Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm really liking this whole newsletter idea. Interesting reads. And BW - has Graham mentioned anything about his upcoming new website?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm very interested in an Optimo felt. I just found this thread and I've enjoyed reading it. I especially like the Youtube vid posted in the first few pages.

EDIT: After contacting Optimo about their standard pricing, I was shocked! Those must be some really good hats, as they quoted to me a starting price of $500+.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Chicago, First Look
September 9th
Time: 6pm - 9:30pm
Unveiling and first orders taken of the 2011 felt collection. Call Optimo at 773.238.2999 to attend. Limited space.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
I'm very interested in an Optimo felt. I just found this thread and I've enjoyed reading it. I especially like the Youtube vid posted in the first few pages.

EDIT: After contacting Optimo about their standard pricing, I was shocked! Those must be some really good hats, as they quoted to me a starting price of $500+.

Yeah, that's the reason I don't have an Ox Blood Optimo Dillinger. I'm certainly not knocking Optimo's quality or product, but personally, $550 is just a bit too much for a hat.

DRB

One Too Many
daizawaguy, I have been waiting patiently for the new colors to come out in September. Wish I could attend the showing but I will have to wait for color swatches to be sent to me. The fedora #1 style rocks. I have one in Neptune Blue and it is worth every penny.

Neil

A-List Customer
Can't argue with that . . . .

Earlier poster said:

Yep. $550 borders on lunacy. And while Graham makes a truly excellent hat, it is simply not twice as good as, say, an Art Fawcett. However. Graham has a brick-and-mortar store to run, and staff to pay, and he is gambling, successfully, that top quality will draw a very high price.
Also, all that said, there is a hat shop here in Washington that peddles, for $350, demonstrably inferior hats, not just to Optimo's product, but also to run-of-the-mill stuff.
Graham's view is pay through the nose or go elsewhere, and I have on several occasions chosen to pay through the nose.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
You pay for the name. But unlike with the big companies and 'designers', you actually get something more than just a name. I had the opportunity to buy one second-hand as a gift, and from what I saw (and felt) when I looked it over before wrapping it up, I can certainly say it's a very nice hat. Just buying one new is out of my budget. :(

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
You also buy something that will be supported, cleaned and maintained at the highest level and quality of service that is far beyond what is offered by other modern produced products (shoes etc.). Many of us use their very reasonable refurbishing service. Other hatters do offer this, but if Optimo dissapeared, the hat world would be at a loss.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Daizawaguy is right on.

Regarding Optimo, I started with a second hand one. That's what convinced me to shell out for a custom of my own, and it was fully worth it. The price is steep, but I think one a year is doable. Does the price dictate that it be twice as good as, for example, an Art Fawcett? I wouldn't say so, nor would I say it IS twice as good, but with all high end clothing (because that's what this is in the end) there's quickly a point of diminishing returns. In the end, Art and Graham both make excellent hats, and both are happily in my regular rotation.

That said, my friends got together for my birthday this year and got me an Optimo gift certificate, so I'm eagerly awaiting the new felts! lol

EDIT: Oh yeah- I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This thread needs more pics. :)

Hückel Sigma Velour

Lexybeast said:
EDIT: Oh yeah- I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This thread needs more pics. :)

I don't have a custom made Optimo but here is a restore (new ribbon, sweat, liner) they did of a 1930s or older Hückel Sigma Velour of mine.

4155344949_509b43af24_b.jpg

4156106900_a5718f7ab1_b.jpg

4155345337_1396c82af4_b.jpg

Lando

Practically Family
4707684259_014903030a_z.jpg

There's a photo for you, lol. I posted this a while back in the new hat section but it is one of my favorite Optimo I own.
4707369191_b89e9508f5_z.jpg

I understand the money issue completely but at the same time I think when you buy an item of any kind made for you, you ask for more than just quality. I have found buying hats from Optimo probably one of the best customer service experiences out there, and that was just on the phone with them. When they were down to the last Mink body, Tiffany actually called and asked if I wanted it since I had mentioned a while back I was interested. I know it's a higher price than other very skilled people are charging, but I get a solid creation by Graham, excellent customer service, a dependable time table, and a company that actually seems to cares about its customers. It doesn't hurt that they vary their colors every years, when everyone else has the same basic lot year in and out. I've never cared about names on products. I've always cared about quality. Only people I know who ever care about hats are right here on this site, everyone else thinks I'm nuts. They couldn't care less if its an Optimo or a wool Baileys. You pay because you just love the quality. I love Adventurebilt for how solid they feel, I love Art's work for his excellent ribbon work and classic feel, I love my Beaverbrands for when there is a possibility I may lose my hat and dont want to cry the whole way home, and I like Optimos for their overall quality and customer service. I apologize for going on. Here's another photo for you lol.
4708327794_a807ffbcea_z.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm 100% positive that if I had the cash for an Optimo, I would buy one, and I would love it, and I would post here that it was worth every penny.

I'm still saving for one of Art's hats, I guess I'll start saving for an Optimo too! ;)

DRB

One Too Many
There have not been many pictures on this thread lately. I guess everyone is waiting for the new colors to come out in September? Anyway, not sure if you have seen these pics before but here ya go. Optimo, low crown, 2 1/8inch brim, underwelt, Neptune Blue

July172010StoweVermontRetreat1606.jpg

March20100061.jpg

OT1899

Familiar Face
Radio silence?

It sure is quiet on this thread ... seems all of the mobsters are laying low? What's going on in Chicago?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OT1899 said:
It sure is quiet on this thread ... seems all of the mobsters are laying low? What's going on in Chicago?

A recession, brother lol. Have you seen those prices! $500, and that's the starting price!

Lando

Practically Family
Also remember that the new colors are all about to come out for the season. There's a big trunk show in September and anyone who's looking to get an Optimo is probably waiting for those new colors to come out. I know I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe