Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Me Grand daddy

I posted this pic in the Display Case, but I thought I'd share with the Adventurers. This is my Grand dad with what I would consider gear that fully qualifies him as a true Golden Age Adventurer: a horse, a BIG hat, and a bull whip!
Grandpabullwhipsmall.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I posted this pic in the Display Case, but I thought I'd share with the Adventurers. This is my Grand dad with what I would consider gear that fully qualifies him as a true Golden Age Adventurer: a horse, a BIG hat, and a bull whip!
Nice shot, dhermann! Ah, a horse: the ultimate piece of adventure gear! I tired to talk my wife into getting a house on about five acres outside of town when we moved here, specifically so I would have room for a house. She was so afraid of snakes and scorpions at the time that she said "no way!" Now she loves it here and I'm pretty sure I could have talked her into that. Well, maybe the next house!

Seeing the awesome hats crafted by both Mike K and Mark G, I've been on the hunt for a slightly higher quality bush hat than the one I currently have. My ideal is the Zambezi River Hat by Orvis, but with a better pug. I love this bash.
49RCL7VT.jpg

Not too long ago I got a sweet deal on two hats from Australia, both size 56 and both Akubra Imperial Felt, so I jumped on them. Well, turned out they were both 53, not 56! I put the bush hat in the classifieds, but no one was interested. I got a full refund from the lady, who didn't want them back, so I started fiddling with them both. I stripped both to the body, cleaned them, and stretched them on my block (which I also had put in the classifieds, but nobody wanted!), put in a new sweat and an issue pug. Here's the bush hat:

P7205079.jpg

P7205072.jpg

P7205074.jpg

And don't listen to Nick Charles! Just because it belonged to a girl doesn't make it a girl's hat! Who knows, anyway. She may have been tougher than any of us!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The gait of a Bwana!

dhermann1 said:
Grandpabullwhipsmall.jpg

What a great photograph to have in your family album!! He carries himself with the authority of a Bwana!! Looks great :eusa_clap

Mike K.

One Too Many
Bwana Mojave that's a splendid hat! Is there a specific model name printed anywhere inside? It looks really similar to my Akubra, but with the vent eyelets perhaps a bit higher on yours. The safari bash and pug turned out great...even if it is a girls hat.;) lol :p

On a separate note, for anyone interested there's a vintage Banana Republic safari jacket on our favorite auction site. It looks like a fine jacket. Since Lounge rules don't allow links to the site, you'll have to track it down yourself if interested. It looks quite similar to my dark khaki safari jacket, but a bit more green and with some other minor differences. I don't need any more safari jackets so I won't be bidding.

RBH

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
Grandpabullwhipsmall.jpg

Wow, I have to say that is one fantastic photo! I wonder what kind of hat he is wearing, it sure has the high looking crown I always think of when I think of the 20's and 30's.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
Orvis has their Safari hat on sale for $89
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...=885&group_id=1751&cat_id=5691&subcat_id=6972

I ordered one so I'll give a report when it arrives. I hope it fits because their size chart is very poor. I may have to replace that pug though, I'll see...
Yes, please do! I expect a very detailed review, since that was the hat I was using as my model for my latest hat. And you're right, the pug has got to be replaced! Nick, Mark, and Mike have all wound their own, and can give you some great tips.

I'm really looking forward to some pics!

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Purdey safari jacket

As promised long ago...here is my Purdey safari jacket. It is unlined brushed cotton twill. Four ouside pockets and two inside pockets, one with a button the other with a zip.

100_0494.jpg

A close up...

100_0495.jpg

The inside has a draw string and straps so you can take off the jacket and let it hang down your back.

100_0496.jpg

And as worn with the straps...

100_0498.jpg

Not very becoming, but convenient, I suppose.

It doesn't have its own belt, but I'm going to get a wide, double prong leather belt with matching pouches that can also be a gun belt when needed.

Noplate.jpg

I'm leaving for the Med in a few days and will be in the Meddle East all fall and winter. This will be the perfect winter coat for my adventures. And yes, the pith helmet is coming with me, too!

Aha!

So that is what the strap is for, suspected such a thing. Took home a, I suppose safari jacket in the nomenclature (shooting jacket?), from an estate sale with similar such strap. When you're hot you're hot! Leaves arms free to cradle that 600 Nitro Express Holland & Holland double rifle all the better. While not in my size, it was just so... je ne se qua? It'll wind up on someone. Pics eventually. Have a safe trip!

Duck

Practically Family
Help with a pug????

Help!!! I tried to do a pug on my hat and ended up with what looks like a bunch of rags wrapped around the hat:eek:
We need a pug making tutorial:eusa_doh: , or at least I do.lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
Very nice outfit TraderRic. I can't wait to see the completed kit with the leather belt added. I've never seen the inside carry straps before...very interesting. Tell us about that cool pipe you're smoking!

Duck - are you using the tutorial on folding a puggaree?
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/images/helmets/Folding a Puggaree.pdf
If so, try taping down the end of the band to hold it in place. You'll have to wrap fairly tight and probably will end up making several attempts to get it right. The band material probably makes a difference too. I used cotton twill tape/ribbon which offers some friction against the surface of the hat.

Alright everyone, when is our safari??

Mike K.

One Too Many
Oh come on, it's not that bad!

Actually, from a lot of old photos I've seen the puggaree was not often tidy. These were hunters who spent their days afield and likely made their own hat bands. You can even find the sloppy look on Redford in Out of Africa.

From your photos, it looks like the material is rather thick and bulky. If you really want a crisp look, try using thinner cloth. My recommendation is cotton twill tape or some other cotton/linen/rough silk ribbon. You can usually find this stuff at a local craft/sewing store.

Another idea (one I might use on a pith helmet) is to use a strip of real/simulated hide - zebra, leopard, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe