Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Edward

Bartender
A very big pet peeve of mine too. To me there is nothing more unflattering than a fat guy in trousers that are too small or a coat/jacket/suit that is too large. Guys who can't come to terms with the fact that their waist is no longer a size 34" and the only way they can continue to wear that size is to wear them completely underneath their belly.

Maybe that's the attraction of the shirt worn out - hides the jeans disappearing under the midriff? lol

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thomas Magnum also wore short trousers, as I recall. Clearly a barbarian whose sartorial opinion is worthless.

I suspect the real division here is between folks who are fans of leather jackets, and folks who favour an all-over vintage aesthetic.

On point one - if you look like Tom Selleck in 1983, it doesn't matter what you wear, you are going to get lucky tonight. :D

On point two - you hit the nail on the head.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
To be fair though, I think a decent fashion sense is lost on a lot of people (I wasn't even aware of numerical sizes until I started shopping for leather jackets). It's just a lost art. If I was to go on the street and ask 100 people what their chest size was, maybe one or two would know. There just isn't an interest in it.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
If I don't have my shirt tucked in, how will people be able to see my cool leather belt and brass buckle when I unzip my jacket or take it off?

John

I'm 47, I tuck in the shirt with slacks and a tie, occasionally with chinos, never with jeans. Most of the shirts I have, besides dress shirts, are cut square to be worn untucked. I have a few western models with shirttails, but most often wear them on cool days like a jacket, unsnapped over a tee shirt. I do not wear nor even own any polo type shirts so no good info on those from me.

Edward

Bartender
I just wonder what's the average age of people within this thread............
Yes, this is more of a generational discussion.

Maybe, but not how most folks might think.... my experience has always been that these days it's the Sixties generation - contemporaries of my parents- who fetishise casualness in all aspects of dress, as if it's somehow still an act of rebellion or striking out against the man or something.... (Jinkies, I got past the notion of "I'm on my time now, I can dress how I like!" around about when I last wore a school uniform...). Younger folks are more likely, in my experience, to be more intersted in being more put together. Of course thisl ikely varies widely with culture and geography.

I do not wear nor even own any polo type shirts so no good info on those from me.

The traditional polo shirt had a longer tail at the back - some of the more expensive ones still do, I believe. This was a design feature, intended to prevent it from riding up out of the wearers britches during the cut and thrust of the game.

Edward

Bartender
I'm 24. My parents always told me I looked like a dork when I tucked in, and so did my peers.

I was only ever once asked to untuck by my mother.... because she was, I think, embarassed that I was wearing rather high-waisted trousers in company. (She's never quite gotten why I'd want to dress like her parents' generation.) She doesn't make these comments any more.... I think she has realised the value of her opinion to me on such matters. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Maybe that's the attraction of the shirt worn out - hides the jeans disappearing under the midriff? lol

Saw 'A Most Wanted Man', which is Philip Seymore Hoffman's final film. There's a scene where he's trying to adjust his belt, and he actually has to reach under his gut and search around for his elusive belt buckle. Not pretty.
All this discussion puts in mind of The Thick of It, where a Tory spin doctor tries to persuade a politician to wear a shirt without a tie and not tucked in, but they abandon the idea because he "looks as if he's been startled by a fire alarm". :D

Plumbline

One Too Many
I think people should wear it how they like :D

My personal view re. shirts ... is tucked at all times, I'm a little undertall and untucked usually makes me look like I'm impersonating Wee Wullie Winkie.

T-shirts are a differnet matter .. I'm usually an untucked sort of guy leather jacket or not ( wether it hangs down below it or not). Slim fitting T's usually get tucked though.

Sweatshirts and jumpers ... tucking these in is just wrong ( it was wrong in the 80's when it was fashionable to do so !)

Hawaiian Shirts ..... not sure I have any in my wardrobe ..... western shirts yes, denim shirts yes, plaid shirts yes ...... dress shirts . yes lots of ..... but no Hawaiian I'd look more Higgins than Magnum :D

Edward

Bartender
Saw 'A Most Wanted Man', which is Philip Seymore Hoffman's final film. There's a scene where he's trying to adjust his belt, and he actually has to reach under his gut and search around for his elusive belt buckle. Not pretty.
All this discussion puts in mind of The Thick of It, where a Tory spin doctor tries to persuade a politician to wear a shirt without a tie and not tucked in, but they abandon the idea because he "looks as if he's been startled by a fire alarm". :D

Was that dear Malcom in one of his less sweary moments? lol

Yeah, the Hoffman thing... that's exactly it. Whatever folks do....wearing the correct-fitting size, irrespective of the label, will always be more flattering. Funny how hung up on the numbers we can get (remember the Seinfeld/i] episode where it was exposed that he rubbed out the sizing on his Levis and repainted it "because I want to be a 31, like I was in College"?).

Thinking about this some more, it has occurred to me that maybe this shirts-worn-out thing coincides with waistbands dropping ever lower, while shirt-tails have gotten shorter than once they were.... at some point, the one is alays gonig to struggle to be contained by the other, so perhaps that's where the notion of wearing it hanging out caught on?

(Oh.... and I've just noticed that the polo/tennis shirt I'm wearing today - tucked, of course, I'm not a barbarian is indeed a couple of inches longer at the back, per earlier comment....).

Edward

Bartender
With the high-wasted jeans/pants, aren't you guys concerned about the mom-jeans look?

"Mom-jeans" isn't a known term here. Frankly, though, however my personal sense of style has changed over the years, if I'm happy with what I'm wearing, I've never been one to much give an airborne fornication what others think. ;)

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Age is almost certainly a relevant factor. I suspect people older than 60 are more likely to tuck in shirts with jeans, and people younger than 30 are less likely. Of course, there are countless exceptions to these broad (and uninformed) generalizations.

I am neither young, nor a product of the 60s, nor cultivating an expanding gut, but I nevertheless always wear shirts untucked with jeans. I guess I do not fit in any of the suggested stereotypes. Go figure.

Interesting how this discussion has evoked polarizing views, attempts to stereotype people who tuck/untuck their shirts, and pejorative references to the other side of the fence (to the extent that I am guilty of this, I apologize). IMHO, people who tuck in their shirts with jeans are no better dressed than people who do not, and vice versa. No need to disparage those that pursue a different approach.

Age is almost certainly a relevant factor. I suspect people older than 60 are more likely to tuck in shirts with jeans, and people younger than 30 are less likely. Of course, there are countless exceptions to these broad (and uninformed) generalizations.

I am neither young, nor a product of the 60s, nor cultivating an expanding gut, but I nevertheless always wear shirts untucked with jeans. I guess I do not fit in any of the suggested stereotypes. Go figure.

Interesting how this discussion has evoked polarizing views, attempts to stereotype people who tuck/untuck their shirts, and pejorative references to the other side of the fence (to the extent that I am guilty of this, I apologize). IMHO, people who tuck in their shirts with jeans are no better dressed than people who do not, and vice versa. No need to disparage those that pursue a different approach.

+1, wholeheartedly.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the high-wasted jeans/pants, aren't you guys concerned about the mom-jeans look?

:eusa_doh: No.

Dude, do you ever read in the suits or the general attire forum? It's not the age of the posters (I am 33) but this:
I suspect the real division here is between folks who are fans of leather jackets, and folks who favour an all-over vintage aesthetic.

If you would watch black and white movies from the 20s to 50s and look at old magazines you would notice all men have high waisted trousers. Once you get used to the look it's the most natural thing in the world. If you only watch "How I met your mother" you wouldn't understand. That's Ok. But don't troll this forum with Bob Saget /Magnum / 80s things. It's not an 80s look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton