pants which can be had for considerable less.

Agree with BT, we should all be wearing this style.

HANSOLOJONES

New in Town
Here is my current adventure outfit. Akubra Fed deluxe, G&B Expedition(goat), Wested shirt, Noel Howard trousers, Alden 405 Boots.

*Images deleted by request*

Windsor's Safari gear from the 1997 catalogue of the auction of his wardrobe. Shirt/jacket and trousers/shorts are of thin wale cotton corduroy. The trousers are convertible to shorts by a simple button-up mechanism.

WindsorSafariGear1.jpg

In Action.

WindsorSafariGear2.jpg

WindsorSafariGear3.jpg

bk

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips on the trousers everyone. I discovered that I can actually get a few pairs done from mycustomtailor.com in exactly the style I want (and in hefty 10oz cavalry twill too).

Baron, those are some amazing photos. Sure wish my outfit looked like that. The Duke sure made a statement in every aspect of his life.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Windsor's Safari gear from the 1997 catalogue of the auction of his wardrobe. Shirt/jacket and trousers/shorts are of thin wale cotton corduroy. The trousers are convertible to shorts by a simple button-up mechanism.

WindsorSafariGear1.jpg

In Action.

WindsorSafariGear2.jpg

WindsorSafariGear3.jpg

bk

BK do you reckon that awesome colour is the real thing or the photo lies? The "pugareeing" on that pith helmet is something else ....so many 'laps' on the folds.

Mike K.

One Too Many
cookie said:
do you reckon that awesome colour is the real thing or the photo lies?
Cookie, I was able to achieve a very close match to that color when re-dying some of my outdoor clothing. When using Rit Dye, to get what the company calls "khaki tan" you normally mix 2 Tbsp (or 1/2 bottle) Tan and 2 tsp Pearl Grey. I found that by doubling the amount of tan, one ends up with nearly the same color shown in the Duke's gear.

Normally the tan dye is found in liquid form, while the pearl grey is a powder. Dissolve the 2 tsp of grey dye in a bottle of hot water. Pour this and the bottle of tan dye into a washing machine set for the hottest water and the smallest load. Let the mix agitate briefly, then add clothes. Let them soak/agitate for about 20-30 minutes, then rinse/spin. Put them into a dryer set on hot - this helps set the dye (it will eventually fade a bit regardless). That's all there is to it.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Re: Windsor's Safari suit and Corduroy.

Corduroy- as the Baron noted
Not the type with the nap though- the hairless variety.
That Safari suit was ceafted in 1925, for his Safaris to Uganda.
Here's a closer, clearer shot of the Safari jacket:

imgp0279sized5sv.jpg

Corduroy may seem like more of a wintery cloth but here's another example, a beautiful one, of a WW2 Luftwaffe officer's tropical tunic in a similar cord- crafted privately for a Hauptman of the flying branch or paratroops.

KmSxcfkj.jpg

ihGobMmZ.jpg

The Germans used cord for tunics in the late 19thC and WW1, for attire in the Colonies.

DSCN5167-1.jpg

Corduroy is a tough cotton cloth, so, well suited to warmer lands and rough treatment.

B
T

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Prince's Jacket

Interesting how the P of W's jacket has the half opening placket as seen in the khaki RM Williams country work shirt. Thanks for the info on corduroy. I always wondered how it would be used in the tropics as we usually think of it as a British/Aussie style winter slacks material.

Cobden

Practically Family
British officers in North Africa often wore unregulation corduroy trousers in place of the regulation shorts or drill trousers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe