Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
Highlander said:
Mike, I am down for the adventure, money isn't important, I don't have any now anyway :)
Anyway, where do I apply?
Well, that's item number 3 or 4 on the agenda. Let me get through the family affairs and PhD work first.

Highlander

A-List Customer
My brother is an inch away from his PhD or EeD one or the other. ABD is what they call it I believe.. "All But the Disertation"... Try as I might, I can't get him to finish it. Then he reminds me of my short comings. Hell, he'd probably want to come with us, if his wife will let him :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Well, that's item number 3 or 4 on the agenda. Let me get through the family affairs and PhD work first.
lol Ditto! Been taking too much time away from the dissertation as it is!

And Nick Charles certainly isn't helping, coming over here and distracting me!

We visited the Kelso Depot in the Mojave National Preserve over the weekend, and visited a rock art site I learned about from a Chemehuevi friend of mine. We also hiked a short trail called the Ring Trail, which is a fun climb down a cut canyon.

First stop, historic Kelso Depot, built in 1923, where we had lunch at the counter before viewing the three floors of displays.
KelsoDepotsm.jpg

Then a back route through the Preserve, where the hills were awash with Desert Mallow
DesertMallow.jpg

Where we spotted a couple eagle's nests
NearbyEaglesNestsm.jpg

Down to the rock art site (Nels, note the 1908 pattern water bottle! In use, as always!)
JackRockArtsm.jpg

Then we negotiated the Ring Trail at Hole-In-The-Wall
NicknegotiatestheRingTrailsm.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Found this Willis & Geiger safari jacket at Goodwill today. Been looking for something like this for a while.
safarijacket001.jpg

This is pretty neat. The bi-swing pleats turn into pleated vents below the belt. Fine quality.
safarijacket002.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Nice jacket. There is a very similar early Orvis jacket (where and when did they go wrong?) in a charity (goodwill) shop in my town at the moment, Missing its belt. Much too big for me.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys! It's my first safari/bush jacket and I must say, these things are terrific.

BellyTank said:
Willis & Geiger used to be very good at copying military uniforms.

B
T

The cut and details of the jacket (pockets, pocket flaps, etc.) seem very British to my eyes.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Optics

Well, it's been quiet here so I think time to post more pictures of adventure items. Today's topic is binoculars. If you're going to be on safari you'll certainly want some optics to let you see things off in the distance.

In my quest to find items that fit with my 1963 Land Rover I went searching for British made binoculars and found that even today WWII vintage items were easy to come by, so that's what I ended up with:

binoculars2.jpg

binoculars1.jpg

These came with the original leather case which needed some minor repairs but otherwise both the case and the binoculars are quite usable.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
WW2 British binoculars are relatively cheap and freely available - a bit of a bargain.I think Military compasses are something else - they go for more than they are really worth, I think. I wonder why?

Anyone can use binoculars for a whole variety of modern purposes, but few people appear to know how to use a prismatic compass. Even the basic WD 'slot and mirror' marching compasses are going for over 100GBP. You can get Taylor-Hobson and Kershaw army binos for 30GBP - Ross RN binos are more expensive, but still much cheaper than the average MK V compass. I can't make sense of that.

I have my grandfather's WW1 binoculars, my father's WW2 binos, one uncle's MKV compass and another uncle's prewar baby Rolleiflex. The only one I don't use regularly is the Rollei, as the film and paper is difficult to obtain, except over the WWW.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
What's the magnification and objective lens diameter of those binoculars? Just at a guess I think they could be something like 10x50 as that's fairly standard for big binoculars like that as it's easy to use.

It might be an idea to start an optical instrument thread (if there isn't on already) as I have a lot to say there since I have a small collection of them for astronomical purposes.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
avedwards said:
What's the magnification and objective lens diameter of those binoculars? Just at a guess I think they could be something like 10x50 as that's fairly standard for big binoculars like that as it's easy to use.

These binoculars are not all that big. I believe they are 6x30, so not quite as power as you guessed. This does seem to be a common size for the WWII era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az