Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

I like how they worked the peacock and the argyle pattern in with the paisley. Lots going on with that one.
Good to see you posting A.

Here is an Arrow tie I've got from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181512496591?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$_57.JPG

The design reminds me somewhat of artwork done by El Lissitzky. Is this a late '40s or early '50s tie, or was it made before? The link has a picture of the label.

You are probably in the mid fifties or so with that tie and it's width. Nice looking.

I don't even wear ties more than once or twice a year and now you all have me looking at them in thrift stores. Here is my first purchase -- a Haband with the letter 'R'. Since my name is Robert I thought I should probably get it. I found a couple similar ties out on the inter-webs that reference the 1940s. Can anyone confirm that dating? i hope it was 80-cents well spent.

Thanks,

Bob

View attachment 17238
View attachment 17239
Geez, for 80 cents the change would have come out of my pocket so fast that it would be too hot to touch for at least five minutes. :p
The nexus for initial ties like that seem to be from about 1947 onward if you look at vintage tie advertisements. Haband was also a great brand for ties back then. It was not the polyester nightmare junk made in foreign countries like it is today. :doh:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Geez, for 80 cents the change would have come out of my pocket so fast that it would be too hot to touch for at least five minutes. :p
The nexus for initial ties like that seem to be from about 1947 onward if you look at vintage tie advertisements. Haband was also a great brand for ties back then. It was not the polyester nightmare junk made in foreign countries like it is today. :doh:

You got that right...

Annixter

Practically Family
I like how they worked the peacock and the argyle pattern in with the paisley. Lots going on with that one.
Good to see you posting A.

Thanks; with moving locally and some other family affairs, the summer kept me away from the FL for a couple months. Glad to be back.

Annixter

Practically Family
Today's older brocade: 3-3/4" wide silk. The colors pop a lot more in person and probably with a better camera/lighting :eek:.

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
I have no idea where you are finding these as I sure can't find them in the same area. :p That is a nice one. :p

I happened upon a new-to-me thrift store that seems to get vintage ties in every now and then. Aside from this last gem, most other places have dried up for me.

On another note, I came across a vintage clothing store in the Upper Haight (near Ashbury) whilst playing tour guide for family interested in visiting the once-hippie-haven. They have a rack of at least 100 30's-50's ties, and the employee claims the owner has boxes more. Many were keepers, but at $40 a pop I passed. It was nice browsing, though.

I happened upon a new-to-me thrift store that seems to get vintage ties in every now and then. Aside from this last gem, most other places have dried up for me.

On another note, I came across a vintage clothing store in the Upper Haight (near Ashbury) whilst playing tour guide for family interested in visiting the once-hippie-haven. They have a rack of at least 100 30's-50's ties, and the employee claims the owner has boxes more. Many were keepers, but at $40 a pop I passed. It was nice browsing, though.

$40?! You'll give Widebrim a heart attack. lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saundersdavid