Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
OK, I've just returned from Optimo where I was relieved of significant funds...
The already high quality felt has continued to improve. In the standard felts a Charcoal and Teal have been introduced and Oxblood has returned. Others will be posted when their site is revised.There are additions to the Flecked(Heathered) felts in the darker Gray range while Cypress, Khaki and Toast return.
The big news is in the specialty felts. The 1000($) line has expanded with 4 colors and some new Beaver/Mink Blends. These are in the Black,White ,Navy Gray range. There are two new Velour Finishes: A semi-lightweight moderate length akin to Borsalino XXX's and Post-War German/Austrian French examples
and a more substantial high-sheen Seal-Velour style like the early Austrian Hückels. Colors are saturated...Black, Indigo Blue and Cognac with a light Gray and Camel in the lighter weight.
Last is a spectacular true Silver Beaver Felt(like the MacLachlan), in a natural un-dyed Silver Color selected from the central strip of felt on the belly. It is nearly soft as Goose-Down or Cashmere and shapes beautifully.

They are really setting the standard for modern felt quality. If your wallet is overflowing or you just love fine felt and indebtedness, give them a call. Big money but a superior product.

*not a paid endorsement;)

And what did you get Robert?:)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
And what did you get Robert?:)

Silver Beaver with an 18 ligne pale peach-blush/tan ribbon underwelt, and lightweight Camel Velour with slightly lighter mocha/milk caramel 20-22 ligne ribbon and raw edge-somewhat like the Freud Hat.
Both in the 2-3/8-2-1/2" brim range and 5-1/2" crowns, #5 and 52.

DRB

One Too Many
RLK, thanks for the info!

Is the Silver Beaver felt one of their $1000 line? Also, did they give you a build date?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Silver Beaver with an 18 ligne pale peach-blush/tan ribbon underwelt, and lightweight Camel Velour with slightly lighter mocha/milk caramel 20-22 ligne ribbon and raw edge-somewhat like the Freud Hat.
Both in the 2-3/8-2-1/2" brim range and 5-1/2" crowns, #5 and 52.

These sound incredible.

OT1899

Familiar Face
To RLK ...

Thanks for the update and congrats on your selections! Please post pictures when you receive them!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
DRB said:
RLK, thanks for the info!

Is the Silver Beaver felt one of their $1000 line? Also, did they give you a build date?

I toughed out this painful task for the benefit of the Lounge:rolleyes:
Glad to share.

I'm not certain if the regular price will be $850 or $1000 I don't want to give incorrect info. October 2nd is the delivery date.

Also remembered a nice Havana Brown color.

DRB

One Too Many
RLK: The Silver Beaver Felt should be a sight to behold. Sounds very exciting. :)

I put a deposit down. My hat should be done Sept 25. Just waiting on the color swatches to arrive. I can't afford the Silver Beaver, but some sort of cream beaver color should do me nicely.

Lefty: thanks for the link.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
DRB said:
RLK: The Silver Beaver Felt should be a sight to behold. Sounds very exciting. :)

I put a deposit down. My hat should be done Sept 25. Just waiting on the color swatches to arrive. I can't afford the Silver Beaver, but some sort of cream beaver color should do me nicely.

Lefty: thanks for the link.
Not sure how light exactly you are looking for, but the Fleck(Heather)"Khaki" is an interesting alternative in that general color area that is very flexible with clothing and less common. Its a classic weight and kind of a tan/cream/light brown mix.

DRB

One Too Many
rlk said:
Not sure how light exactly you are looking for, but the Fleck(Heather)"Khaki" is an interesting alternative in that general color area that is very flexible with clothing and less common. Its a classic weight and kind of a tan/cream/light brown mix.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

DRB

One Too Many
Good question, I do however, expect the swatches to arrive any day now in the mail. There was a bit of a delay as it took some time to cut up all the swatches and get them ready to be mailed, according to Tiffany.

OT1899

Familiar Face
American Way Magazine

Was on an AA flight today reading an article on Buddy Guy, the great blues legend from Chicago. I turned the page and there was a picture of Graham and information on Optimo Hats. Apparently Buddy is a regular customer and took the writer of the article by Optimo as part of the interview. It was a well written article and it's always good to see publicity regarding hats and great hat makers! Check it out if you're on an AA flight this month...

DRB

One Too Many
This just in.....

Here are the new color swatches for the year that Tiffany sent to me....
(The colors look different on my monitor) You have to order your own samples to see the true colors, sorry. This photo was taken in the sunlight.

OptimoColorsSept2010.jpg

I don't see any brown colors? Not sure if she sent all the colors to me. I have to call her. Way too many questions.

Viper Man

Banned
That's a shame. Well, I guess I'll never own an Optimo since I had a hard time justifying $550. I sure am glad that there are more affordable hatters out there offering custom fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe