Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

p51

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Can't we give "Covered Wagon"-type diesels (GM E- and F-models, Alco FAs, FPAs and PAs, FM Eries and C-Liners) some room too? The early E's were toward the height of Art Deco with those long noses... and the rare PA's (only four left!) have been dubbed "Honorary Steam Locomotives" by most railroad historians.
Yeah, I’d allow some very early diesels on the RR (but steam would still have to rule). I’m still waiting for the finishing touches on a PA-1 rebuild going on just south of where I live. Here’s a link to it: http://www.nkp190.com/. As for the watch, I have two of those so I’m good to go!
And I guess this can be the HQ vehicle for the “Fedora City National Guard”
JeepRide8June09.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
If there is a train...

Then my husband and I have to be the town's Lionel toy train reps and salespeople, and build a display module for the big front window of the department store.

What about a real EMD ABA train? I've got the Lionel repro.

chanteuseCarey said:
Then my husband and I have to be the town's Lionel toy train reps and salespeople, and build a display module for the big front window of the department store.

What about a real EMD ABA train? I've got the Lionel repro.
E's or F's? A triple-E is more impressive at 210' OAL (especially if we're talkin' 210' of old-school New York Central* two-tone-gray Lightning Stripes pulling a 17-car 1948 Twentieth Century Limited), but an F-series triple- or quad-header's easier to put together (and for anything other than flatland running, the F's are better due to traction-motor limitations).

*So I'm biased, indict me--NYC in the Michigan/Indiana/Ohio tri-state area was the old family business.

Cut me a break on special-orders in return for research on customers' custom projects?:D

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Well, if we have a train, then we need a hobo or two. Of course, they won't be full-time here, but they could stop by regularly. Not that i'm volunteering, i think hoboing was rather man's work :p. Maybe i can be the wide-eyed girl who comes down to the train yard with a couple cold Coca-colas and believes all the stories they tell me ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
J. Power's Flowers sounds pretty good to me.

Sign me up for seven rosebushes, okay? My front yard needs some beautifyin'!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
J. Power's Flowers sounds pretty good to me.

Sign me up for seven rosebushes, okay? My front yard needs some beautifyin'!

Then just step out onto the porch.

Mission accomplished. ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
How about Lavender Pinocchio for an 'antique' rose (from 1948) instead of Distant Drums? Its a favorite of mine and LP is in DD's parentage I believe. It looks so gorgeous- colors like old faded parchment and faded fabric...

James, we have over 100+ antique and new roses that we grow here, many are antique climbers, we'll offer to help you run the Rose Nursery! Yours will a nursery not just a flower shop right?? If not, then our family will own and run that in the town, like Vintage Gardens in CA, Ashdown Roses in SC, and Antique Rose Emporium in TX .

A GREAT online source for roses is:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php

jamespowers said:
I think I know of seven that just might work for you. Double Delight, Freckles, Old Port, Baron Girod d'lain, Rumba, Frau Karl Drushki and Distant Drums. You coordinate the colors though. ;) :p

chanteuseCarey said:
How about Lavender Pinocchio for an 'antique' rose (from 1948) instead of Distant Drums? Its a favorite of mine and LP is in DD's parentage I believe. It looks so gorgeous- colors like old faded parchment and faded fabric...

James, we have over 100+ antique and new roses that we grow here, many are antique climbers, we'll offer to help you run the Rose Nursery! Yours will a nursery not just a flower shop right?? If not, then our family will own and run that in the town, like Vintage Gardens in CA, Ashdown Roses in SC, and Antique Rose Emporium in TX .

I know but Distant Drums isn't subject to a number of diseases and such that LP is. I love it too though.
If I were to start a Rose nursery it definitely would not be a flower shop. ;) :p

chanteuseCarey said:

I looked over your post and realized that I missed a few salient points therein. :D
You have over 100 roses? Are you a rose nursery? I know they have the San Jose Rose Society down there. Are you a member?
I have gotten roses from all of those concerns you mentioned. I ran over to Vintage Gardens for their open garden days in May. Quite the spread they have. I could live with a set up like that and maybe even a bit bigger. ;) :p
I love the Help me find website. They have all kinds of information not only on roses. :eusa_clap I still have not obtained a plant of my most saught after rose though---Grenoble or Villa de Grenoble. My grandfather had that red rose in his garden but I have not been successful in finding it anywhere. [huh] :(
I really love my Madame Edouard Herriot that he grew though.

944.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic:
Hi jamesp- we are not a rose nursery, our front, back and side yards just look like it! Just for tricks here's a couple of pics of our front yard taken this year in May...
363929872.jpg

363929838.jpg

My husband and I even did a lecture on roses at Smith&Hawken at their Los Gatos store last year!

The helpmefind site doesn't show an "available from" on this rose?? Vintage doesn't have it available for custom root either??

jamespowers said:
I looked over your post and realized that I missed a few salient points therein. :D
You have over 100 roses? Are you a rose nursery? I know they have the San Jose Rose Society down there. Are you a member?
I have gotten roses from all of those concerns you mentioned. I ran over to Vintage Gardens for their open garden days in May. Quite the spread they have. I could live with a set up like that and maybe even a bit bigger. ;) :p
I love the Help me find website. They have all kinds of information not only on roses. :eusa_clap I still have not obtained a plant of my most saught after rose though---Grenoble or Villa de Grenoble. My grandfather had that red rose in his garden but I have not been successful in finding it anywhere. [huh] :(
I really love my Madame Edouard Herriot that he grew though.

944.jpg

chanteuseCarey said:
:eek:fftopic:
Hi jamesp- we are not a rose nursery, our front, back and side yards just look like it! Just for tricks here's a couple of pics of our front yard taken this year in May...
363929872.jpg

363929838.jpg

My husband and I even did a lecture on roses at Smith&Hawken at their Los Gatos store last year!

The helpmefind site doesn't show an "available from" on this rose?? Vintage doesn't have it available for custom root either??

Vintage doesn't have it and none of the other sources mentioned have it. I only found it growing at a public garden back east. No plants available. :( [huh]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I think I know of seven that just might work for you. Double Delight, Freckles, Old Port, Baron Girod d'lain, Rumba, Frau Karl Drushki and Distant Drums. You coordinate the colors though. ;) :p

Good golly, Miss Dolly, I need a town eye-doctor now!

To think I had innocently been pondering either Color Scheme A: Graham Thomas, Sunsprite, Summer Song, Vavoom, Cary Grant (<--he's orange, isn't he?), St. Patrick, and Oranges and Lemons, or Colour Scheme B: Zepherine Drouhin, Scentsation, The Fairy, New Dawn, Peace, Angel Face, and a purple one of some kind I can't remember now! You betrayed me, James!

Actually it just strikes me I need to learn more antique roses my whole list is new stuff.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Does our vintage town have a bookstore?

A vintage bookstore might have works by...

P.G. Wodehouse.
Raymond Chandler.
Ian Flemming.
Charles Dickens.
Kenneth Grahame.
Mark Twain.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Charles Darwin.
Enid Blyton.

All volumes would be hardcover, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe