Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Had a chance to dig through my wife's late Grandfather's closet today. Among the 20+ wide, diagonal stripe, polyester ties ('70s/'80s) were these two. They came home with me. :)

Bob

15172305685_ba5c6711da.jpg

15169299441_eed1d2ea79.jpg

14985651560_f0717c1522.jpg

15172309235_3547c4e2fc.jpg

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
A very common scenario at my local St Vin's; to find a handful of the RIGHT kind of Skinny Ties among tons of the disgusting late-60s, 70s, and early-80s polyesters. For some reason, the only ties that I find at ANY Goodwill in my area are those from the late 1980s to the present.

-Quetzal

The Good

Call Me a Cab
A very common scenario at my local St Vin's; to find a handful of the RIGHT kind of Skinny Ties among tons of the disgusting late-60s, 70s, and early-80s polyesters. For some reason, the only ties that I find at ANY Goodwill in my area are those from the late 1980s to the present.

-Quetzal

There's nothing wrong with your preference, although I still own and wear polyester skinny ties if I like them, yet they are few compared to rayon, acetate, silk, or wool versions in my collection. 1980s through present era ties, including some '70s ties, are almost all I've spotted at a Goodwill, as well, but I've spotted a 1960s tie at one point, and an unidentifiable knit tie at another time. I didn't buy either one, but they are out there, sometimes.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
There's nothing wrong with your preference, although I still own and wear polyester skinny ties if I like them, yet they are few compared to rayon, acetate, silk, or wool versions in my collection. 1980s through present era ties, including some '70s ties, are almost all I've spotted at a Goodwill, as well, but I've spotted a 1960s tie at one point, and an unidentifiable knit tie at another time. I didn't buy either one, but they are out there, sometimes.

Oh absolutely, I completely agree with you; by the "RIGHT kind" of skinny ties I'm also referring to the ones such as those by Superba made of polyester or its alternative name, Dacron. I don't care about the fabric; I only care about the length and, more importantly, if the knot is neat and fairly small since I'm small, and the majority of ties that fulfill these requirements are pre-mid 60s ties. I do like some of the polyester skinny ties from the 1980s if you're referring to those, but they are too long for me even with a Double-Windsor. Knit ties are knit ties; post-WWII to 1990s knits did not change as much as pre-war (I think), so I just buy a knit or a square-end that I like.

I thought that I'd never find a pre-mid 60s tie at a thrift store, but then one day, I found a St. Vin's, where a 1/4 of the ties there were 30s and mid-late 50s; another time I found a ton of late-50s skinny ties (I only bought 5 because I didn't have the money, and the 5 were the only interesting ones), and then the best day was at a Goodwill where I found 30+ of the ties present (more than half of the current stock!) of 1930s-mid 1950s ties, all in a BRAND NEW condition with their ORIGINAL tags (and it was 75% off day)! I'll post the pictures once I figure out how.

But the moral of the post is to keep looking around; the good stuff is out there!

-Quetzal

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What a wonderful selection (2 & 3 on the top row and the whole of the third row are really nice)!

What is the design on that first tie? Is it Saturn and its rings?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Those are some nice colors LuvMyMan. And from what I can see in the pic the fabric of that jacket is pretty nice too.

Thank you. He does have a few really old ties, one that is delicate, a skinny tie, off white that he loves to wear, purchased from Lee here on the lounge. Yes the jacket is really nice vintage, silk. Has many tones of light brown, gold, and some blue in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saundersdavid