Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nice shots, Mike! I gotta say, I do love my job (most of the time)! Even though archeology is obviously my primary duty, we work very closely with our biologists, so I get a lot of opportunities to participate in their projects. Typically when we do surveys for projects, we do them together, alternating biologist/archeologist on our transects.

I always think of Roy Chapman Andrews' Central Asiatic Expeditions, as a model for success in my professional life. They set out to find evidence of human evolution, based on the work of Andrews' mentor and friend, Henry Fairfield Osborn, who referred to Asia as the "Mother of Continents." Andrews never did find the evidence of human evolution on those expeditions, but just look at what he did find! Just goes to show that cross-disciplinary cooperation is the key to real discovery!

I've been scanning in a few of the photos from Dragon Hunter, which I haven't been able to find elsewhere. I'll upload them as I edit them to remove the moire pattern, because there are a few pretty cool images of Andrews, the consummate Golden Age explorer.

ExpeditionStaffHatt-in-Sumu1928.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Just goes to show that cross-disciplinary cooperation is the key to real discovery!
I sense a joint biological-archaeological expedition in the works!
...as soon as we both finish up these doctorates of course. :D

Mike K.

One Too Many
Men and Women Wanted for Hazardous Expedition

Small wages (if any), tortuous heat, long months away from home, constant journey, likely exposure to insect-borne diseases, venomous snakes as bedfellows, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success. Contact Dr. Jack or Dr. Mike if interested.
lol :eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I get to keep all the interesting horticultural discoveries I find, right? You boys can have the animal trophies I expect the rights to and credit of discovery of the botanical wonders. :D

I'm still packing a shotgun, though.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pulled out my 29 Palms map sheets but I only have the West half, I guess someone snaked my East at some point. :eek:

Strangely enough, the mountains all look similar to me. :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
Small wages (if any), tortuous heat, long months away from home, constant journey, likely exposure to insect-borne diseases, venomous snakes as bedfellows, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success. Contact Dr. Jack or Dr. Mike if interested.
Being quite serious, I am only 17 at the moment, but in two years time I will be on a gap year in which I intend to travel to North (and maybe South) America. If you are actually doing any expeditions then and are in need of someone with very basic survival skills but willing to learn I would be interested in joining.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bburtner@moran said:
Is this expo reality or are you just yanking some peoples chains?

I believe, from the context, that would be "satire" on the kinds of ads used in older novels and stories about expeditions.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike K. said:

rocks.jpg

Having been on an expedition led by Dr. Jack....I believe we are calling it the Hunt for White Pictures, I can recommend such excursions highly.

That said...I can cook for such expeditions, and have both Jungle (Amazonian) and Desert experience.

Mike K.

One Too Many
bburtner@moran said:
Is this expo reality or are you just yanking some peoples chains?
carebear said:
I believe, from the context, that would be "satire" on the kinds of ads used in older novels and stories about expeditions.
Well, it was a joke but definitely don't put it past me, Mojave Jack, and a few others to actually pull together something real.

The "ad" was based on the real-life advertisement placed by Ernest Shackleton in a London newspaper in August 1914 for his legendary Antarctic Expedition.
Here's the original:
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant journey, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success."
Supposedly about 5000 people responded to the Shackleton ad.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well everyone, from the looks of it we have quite a few people interested in actually getting together. I already have my share of adventures coming up - first my brother's wedding, then my doctorate defense, I promised myself a trip to east Africa once the PhD is completed, and I am looking at another biological expedition to the jungles of Trinidad. I would, of course, love to have some travel partners for the Africa trip (whenever that may happen) but I would certainly be interested in also doing something closer to home if the group is interested.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Absolutely out adventuring! Today I spent doing maintenance on the Bighorn Sheep guzzlers we have located up in the mountains at the east end of the base. It was a great opportunity to test my new Stratton under adverse field conditions. It hit about 99-100 today, and very little wind.

Here's our ride for the day, a Bell HC412. That's the new Stratton, an F-42, rebashed and with a brown pug added. I find that chambray simply can't be beat for hot field days, and is still comfortable even in long sleeves.

MojaveJackattheNorthGuzzlerLZ.jpg

We flew from Mainside at the Combat Center to a relatively smooth spot on the mountain, where we had to hike about a half kilometer to the guzzler. Look closely at this pic, and you'll see the two tanks of the guzzler in the wadi. They're camouflaged to help protect the Bighorns from poachers.

NorthGuzzler.jpg

At the guzzler, which collects and stores water for the Bighorns, I had the unenviable task of cleaning out the pan where the bighorns drink. It is the stinkiest conglomeration of dead bees, bird poop, algae, and Bighorn Sheep saliva that you can imagine, made all the more interesting by the 400-500 bees (80% chance they are the Africanized variety) constantly hovering around and in the pan. No photos of that,unfortunately, because we had a limited window before our ride came back and we had to get the job done. I did not get stung, incidentally. The bees generally do not get agitated unless you kill one,or flail like an idiot every time one comes near you.

Here's the hike back up to the LZ from the guzzler, with Safari Steve, one of our biologists. Although it was only about a 500 meter hike, it was a helluva hike!

SafariStevehikingbackupfromtheNorth.jpg

Our ride arrives

HC412awaitstheGuzzlerTeam.jpg

Back on board for the flight to the South Guzzler

MojaveJackontheHC412.jpg

Jack, cool copter, and I agree, chambray shirts probably are as good a shirt as a guy can wear.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Mike, I am down for the adventure, money isn't important, I don't have any now anyway :)

Pretty good with a compass, pretty good with a rifle or pistol. Spent a lot of time out of doors. Usually very aware of surroundings.

Snakes and bugs don't scare me. (I do hate snails and slugs though...ICK)..

Anyway, where do I apply?

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az