Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

We also need a good old fashioned amusement park which would combine the best features of Coney Island, Elitch's Gardens, Hershey Park, Long Beach Pike, and Santa Monica Pier, among others, back in their heyday. Depending on the location it would either be an amusement pier or a trolley park.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snow no and snow yes!

Since this place is already in the land of Willing Suspension of Disbelief, can't it be snowy for the ones who like it and not snowy for those who hate it?

:eek:fftopic: Forgotten man, did you know I used to play in a restaurant that was originally the Santa Fe Depot for Berkeley, CA? It was swell. It's a school now, darn it.

Miss 1929 said:
Since this place is already in the land of Willing Suspension of Disbelief, can't it be snowy for the ones who like it and not snowy for those who hate it?

:eek:fftopic: Forgotten man, did you know I used to play in a restaurant that was originally the Santa Fe Depot for Berkeley, CA? It was swell. It's a school now, darn it.

The restaurant is closed?! Darn! I haven't been there in a while; I guess. :eusa_doh:
No snow none of the time. :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
You can always go to Colorado for Christmas Vacation. If you want rain---Seattle could be a nice winter vacation. ;) :p

Say, who died and made you God? lol Last time I checked the weather isn't something we can really control.

Also, I think a land of eternal sun and no weather would be a super bore after a while! We all need some weather to give us a reason to stay inside and have some hot drink and relax, right?

Forgotten Man said:
Say, who died and made you God? lol Last time I checked the weather isn't something we can really control.

Also, I think a land of eternal sun and no weather would be a super bore after a while! We all need some weather to give us a reason to stay inside and have some hot drink and relax, right?

I didn't say it couldn't be cold---just NO SNOW. :p
Time to break out the Tom and Jerrys.
Oh and no one died--- I just am. ;) :p

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
V.C. Brunswick said:
We also need a good old fashioned amusement park which would combine the best features of Coney Island, Elitch's Gardens, Hershey Park, Long Beach Pike, and Santa Monica Pier, among others, back in their heyday. Depending on the location it would either be an amusement pier or a trolley park.

Locate the park at the lake side; kids could enjoy the rides, couples could rent boats for leisurely paddling about; a dance pavilion could partially overhang the waters with large french doors opening to permit cooling breezes inside; a picnic area would be festooned with chinese lanterns, wooden tables, and a gravel driveway; trolleys would run hourly from downtown; families could motor up during the summer along the gently swerving Lake Road.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
I say snow for Christmas time... for three or four days... say, from Dec. 1st to Jan 1st. That would be nice I think.

If it don't snow, I at least would love lots of rain during the winter months! I like weather, it can be fun.

Could snow be limited to the mountains, while the sunny climate and hot jazz keeps the temp high enough to prohibit ice formation? Those yearning for a white Christmas could vacation in the snow-only zone, while others enjoy amazingly temperate holidays below...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I had two white Christmas' in Canada... and yes, the snow lasted for 6-9 months of the year, I would have to say that it was really neat to have snow for the holidays. I think most Californians would enjoy snow for a few weeks. And that way Disneyland wouldn't have to shoot soap suds into the air to pass off as snow on Main Street. lol

That way we can put our heavy vintage coats to work! This Jan is making me sad, it's almost 80 out... not my idea of a nice cool Jan!:mad:

We have hot/warm weather most of the year, I think some cooler temps would be fine for a month or more.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Every month or every few months, the town should celebrate a Decade party and invite the general public to town. One party where the theme is the turn of the century (1900s), one where it's the Jazz Age and the Prohibition era, one during the Depression, a wartime party, and a 50s Postwar party.

The town and townspeople would be dressed accordingly. Bowlers, top hats, boaters, barbershop-quart' outfits, then suits, then bum-clothes, then military uniform. Cars would change from 1900s Stanley steamers and Fords and Maxwells to Deusenbergs and Cryslers, to army jeeps...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Every month or every few months, the town should celebrate a Decade party and invite the general public to town. One party where the theme is the turn of the century (1900s), one where it's the Jazz Age and the Prohibition era, one during the Depression, a wartime party, and a 50s Postwar party.

The town and townspeople would be dressed accordingly. Bowlers, top hats, boaters, barbershop-quart' outfits, then suits, then bum-clothes, then military uniform. Cars would change from 1900s Stanley steamers and Fords and Maxwells to Deusenbergs and Cryslers, to army jeeps...

We have something close to that... it's called Disneyland. lol

The problem with doing that is the town will become a "theme" park atmosphere. During the 30s only a few could own a Deusenberg or any high priced cars... Most cars one would see are late 20s and early 30s Ford’s Chevy’s and Plymouths and by the 40s only the Army had jeeps... can't forget the “Home-front” Most late 30s cars and pre ’42 cars were around during the war, just limited gas and tires to go around

I think themed parties would only perpetuate the over generalized impression of life in the 1900's as being "Barber Shop" and "Bicycle for Two" type of days... And the 20s being all "flappers" and "gangsters" type of association as well into the 30s.

I think if we had a train station, a line of track that went to a larger town would be swell to bring in visitors on Saturdays… so people can observe what life was like in the early 20th Century.

Forgotten Man said:
We have something close to that... it's called Disneyland. lol

The problem with doing that is the town will become a "theme" park atmosphere. During the 30s only a few could own a Deusenberg or any high priced cars... Most cars one would see are late 20s and early 30s Ford’s Chevy’s and Plymouths and by the 40s only the Army had jeeps... can't forget the “Home-front” Most late 30s cars and pre ’42 cars were around during the war, just limited gas and tires to go around

I think themed parties would only perpetuate the over generalized impression of life in the 1900's as being "Barber Shop" and "Bicycle for Two" type of days... And the 20s being all "flappers" and "gangsters" type of association as well into the 30s.

I think if we had a train station, a line of track that went to a larger town would be swell to bring in visitors on Saturdays… so people can observe what life was like in the early 20th Century.

You want to see all "black out" model cars. :D ;) My uncle had one of those during the war-----no chrome or stainless on it at all all trim was painted---black. It reminds me of cars today with their monochromatic color schemes.
Interstingly, my grandmother had a huge disdain for flappers as their connotation was one of loose morals. So flapper was actually a bad word to her. ;) :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Awwww...But Deusies are so pretty...

1930_Duesenberg_Model-J_LeBaron_Phaeton_01.jpg

1933-duesenberg-model-j-dual-cowl-phaeton.jpg

Tell me that ain't one of the most awesome cars in the world. There should be at least one in Retroville.

Car's a 1930 Deusenberg Model J Pheaton, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe