Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Memorial Day- our little vintage Crackerjack

FL member's son makes the local news! I didn't get a picture taken yesterday, but the SF Chronicle newspaper did! Here is our almost 13yo son Daniel as he participated with his fellow BAWMHRS (Bay Area Womens' and Mens' Historical Representation Society) on Memorial Day during the ceremonies at the Presidio in San Francisco.

He's wearing his vintage WWII US Navy shirt with the ruptured duck patch and Petty Officer third class Gunner's Mate insignia, vintage black pants, with a new surplus store white navy cap and white gloves.

I and my husband are so proud of him! This was Daniel's and my husband's first in-uniform BAWMHRS "event". All the uniformed BAWMHRS (gents and ladies) stood in front of the podium for almost two hours yesterday during the entire ceremony.

365396797.jpg

Here is the link to the article in the SF Chronicle, there is a video link to the local news story. Two other BAWMHRS (one in Spanish American War uniform, the other in WWI uniform) are seen in the clip. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2009/05/26/BALP17QR5U.DTL&o=3

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I will be on set tomorrow again. Instead of playing my normal Bailiff part, I am being a regular extra. I have to bring some "business attire" outfits to change into for different scenes.

I am going to sneak in some vintage stuff. I will take a picture for you all to see.

SayCici

Practically Family
3569466356_95fe51a2e8.jpg

50's handmade silk dress from eBay. I'm a little ashamed of how I wore it - the dress has belt loops but didn't come with a self-cover belt, and I didn't have a white belt to wear.

3568654217_01ae0d5dda.jpg

Screw-on earrings. I had some white pearl ones that may have matched better, but I loved that the blue in the dress and on the earrings were almost identical.

3568654021_62fee96556.jpg

A white pair of heels is on my "to buy" list, I promise. (Eek, posture!)

Mary

Practically Family
crazydaisy [B said:
Mary[/B], I know what you mean. I am one of the most lacking in sex appeal people that I know, but that's how it is, gotta live with that lol. Since it doesn't come naturally I don't try very hard to "do" sexy/flirty - if I do try it ends up looking wacky cause I start pulling faces, or is just forced.
But then again this is a subjective matter. What is flirty or sexy to one is not to another. But yes, mainstream flirty is not for me.

I totally disagree! You're smoking hot! And you are that without needing to strike the ordinary flirty poses.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Me today before going on set. I argued with the ladies in wardrobe. I wanted to wear my new vintage navy DB suit. Sadly I have to do what they say. :(
But they did let me wear pinstripes with a vest.

52709.jpg

djhatman

One of the Regulars
While I my self do not dress vintage I think you all look great. I have to ask what do you do while all dressed up? I like to look nice and wear a suit on Sundays but other then that it seams to me that I have no other reason to wear one. Even with just going out in a shirt and pressed pants people always ask why am I dressed up so nice. I just find it frustrating that if I don't look like a slob I must have some where important to be.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
djhatman said:
While I my self do not dress vintage I think you all look great. I have to ask what do you do while all dressed up? I like to look nice and wear a suit on Sundays but other then that it seams to me that I have no other reason to wear one. Even with just going out in a shirt and pressed pants people always ask why am I dressed up so nice. I just find it frustrating that if I don't look like a slob I must have some where important to be.

Sit and study, roam the library, go grocery shopping, see a play, take a walk, read...all the things I used to do in jeans and a t-shirt, for the most part. It's become just the way I dress. I get comments like that, too, but I don't mind.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
All dressed up (vintage ) and someplace to go...

Hello djhatman and Welcome!!

Our entire family dresses vintage, not just me. We've joined our local Art Deco Society, and most recently a group called BAWMHRS (Bay Area Women's and Mens' Historical Representation Society). We also are all social ballroom dancers and we volunteer for a Pops Orchestra. Any event we can come up with that's applicable, even out to just a classic film or a big band concert- we'll bring out the vintage garb.

I've started incorporating my vintage 1940s look more into my everyday out-and-about life, beyond church on Sundays or to Ladies Bible Study. My husband has worn his vintage 40s suits to church on Sundays, and wears his fedoras and panama hat every chance he can. Our almost 13yo son loves to dress vintage especially-even more than his almost 15yo sister, and wears his fedoras whenever he can.

djhatman said:
I have to ask what do you do while all dressed up? I like to look nice and wear a suit on Sundays but other then that it seams to me that I have no other reason to wear one. Even with just going out in a shirt and pressed pants people always ask why am I dressed up so nice. I just find it frustrating that if I don't look like a slob I must have some where important to be.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I agree most heartily NickD!! Its happening with me as well, even to get stamps at the post office. I really prefer dressing this way, it seems very natural to me. I've never had a negative comment, nor my husband or the two children. People have been very appreciative and supportive. I dressed vintage inspired for a looong time before I got into authentic vintage clothing.

Nick D said:
Sit and study, roam the library, go grocery shopping, see a play, take a walk, read...all the things I used to do in jeans and a t-shirt, for the most part. It's become just the way I dress. I get comments like that, too, but I don't mind.

I've found my vintage attire very toned-down, after verbal abuse from both family and friends (not to mention strangers) about how I need to get with the times and not be so dressed up all the time. I dress always in a collared shirt and nice pants or jeans, but I'm currently looking for a more casual fedora-type hat, as well as a panama of some sort. But as a small-town loading dock manager, there really isn't much reason for me to wear a suit for anything. But it is for that very reason I'm trying to find a job that allows me to wear a suit for work.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Wisdom of the Ancients (Golden Age Dept.)...

AtomicEraTom said:
I've found my vintage attire very toned-down, after verbal abuse from both family and friends (not to mention strangers) about how I need to get with the times and not be so dressed up all the time....But as a small-town loading dock manager, there really isn't much reason for me to wear a suit for anything. But it is for that very reason I'm trying to find a job that allows me to wear a suit for work.

Dear Tom,
My Father-in-Law is the perfect Golden Age life story: Michigan farm boy; played minor league baseball and hockey; WWII: enlisted in the 10 Mtn Division "saw the world" and managed to survive it...came back, did the GI Bill (as a Commercial Artist)....found that didn't pay, lived on a houseboat(!), married my wife's mother, ran an orchard, founded a plastics company (they may giggle at that line from THE GRADUATE...but it's only because they don't understand. It was the truth...and excellent advice!...for the men of that vintage)...and then ended up as middle management in a firm making widgets for the American Automotive Industry in it's greatest days.

The advice he always gave his daughter--first in the family to go to college, etc. (like I say: this is the story line for that entire generation)--was: "Always dress for the job you WANT, not the job you have." It worked for him: it worked for her. And--although time has gone on, and I can't promise it--it will probably work for you. What's to stop you from dressing well on the dock? Believe me: they did, once upon a time. If you're the manager....well, dress like the manager. A suit may be a bit much--and I expect that, in the day, your predecessor might have come to work in a suit and tie, but doffed the jacket "on the job"; or come in a tie, hat, and eisenhower-type jacket, say. I'm sure you can do it without making it seem that you're putting down your subordinates. Look well: be swell.

I want pictures....:)

"Skeet"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82