Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Not to derail the thread, but I don't understand the eastman promo photos.
I don't understand what brand image it is trying to project, and I don't understand who the target market is.
Is the high-end version of buying your rebellion at the mall?
Is that what I've done?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Guess so.
The current marketing shtick directed at middle-aged guys: trying to force an image of "rugged manliness" (unkempt hair and gruffy beards...) and "rebellion" (against what?).

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fastuni,

First, I previously apologized for the "downright unnatural" comment.

Second, my comment about "getting laid" was expressly stated in jest, tongue firmly in cheek.

Third, even though we disagree, I respect your strong opinions about the subject. Thank you for respecting mine.

Superfluous

Not to derail the thread, but I don't understand the eastman promo photos.
I don't understand what brand image it is trying to project, and I don't understand who the target market is.
Is the high-end version of buying your rebellion at the mall?
Is that what I've done?

Guess so.
The current marketing shtick directed at middle-aged guys: trying to force an image of "rugged manliness" (unkempt hair and gruffy beards...) and "rebellion" (against what?).

I respectfully disagree. As a middle-aged man, I know very few such men who aspire to look like the Eastman models. I included the photographs solely to demonstrate that, contrary to what others set forth as a fashion maxim, well respected jacket manufacturers contemplate that end users will wear their jackets with untucked shirts. In other words, the untucked look, even if disfavored by some here, is well accepted within the community of leather jacket manufacturers and purchasers. Thats it. Like it or not, there are two equally righteous schools of thought, neither of which trumps the other.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I respectfully disagree. As a middle-aged man, I know very few such men who aspire to look like the Eastman models. I included the photographs solely to demonstrate that, contrary to what others set forth as a fashion maxim, well respected jacket manufacturers contemplate that end users will wear their jackets with untucked shirts. In other words, the untucked look, even if disfavored by some here, is well accepted within the community of leather jacket manufacturers and purchasers. Thats it. Like it or not, there are two equally righteous schools of thought, neither of which trumps the other.

Again, I'm honestly not trying to derail the thread, and I'm trying to type as I verbalize my thoughts on the issue (which I've never tried to verbalize before), so here goes;
I think the problem with the eastman photos and marketing for me is, as Fastuni points out, that they are selling a cookie cutter image of fake rugged manliness, and rebellion (against nothing in particular), and that does indeed suggest to me that eastman (and it's their choice, fair enough) has indeed bought into and is seeking to sell to, the kind of people who would have bought their rebellion at the mall until they got a proper job. They have every right to do so, if they wish.

However, I became interested in the style and clothes of 'the Golden Era' (or whatever) because of what I believe to be the better quality of the clothes of the period, which I also believe to be much more stylish than many of todays clothes (and yes, I do love gore-tex liners in my winter boots). Also, many of my film heros of the era looked so damn great, and represent to me some values of masculinity and manners that I feel have been discarded to our detriment (see, I really am a grumpy middle-aged man!).

Now, whilst I would protest that my love of vintage clothes and style does not mean that I have bought into recent hipster trends for anything labelled 'authentic' or 'vintage', I can see how that accusation could be made, and I think there certainly is some room for discussion on why we choose our preferred vintage style clothing to help signify our individuality, and how valid that is when 'authentic' and 'vintage' have become mainstream trends.

I guess we'll just have to see whose still standing (in their vintage threads) when the fad blows out amongst the great unwashed.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well put Big J. I think the stylized rugged or pseudo-hipster look done so boldly to sell a 'lifestyle" is always problematic.

This thread has been very interesting. For me, I only take from the vintage world what I can use. And generally it's about the quality of garments, not the look. Authenticity isn't significant to me. I enjoy other people's passion and knowledge of vintage items but I am a person of today and happy to be so. So if a repo Aero vintage jacket collar reminds me of a 1970's jacket collar, what can I do? I can't help seeing Seinfeld in the shirt tucked in jeans looks. I don't see Howard Hughes. Mind you, I can live with people tucking their pressed shirts into dress trousers. If I ever wore dress trousers I might well do that.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Howard Hughes was just an example.

Most men would agree that Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Fred Astaire or Humphrey Bogart were well dressed and looked cool, wouldn't they? High waisted trousers and tucked shirts. Granted it's more than that and not every pair of high waisted pants looks automatically cool. Still I cringe when I read comparisons to 80s/90s comedians.
It really feels like you don't have the ability to process the information. If you see an old picture you cherry pic the information. Like focussing on the fedora and not seeing the high waisted pants and tucked shirt. Or focussing on the halfbelt of the jacket and disregarding the length of the jacket and how it is worn. That's ok. But I see the Seinfeld/urkle comparison as an insult to those who see thewhole picture and want to achieve the whole look.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Relax FFF, I'm not trying to insult you. Just expressing my opinion which is my right. I don't have the ability to process information, you say. Maybe you weren't able to process my comment. I don't believe it is offensive to say that I take what I like from vintage and only that. So yes, in your words, I "cherry pick" from the golden era but I do so deliberately and without suppression of the facts. In other words, I like Bogart's trench coat, but you can have his suit. And if something old reminds me of something much newer then yes, perhaps I have no class, but not all of us are purists.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

That's alright. I am not angry. (non native speakers sometimes sound more strict) Of course you can dress like you want.

Just the fact that in a vintage themed forum high waisted pants still get ridiculed seems silly to me. Save the urkle pictures for style forum and let the FL keep their illusion they found likeminded people. ;-)

Plumbline

One Too Many
"Most men would agree that Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Fred Astaire or Humphrey Bogart were well dressed and looked cool,"

Not sure that's the case .... my 37 year old cousin certainly wouldn't ... and my 22 year old nephew certainly wouldn't either ...... that's the trouble with style, it's like religion. It's personal and just because one persons view doesn't agree with the next doesn't make either "WRONG" it just makes them different. Oh, and trying to get one or the other to accept that they are wrong is like trying to ice skate uphill without skates :D

Even here on "TFL" the variety of stylistic opinions amazes me .. and it's what makes the place great ..... there is no right or wrong ( take it from a "baggy jacket" wearer :D ). There is just "Right for you ! " .... that is the beauty of options :D

P.S. I can't do high waist jeans either they are simply not comfortable ( I've tried .. I really have !) but I am NEVER wearing flares or bell bottoms ever again .... or a tie in the same material as my shirt :D

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's alright. I am not angry. (non native speakers sometimes sound more strict) Of course you can dress like you want.

Just the fact that in a vintage themed forum high waisted pants still get ridiculed seems silly to me. Save the urkle pictures for style forum and let the FL keep their illusion they found likeminded people. ;-)

I understand. Actually I don't have an issue with high waist pants (unless ridiculously so) - I wear high waist jeans myself. I just don't tuck in my shirt. Which is where all this began. ;)

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I understand. Actually I don't have an issue with high waist pants (unless ridiculously so) - I wear high waist jeans myself. I just don't tuck in my shirt. Which is where all this began. ;)

Yeah, and for me that's the thing;
Don't tuck shirts into jeans, but what do I do if I'm wearing a shirt with jeans and a jacket? Out or in?
Tucked in looks great...until I unzip or take off my jacket.
I'm never gonna wear jeans and a jacket again! Lol.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Like I said:

That is your opinion. Many disagree, including prominent manufacturers of leather jackets. For example, Eastman has the following promotional photos on its website:

10413132_1479303788973605_1783318624_n.jpg

1599900_553756201406150_1819039488_n.jpg

863y.jpg

10354479_632594906814759_1765492139_n.jpg

DSCF3406.jpg

Aero's website:

49850bc9b3c647da_JH%2030s%20Halfbelt%20seal%20goatskin.jpg

7684d4ad50870efd_griffin_hwmn.jpg

2884d76420959827_highwayman-thomeroth.jpg

Real McCoys:

bj9110-030_5.jpg

R0068610-thumb-600x737-47131-thumb-600x737-47132.jpg

The manufacturers of leather jackets clearly do not believe that shirts "have to be" tucked in if worn with a leather jacket. In other words, there is no absolute rule.

I would just like to note that these photos on Aero's website are taken from customer gallery . Much as would like to influence how our customers dress , this is beyond our control .

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know that feeling BJ - I find that since I usually wear crisp, black shirts untucked they look fairly neat (and slimming) and I can wear them untucked with a blazer. As long as the shirt isn't too long. I know some hate the look, I'm comfortable with it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
The guy in the Eastman photos looks like Charlie Manson.
I think that's what's putting me off,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1