Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Fletch said:
The time signal could be a duck call. Three o'clock...KWAC...KWAC...KWAC. lol K-W-A-C, the Fowl of the Air, Fedoraville.

At the sound of the Kwac, the time will be twelve O' Kwac! lol I LIKE THAT! Sounds silly but would have been something a station would have done of that era! Not even joking on that one! All sorts of gimmicks were used on the air of that era.

Forgotten Man said:
At the sound of the Kwac, the time will be twelve O' Kwac! lol I LIKE THAT! Sounds silly but would have been something a station would have done of that era! Not even joking on that one! All sorts of gimmicks were used on the air of that era.

The call letters of many radio stations (and later TV stations) -- especially the old ones that have been around for many years -- had meanings, often reflecting the station's original ownership. In L.A., there's radio station KFWB (The Five Warner Brothers) which was owned by -- you guessed it -- Warner Brothers. KTTV Channel 11 (the Fox affiliate in L.A.) stood for "Times TV", its original owner being the L.A. Times.

Other examples I can think of are WLS in Chicago which was owned by Sears Roebuck and stood for "World's Largest Store". Radio station WCFL, which later became Chicago's first TV station was owned by the Chicago Federation of Labor.

KTAR (Phoenix radio station) - "The Arizona Republic" (newspaper)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Oh boy, don't get me started. Every now and then someone will hear an old CBS broadcast identifying from New York and ask, "What's with this WABC?" Well sonny...there wasn't yet any ABC, for one thing, and for two things, CBS had a subsidiary, Atlantic Broadcasting Co., that existed to own their O&O stations. Thus WABC - and their TV station, which prior to going commercial was W2XAB. The call sign WCBS became theirs in 1946 when a station in Springfield, IL, agreed to let it go.

Some calls stick around long after the owners. KRNT, Des Moines, began in 1935 under the Register 'N Tribune ;) papers. The Trib went the way of all afternoon dailies in the '80s, the Register got out of the broadcasting game, but KRNT it remains. Similarly, WMT of the Waterloo (IA) Morning Tribune stayed WMT even after moving to Cedar Rapids.

Sometimes the calls are hard to figure out. My dad and granddad both worked for KGLO in Mason City, IA, owned by the Globe-Gazette paper. I never knew what the call sign meant till just recently.

My favorite story was that of WEAF, the AT&T station that later become one of two NBC flagships. It got its name from the four elements: Water+Earth+Air+Fire.

I always thought it interesting that the major network affiliates in L.A. and New York paralleled each other. In New York there's WABC, WNBC and WCBS and in L.A. it's KABC, KNBC and KCBS, though the latter is fairly recent. For many years the CBS station was KNXT.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Oh boy, don't get me started. Every now and then someone will hear an old CBS broadcast identifying from New York and ask, "What's with this WABC?" Well sonny...there wasn't yet any ABC, for one thing, and for two things, CBS had a subsidiary, Atlantic Broadcasting Co., that existed to own their O&O stations. Thus WABC - and their TV station, which prior to going commercial was W2XAB. The call sign WCBS became theirs in 1946 when a station in Springfield, IL, agreed to let it go.

Some calls stick around long after the owners. KRNT, Des Moines, began in 1935 under the Register 'N Tribune ;) papers. The Trib went the way of all afternoon dailies in the '80s, the Register got out of the broadcasting game, but KRNT it remains. Similarly, WMT of the Waterloo (IA) Morning Tribune stayed WMT even after moving to Cedar Rapids.

Sometimes the calls are hard to figure out. My dad and granddad both worked for KGLO in Mason City, IA, owned by the Globe-Gazette paper. I never knew what the call sign meant till just recently.

My favorite story was that of WEAF, the AT&T station that later become one of two NBC flagships. It got its name from the four elements: Water+Earth+Air+Fire.

In LA, KMPC = McMillan Petroleum Company; KTTV= Times Tele Vision; KTLA=Televison Los Angeles; KCOP= Copley Broadcasting; in Chicago, WGN=World's Greatest Newspaper, and WLS, from the Sears Tower=World's Largest Store; in San Fransciso, KRON=Chronicle newspaper.

