Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh my dear Viola, there are so many wonderful roses that are not the 'modern' ones- they are usually very fragrant and so lovely. Though I do like modern floribundas and many of the David Austins...

Viola said:
Good golly, Miss Dolly, I need a town eye-doctor now!

To think I had innocently been pondering either Color Scheme A: Graham Thomas, Sunsprite, Summer Song, Vavoom, Cary Grant (<--he's orange, isn't he?), St. Patrick, and Oranges and Lemons, or Colour Scheme B: Zepherine Drouhin, Scentsation, The Fairy, New Dawn, Peace, Angel Face, and a purple one of some kind I can't remember now! You betrayed me, James!

Actually it just strikes me I need to learn more antique roses my whole list is new stuff.

Viola said:
Good golly, Miss Dolly, I need a town eye-doctor now!

To think I had innocently been pondering either Color Scheme A: Graham Thomas, Sunsprite, Summer Song, Vavoom, Cary Grant (<--he's orange, isn't he?), St. Patrick, and Oranges and Lemons, or Colour Scheme B: Zepherine Drouhin, Scentsation, The Fairy, New Dawn, Peace, Angel Face, and a purple one of some kind I can't remember now! You betrayed me, James!

Actually it just strikes me I need to learn more antique roses my whole list is new stuff.

Purple? How about Reine des Violettes?:
586.jpg

This one does great things for me in the garden.
Angel Face is pretty much purple--at least the ones I see here.
As you can tell, I like the second colour scheme better. ;) Another pink you can add along with The Fairy is Sydonie:
601.jpg

However they are completely different in growth habits. The Fairy is very small and good for containers. Sydonie is very large growing.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The town's HAT EMPORIUM!!

I could be the town's Milliner, and Proprietress of the local hats and millinery supplies emporium, but a much larger version of the character of Irene Malloy had in the film "Hello Dolly"!! I'd need a VERY large place... It would have to have a large workshop AND a classroom area to teach hat trimming classes to the ladies in town.

For ladies' hats such as these perhaps:
369011329.jpg
368599807.jpg
365333794.jpg
362688693.jpg
362297537.jpg

Naturally I would carry all the best mens' hats as well, one part of the retail space would be alloted to them.

I'd carry plenty like this:
368584626.jpg
and of course some like this:
368896383.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Yes James, they are the first vintage dealers we as a family connected with, and have gotten so many wonderful things for all of us from them. Miz Jula, as I refer to her here on FL) is my vintage guru! Roberto is too, most especially for my husband Chuck. Great people to work with...

jamespowers said:
I see you know Roberto and Jula. ;) :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Might our vintage town need a music store? Selling violins and guitars, harmonicas, flutes, pianos, etc?

I love...love...LOVE antique pianos. I would be right at home in a piano store in a vintage town, hammering out classic oldies from the 20s and 30s on a beautiful, ivory-keyed Steinway. I would also sell sheet-music for all the latest and greatest hot jazz tunes of the day. If I had a piano-store, I would have instruments from...

Yamaha,
Steinway & Sons.
Chickering & Sons.
John Broadwood & Sons.
Richard Lipp & Sohn.

Gee-whiz, I'm starting to see a pattern here!... :D

Bechstein.
Baldwin.
Pianola (Player-pianos, anyone? Complete with rolls!)

... any others?

chanteuseCarey said:
Yes James, they are the first vintage dealers we as a family connected with, and have gotten so many wonderful things for all of us from them. Miz Jula, as I refer to her here on FL) is my vintage guru! Roberto is too, most especially for my husband Chuck. Great people to work with...

I think we are in the same boat with them. I saw Roberto and Jula just this last Sunday. :D

Shangas said:
Might our vintage town need a music store? Selling violins and guitars, harmonicas, flutes, pianos, etc?

I love...love...LOVE antique pianos. I would be right at home in a piano store in a vintage town, hammering out classic oldies from the 20s and 30s on a beautiful, ivory-keyed Steinway. I would also sell sheet-music for all the latest and greatest hot jazz tunes of the day. If I had a piano-store, I would have instruments from...

Yamaha,
Steinway & Sons.
Chickering & Sons.
John Broadwood & Sons.
Richard Lipp & Sohn.

Bechstein.
Baldwin.

... any others?

Are you planning on teaching as well. I could use some help with my Ukelele. :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Will you be needing people that can sing to be 'song demonstrators' (like I've seen in several old movies), to help the sheet music sales???

Shangas said:

Yamaha,
Steinway & Sons.
Chickering & Sons.
John Broadwood & Sons.
Richard Lipp & Sohn.

Bechstein.
Baldwin.

... any others?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
At the Alameda Flea Market perhaps?? I found out they sell at it, row Q. I never knew that until just the other night! Miz Jula never told me!! Daniel and I never got that far down in the vendor rows I guess... Are you then possibly also a member of ASDC- do we know each other?

jamespowers said:
I think we are in the same boat with them. I saw Roberto and Jula just this last Sunday. :D

chanteuseCarey said:
At the Alameda Flea Market perhaps?? I found out they sell at it, row Q. I never knew that until just the other night! Miz Jula never told me!! Daniel and I never got that far down in the vendor rows I guess... Are you then possibly also a member of ASDC- do we know each other?

Nope, not a member of ASDC. I did indeed see them at Alameda. He had a single breasted peak lapel that I wish fit me. :eusa_doh:
I am however in the same bay area as you and the same virtual our own vintage town. :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Teaching is a little outside my realm of expertise, but it would be nice to have a song-demonstrater to sing and/or play some of the tunes which I might have in-stock. George Gershwin started out playing the piano as a song-demonstrater in the 1910s and 20s.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I can sing, so can our daughter (age 15) and our son (almost 13). So we can help you out at the store! We don't play piano, but we know someone (actually two someones, and they both sing also)- FL member Miss1929 and our good deco friend Frederick Hodges. Look him up at www.frederickhodges.com

QUOTE=Shangas]Teaching is a little outside my realm of expertise, but it would be nice to have a song-demonstrater to sing and/or play some of the tunes which I might have in-stock. George Gershwin started out playing the piano as a song-demonstrater in the 1910s and 20s.[/QUOTE]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
I can sing, so can our daughter (age 15) and our son (almost 13). So we can help you out at the store! We don't play piano, but we know someone (actually two someones, and they both sing also)- FL member Miss1929 and our good deco friend Frederick Hodges. Look him up at www.frederickhodges.com

Shangas said:
Teaching is a little outside my realm of expertise, but it would be nice to have a song-demonstrater to sing and/or play some of the tunes which I might have in-stock. George Gershwin started out playing the piano as a song-demonstrater in the 1910s and 20s.

w00t!

So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last

Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past!

[Be-cause...]

Happy days are here again,
The skies above are blue again,
So let us sing a song of cheer again!
Happy days are here again!

All together, shout it now,
There's no-one who can doubt it now,
So let's tell the world about it now,
Happy days are here again!

Your cares and troubles are gone!
There'll be no more from now on!

Happy days are here again,
The skies above are clear again,
So let us sing a song of cheer again,
Happy days are here agaaaaain!

Hehe. One of my favourite tunes. Along with pianos, violins, guitars, zithers, harmonicas and player-pianos, song-selections would range from the 1900s all the way to the 1940s. Dixieland, hot jazz, swing and classic pop.

Chinatown My Chinatown.
Under the Bamboo Tree.
Ain't Misbehavin'.
Alexander's Ragtime Band.
Let's Misbehave.
Happy Feet.
I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire.
Goody-Goody!
Puttin' on the Ritz.
Charleston.

And hundreds of other beautiful classic tunes, all available in my ideal vintage music-store. Since I actually *have* original sheet-music of some of these songs, that might not actually be impossible...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this...

...but would a vintage town also require its own, old-school streetcar public transport system? Either electrically powered trams, or the old cablecar trams (a'la San Francisco)?

2003972079.jpg

Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley...

Of course, with a working cablecar system around town, we'd also need gripmen and conducters onboard...

If there's a river nearby our town, we might also need these:

delta-queen.jpg

Who here knows how to play a calliope?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi dhermann1,

Could you imagine these transporting us around town?

photo_streetcars.jpg

Better photograph of the kind of cablecars we might expect clattering around Vintageville, bells ringing merrily through the summer air.

Whoever's going to drive these things better be damn strong. These old cablecars are completely mechanically-operated, and gripmen need a lot of upper-body strength to be able to work the levers and grips to control the trolley.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Yes, cable cars require muscled "grip-men" for a fact. I observed this first-hand in San Francisco 30 years ago while my wife and I were travelling through California. I can still picture the operator handling the lever with a mighty effort. He smiled after making each connection. I had no doubt that he earned his pay.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe