Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Today's ties

I especially like the solids that were found; there's just something about a solid-colored tie with a rougher weave, and worn with a good tie clasp. Also, it almost looks as though the "30s does the 70s" with 2nd tie to the left in the 3rd row.

-Quetzal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I spotted a vintage Palm Beach tie (with also the Beau Brummell name on the label) at the Salvation Army, which looked to have been made during the 1930s or '40s. Unfortunately, it looked like it had gone threadbare at the top, and with stains. It had a moderate width with a short length, no interior lining that I could notice, felt like wool, and it had stripes with pastel colors; light blue, cream, and I think peach. I did not happen to take a picture of it, or buy it. It was ten dollars, but I didn't buy it, as I believe I've gotten better deals on eBay, and it was not in very good condition. What do you do with the more damaged ties? What kind of cleaning methods are efficient for wool, among other materials for ties?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I spotted a vintage Palm Beach tie (with also the Beau Brummell name on the label) at the Salvation Army, which looked to have been made during the 1930s or '40s. Unfortunately, it looked like it had gone threadbare at the top, and with stains. It had a moderate width with a short length, no interior lining that I could notice, felt like wool, and it had stripes with pastel colors; light blue, cream, and I think peach. I did not happen to take a picture of it, or buy it. It was ten dollars, but I didn't buy it, as I believe I've gotten better deals on eBay, and it was not in very good condition. What do you do with the more damaged ties? What kind of cleaning methods are efficient for wool, among other materials for ties?

Hello. I am NOT a expert at all regarding ties in general, however, I have learned you can hand wash most ties very safely. No hot water, just luke warm or cold. VERY slight amount of any liquid laundry soap or woolite for cold and delicate wash. You can be very "easy" when working on a wash of a tie on any spots...be very gentle with the tie. After you have rinsed the tie (really spend some time getting all the soap back out, and rinse with cold water) you can hang that tie to dry. Shape it and smooth wrinkles out along the drying process so that when it is almost totally dry, it has not shriveled up or stayed super wrinkled. Then iron that tie. If you have a delicate surface or not, you can cover the tie with a clean white clothe (wash clothes will work) and iron the tie flat, careful to work out any wrinkles. After you iron the tie, leave it alone. Don't handle it right away, let it dry first allowing any steam to evaporate. Don't handle a soggy ironed tie......lol!

This has worked for us for years, I have witnessed my Husband wash some seriously delicate ties, and he had never ruined any of them and for a while now, I do the washing and ironing. Best caution advice, go slow. Don't rush any of it. You can even allow a tie to soak for a few hours if the stain may seem to be stubborn. A light spray of some "resolve" may also help remove a stain, but be careful if the tie is really dark.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I made yet another new tie today. This one is the shortest of them all, at 48 inches long (the others are about 52 inches long). The fabric is from the same Ben Franklin in Chatham Cape Cod as the Golf fabric.
EhGYeiE.jpg

Quetzal

One of the Regulars

TEN DOLLARS?? Wow, I knew that they Salvation Army charges whatever they want to and have no consistency in price (the local one that shut down charged $3.00 a tie, and there were only two worth buying in the whole time it existed; no wonder it closed), but I wouldn't have expected it to charge that much.

If you're bold and if you really want the tie, you could always try to convince them that the item is damaged and that they should cut the price (I did this; I told them that the 1910s tie was "wrinkled" and "distorted", in reality the odd way how it was originally folded, and they let me have it for a buck).

-Quetzal

97847bf407cdec3fc4a95878a600302c.jpg
9aec35ab43bb7955dd79a4dbd7625c59.jpg
0c906ed5ce24a23e230d6ff8296747b9.jpg
95d3a8e904ed15e8920b3f19bad4cea6.jpg

Here's a couple of pretty tame ones I picked up today. They're a little more boring and skinny than I normally go for but the price was right.....and I don't exactly live in the land of plenty, you take what you can get around here.
Black and pink one is 3" at the widest, the brown brocade one is 2 7/8". I thought initially these were middle 50s, and may well be, but they are much shorter than other ties I have from that era.

Dang Roger!!! I don't know which is better....those ties or your wife. Do something nice for that woman.
That hand painted is sweeeeet. I really like the two blue ones too. Nice haul

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've had success soaking stained ties in Oxiclean. Warm water soak, light agitation, and hang dry.

With no damage to the coloring or fabric? That would be the way to go, then. I think I have some in the garage. However, I am not sure about driving all the way back to the Salvation Army to buy that particular tie.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
97847bf407cdec3fc4a95878a600302c.jpg
9aec35ab43bb7955dd79a4dbd7625c59.jpg
0c906ed5ce24a23e230d6ff8296747b9.jpg
95d3a8e904ed15e8920b3f19bad4cea6.jpg

Here's a couple of pretty tame ones I picked up today. They're a little more boring and skinny than I normally go for but the price was right.....and I don't exactly live in the land of plenty, you take what you can get around here.
Black and pink one is 3" at the widest, the brown brocade one is 2 7/8". I thought initially these were middle 50s, and may well be, but they are much shorter than other ties I have from that era.

I have a "Van Heusen Original" that looks 50s and is longer, but has the older style construction found in pre-50s ties.

Your Regal is making me wonder if the company specialized in diagonal stripes; all Regals that I have seen and own, 30s-60s, are striped, excluding the wild Regal print (it can be seen in their "Father's Day" and "Valentine's Day" ads) and that one solid brown, woven "Regalon by Regal". A decent tie, but the era that this tie is from does not need to be mentioned.

-Quetzal

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
On a knot planned tie, such as this one, how many inches is it from the tip to the knot color? Specifically on a 48 inch tie.

I have a "wilderness" print with a meadow and a hopping bunny, in a BRAND NEW condition (with a tag!) at the local Goodwill, when I found about 30+ other ties (the Tie Gods will never be that generous to me again). It has a very similar construction with a maroon knot plan (you couldn't tell otherwise that it was maroon) and, even for a small guy like me (37S-SR, 27x33 and a long, 14.5-15" neck) who wears Normal-Rise (High-Rise to everyone outside of this site), these ties, even with a Four-In-Hand (not that vintage Windsors consume that much fabric compared to modern ties), are short, just touching the tip of my belt. Even my 1910s tie is, oddly enough, longer.

-Quetzal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az