There are oodles more from 'round the country.

Prof. Steampunk

New in Town
Newspaper

I didn't quite make it through all 53 pages yet, but if you need a newspaperman, I'll be your Huckleberry. Had 20 years with 'em, first ones still with linotypes (look that up on Wikipedia, youngsters) and finished with ones sending computerized pages digitally to the press.

It could have a book store attached and the paper could print books as well (wanting to learn to make my own books, from making the paper, to setting the type, to making the covers).

Heck, I can even shoot sports pictures with old medium-format cameras and BULB flashes LOL

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Prof. Steampunk said:
I didn't quite make it through all 53 pages yet, but if you need a newspaperman, I'll be your Huckleberry. Had 20 years with 'em, first ones still with linotypes (look that up on Wikipedia, youngsters) and finished with ones sending computerized pages digitally to the press.

It could have a book store attached and the paper could print books as well (wanting to learn to make my own books, from making the paper, to setting the type, to making the covers).

Heck, I can even shoot sports pictures with old medium-format cameras and BULB flashes LOL

And since you're into steampunk, I expect the printing press to be with linotypes! (Wood blocks would be even better.)

Foofoogal

Banned
Did our vintage town have a Christmas celebration this year in the town square? Cocoa and cookies for all perhaps?
Children singing and a brass band?
or a great Christmas parade.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Of course! And a great big Hannukah Bush in front of the Synagogue!
(AND, I suspect there will be a few clandestine Druids celebrating the Winter Solstice with a big bonfire as well.)
However . . . that gets us back to probably the greatest controversy this thread ever had. I.e. "Will there be snow, or will there not be snow?" Let the pillow fight begin!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I had read through this thread since I got on the lounge...and I have discovered one fatal flaw in the plan (now this may be my rabid teenage hormones talking) HA! But I see no mention of a red light district. What gives? Can't a guy expect to have some fun on a Saturday night and live to regret it Sunday morning? ;)

*Takes cover from any incoming kitchen ware (of the cast iron variety) and being called a filthy louse!*

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
However . . . that gets us back to probably the greatest controversy this thread ever had. I.e. "Will there be snow, or will there not be snow?" Let the pillow fight begin!

That depends, Dan, where the town is geographically located. Personally, I would like some snow, but then again I don't like cold weather, so I guess I can't have my cake and eat it...:(

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
An old buddy I went to college with at Fredonia State, in western NY State, and I, invented the "Mythical State of Alleghany". It would comprise the 3 southwestern most counties of New York (Chautauqua, Cattauragus and Allegany), the western 2/3rds of Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Among other things, it was designed to be the poorest state in the union. Anyway, I'm quite sure our own "Vintage Town" will be found somewhere in that region. Heavily coal dependant, lots of steam trains, etc., etc.
There would be plenty of lake effect snow in the north, but maybe less further south.
Then again, there are those who want it in the pleasantness of the Sun Belt. Something to be said for that too. In fact, I think it already has been said. lol

dhermann1 said:
An old buddy I went to college with at Fredonia State, in western NY State, and I, invented the "Mythical State of Alleghany". It would comprise the 3 southwestern most counties of New York (Chautauqua, Cattauragus and Allegany), the western 2/3rds of Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Among other things, it was designed to be the poorest state in the union. Anyway, I'm quite sure our own "Vintage Town" will be found somewhere in that region. Heavily coal dependant, lots of steam trains, etc., etc.
There would be plenty of lake effect snow in the north, but maybe less further south.
Then again, there are those who want it in the pleasantness of the Sun Belt. Something to be said for that too. In fact, I think it already has been said. lol

Or it could be the fictitious state of "Winnemac", an amalgram of several Midwestern states* that was the setting of Sinclair Lewis' novels Main Street, Babbitt, and Elmer Gantry. If I remember my reading of Babbitt, the main cities were Zenith, Monarch and Galop de Vache (the state capital). :)

*including Sinclair Lewis' native Minnesota

JimWagner

Practically Family
I did search this thread, but may have missed it. So I'll sign up to be the local radio and appliance repairman if the job's not already taken. Along with being the local ham radio operator, which I actually am :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe