Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
HEADS UP...

I was just over at the Banana Republic website following up on a lead for a blazer.
In the sales section I found that the classic safari jackets are on sale for $100.
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=26223&pid=464371
br464371-00p01v01.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
TraderRic said:
It doesn't have its own belt, but I'm going to get a wide, double prong leather belt with matching pouches that can also be a gun belt when needed.

The bottom half of a UK Army Sam Browne style belt would be good there IMHO.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
RondoHatton said:
So that is what the strap is for, suspected such a thing. Took home a, I suppose safari jacket in the nomenclature (shooting jacket?), from an estate sale with similar such strap. When you're hot you're hot! ,Snip>

Beretta use the same idea for their shooting jackets. I bought one from an online auction seller in the UK a few months ago (40 GBP new) and I can say that it has relegated my Orvis travel jackets to the back of the closet. Although the carrying straps seem like a gimmick at first, in practice I find them really useful as Europe seems to be having very changeable weather at the moment.

Alan

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Fellow adventurers...

I leave tomorrow on another Med/Middle East deployment. I'll be back in late winter to early spring. I hope to be able to make some posts during that time, but I'm usually band width challenged. I'll try to keep you updated here with any new gear I pick up in my travels. I'll also post in the steamer trunk entries from my travel journal. See you when I get back!

Eric

BTW Mike K. my pipe is English and was my grandfathers. Those are all the details I can give.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
TraderRic said:
Noplate.jpg

I'm leaving for the Med in a few days and will be in the Meddle East all fall and winter. This will be the perfect winter coat for my adventures. And yes, the pith helmet is coming with me, too!
Does this mean I have to get a Land Rover to go with my Pith Helmet? I don't mind, I just want to be sure. I thought a camel might be the thing, but if you say Land Rover, then Land Rover it is.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Recommended reading...

Here's a good book for all adventurers. From how to make your underwear last longer to dealing with an anaconda attack (a comical excerpt from the Peace Corps manual), it is a short easy read with all sorts of useful knowledge and some good humor too.
10213523.jpg

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
TraderRic- Nice jacket

Duck- I like your hat band (pug), very classic. My only suggestion would be to maybe dye it (maybe with tea or something) or get a little darker tan. The white’s a little too contrasting for my taste.

Mike K.- is that book still in print?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Serial Hero said:
Mike K.- is that book still in print?
As far as I know. After seeing a copy at my local bookstore for about $14, I went on Amazon and found a new one (in the "new & used" section) for about $5.

Mike K.

One Too Many

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Hey gang, my Orvis safari hat http://www.orvis.com/store/product_...42&cat_id=11959&subcat_id=13028&feature_id=17 arrived today. Due to a family emergency I won’t be able to post any pictures for a couple of weeks (I will also most likely not have access to the lounge during that time). But here is a quick preliminary report:

Out of the box I was very impressed. The photo on the Orvis site does not do it justice. The hat has a very nice look. The band (pug) looks nothing like the pic. It only has two layers and a nice texture so I will be keeping it.

The hat itself is a rabbit wool blend, which doesn’t really bug me as long as its water proof. The felt has a little bit of fuzz (compared to my AB) and is very stiff. It reminds me of a campaign hat, but I think with wear it will break in, as my AB has.

I went with my normal hat size, and it fits well. The only thing is that I believe I’m a long oval so I need to get some of those pads you stick under the band, as it’s a little loose on the sides. Again, I don’t think it will be as much a problem once I break it in and it starts conforming to my head.

Over all I’m very satisfied and have found my safari hat, and will post some photos in a couple of weeks.

-SH-

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Well, I took the plunge and bought the Cabela's safari jacket. While it was in transit I didn't really know what to expect, and when it arrived I was surprised... it fairly well lived up to my expectations. It could do with a few slight modifications such as a belt and bone buttons, but I like it.

I either don't know how (highly possible) or don't have the ability to post pics directly, so here's the link to photobucket:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/Gatsby84/DSCN3135a.jpg
(I know I'm not very photogenic)
The background isn't as good as the other adventuring pictures, but this was just a quick one, when I get the chance I'll take some pictures of me out in the field.

-Allen

Duck

Practically Family
Fixed it for ya, Allen!!!!!

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Cabela's safari jacket. While it was in transit I didn't really know what to expect, and when it arrived I was surprised... it fairly well lived up to my expectations. It could do with a few slight modifications such as a belt and bone buttons, but I like it.

I either don't know how (highly possible) or don't have the ability to post pics directly, so here's the link to photobucket:

DSCN3135a.jpg

(I know I'm not very photogenic)
The background isn't as good as the other adventuring pictures, but this was just a quick one, when I get the chance I'll take some pictures of me out in the field.

-Allen

Mike K.

One Too Many
Help needed

Okay fellow adventurers I need your assistance. I am looking for some new trousers. I thought that I had found exactly what I was looking for in some old Banana Republic pants, but alas they turned out to be the dreaded "low rise" hip-hugging, waste of fabric, pants. Aside from the fit, they are just want I am looking for. So here's my criteria:
100% cotton twill, khaki and/or olive color
Button close, zip fly
Slant front pockets
Flapped patch pockets in rear
If anybody knows where to purchase said trousers, please let me know (and L.L. Bean is out of the ol' Cramerton twills)
Here are some pics of what I am searching for
001.JPG

003.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe