Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Do we have any loungers with young sons, between 10-15? We might need some newsboys standing on street-corners selling papers for two cents like they did back then...

"EXTRA EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! VINTAGE-THEMED TOWN OPENS TO THE PUBLIC! NOTHING LATER THAN 1950!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!"

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have talked with a close friend of mine about a "vintage town" and he has always said that a good place to start is by all pitching into an old hotel from the era, restoring it and all moving in. We could have the garage full of our vintage cars and start to spread out! On the main floor we'd have a telephone operator that can transfer calls to any room of the hotel.

Good idea huh?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
our 13yo son could be a newsie! He just needs a newsboy cap...:)

Shangas said:
Do we have any loungers with young sons, between 10-15? We might need some newsboys standing on street-corners selling papers for two cents like they did back then...

"EXTRA EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! VINTAGE-THEMED TOWN OPENS TO THE PUBLIC! NOTHING LATER THAN 1950!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
300x300_6B_news.gif

There you go!

Forgotten Man said:
I have talked with a close friend of mine about a "vintage town" and he has always said that a good place to start is by all pitching into an old hotel from the era, restoring it and all moving in. We could have the garage full of our vintage cars and start to spread out! On the main floor we'd have a telephone operator that can transfer calls to any room of the hotel.

Good idea huh?

It would be a good place to put the radio station which could broadcast dance music from the ballroom. In the early days of broadcasting radio stations were often located in hotels.

Shangas said:
Does our vintage town have a bookstore?

A vintage bookstore might have works by...

P.G. Wodehouse.
Raymond Chandler.
Ian Flemming.
Charles Dickens.
Kenneth Grahame.
Mark Twain.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Charles Darwin.
Enid Blyton.

All volumes would be hardcover, of course.

Can I volunteer for the franchise??? As I am a bookdealer by trade. :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
V.C. Brunswick said:
It would be a good place to put the radio station which could broadcast dance music from the ballroom. In the early days of broadcasting radio stations were often located in hotels.

Say now, you're talkin' me kind of language!

What would be the call letters? How about KWAC? A.C. standing for Antique Colony? lol

We'd have to have a house band... maybe form a dance orchestra comprised of talented members here? Have dances and music every other night... When no band is playing, there would be a guy at the mike who would spin platters and old radio shows and such... how neat that would be!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I can possibly help you in three capacities.

I used to be a fine jewelry retail manager, so if there were an upscale boutique, say next door to the beauty salon, I could move right in.

I currently work for an animal hospital. With all the Lounger Pets, we will certainly need a nice, town Veterinarian. If he needs a nurse/secretary (especially if he's single and handsome), I'm in!

I can also help you in the role of town spinster. I'd be glad to wear house dresses and cardigans year round without respect for sweltering nor freezing temperatures, peek out curtained windows at all hours, and scare small children from my porch on Halloween! Come on now...you know every town needs one! lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
23SkidooWithYou said:
I can also help you in the role of town spinster. I'd be glad to wear house dresses and cardigans year round without respect for sweltering nor freezing temperatures, peek out curtained windows at all hours, and scare small children from my porch on Halloween! Come on now...you know every town needs one! lol

lol lol lol lol

You're ok!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
So long as we're talking jobs, I'd love to be the town's...

Stationer.
Journalist.
Archvist.
Music-store owner.

I would be a million kinds of happy living and working in my own stationery shop. Selling stamps, pens, inks, nibs, blotting-paper, envelopes, sealing-wax, noepaper, typewriter ribbons greetings cards and all other manner of things. In a perfect world, I'd also offer a full, fountain pen repair-service. I can repair some fountain pens, but not all...*grumbles*...wish I could.

:eusa_clap
Forgotten Man said:

What would be the call letters? How about KWAC? A.C. standing for Antique Colony? lol

We'd have to have a house band... maybe form a dance orchestra comprised of talented members here? Have dances and music every other night... When no band is playing, there would be a guy at the mike who would spin platters and old radio shows and such... how neat that would be!

This is station KFLR* broadcasting from the Hotel Stetson located Downtown. This is your announcer Victor C. Brunswick speaking. We now take you to the Fedora Lounge here at the Hotel Stetson for a program of dance music... :eusa_clap

Almost every dance band had their own theme song. This should be the theme song of our own dance band:

Ray Noble and his Orchestra -- My Hat's On The Side Of My Head (1934)
vocal by Al Bowlly

*Fedora Lounge Radio

V.C. Brunswick said:
:eusa_clap

This is station KFLR* broadcasting from the Hotel Stetson located Downtown. This is your announcer Victor C. Brunswick speaking. We now take you to the Fedora Lounge here at the Hotel Stetson for a program of dance music... :eusa_clap

Almost every dance band had their own theme song. This should be the theme song of our own dance band:

Ray Noble and his Orchestra -- My Hat's On The Side Of My Head (1934)
vocal by Al Bowlly

*Fedora Lounge Radio

A real Fedora Lounge would definitely have to have a place in the Town.
Trains are a good idea as well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps that could be at the local American Legion Hall building in the vintage town. I've gone to dances and dance lessons at a few local ones out here.

There would need to be a good sized room with plenty of tables and chairs, with a long bar counter, a full bar and a full commercial fitted kitchen. The other adjoining large room with a sprung floor for dances, including a full size (large) raised bandstand area/stage with a requisite grand piano. We'd need to sit maybe 200 for dining comfortably and accomodate at least 250-300 for dancing.

jamespowers said:
A real Fedora Lounge would definitely have to have a place in the Town.
Trains are a good idea as well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey said:
Perhaps that could be at the local American Legion Hall building in the vintage town. I've gone to dances and dance lessons at a few local ones out here.

There would need to be a good sized room with plenty of tables and chairs, with a long bar counter, a full bar and a full commercial fitted kitchen. The other adjoining large room with a sprung floor for dances, including a full size (large) raised bandstand area/stage with a requisite grand piano. We'd need to sit maybe 200 for dining comfortably and accomodate at least 250-300 for dancing.

Wow! For those size requirements, it would have to be a building all its own. Not there is anything wrong with that. A large watering hole and such would certainly have quite a draw. :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:

The time signal could be a duck call. Three o'clock...KWAC...KWAC...KWAC. lol K-W-A-C, the Fowl of the Air, Fedoraville.

We would also need:
- a home economist
- a physical culturist
- an organ and piano duo
- a soprano
- a tenor
- a male quartet
- a farm markets man (in rural territory) or a society reportrix (in big cities)
- a mercilessly overworked one-person news and sports department
- and of course a couple of Cheery Gloom Chasing Sunray Boys, the progenitors of the morning zoo.

Also, up on the roof where no one can see it, is an intimidating little rig-up consisting of an arc lamp with a million-watt pencil spot and a huge whirring disc apparatus, pointing into a very small, very dark room.
image001.jpg

Down in the hotel lobby there's a large radioish thing with a window in it...looks something like this.
4204596088_699b1d7140_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe