Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I think ANYTHING tucked into jeans looks lame. It reminds of of Bob Sagat on Full House. It's all about balance though. If you always wear shirts tucked in, go shorter on the jacket. If you always go untucked, add an inch or two.

I think that's the problem right there!
It's not so much 'should I tuck a shirt or not with a leather jacket', but more 'tuck or not to tuck with jeans'. I never tuck with jeans, unless I am wearing wearing a jacket. But tucking with jeans can be dangerously uncool territory.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I was raised with this simple principle of dressing: if a shirt has tails, then it is to be worn tucked in. If it has a straight hem, like a Hawaiian shirt, it can be worn out, however you simply don't wear a shirt hanging out with a jacket. Jacket always = tucked in shirt.

Some shirts such as button-downs, flannels, and other collared casuals with tails can, IMHO, sometimes be worn untucked with jeans, chinos (khakis), or shorts, but never with a jacket. Hawaiian shirts, Mexican wedding shirts, bowling shirts, and other button-fronts with a straight bottom hem, should never be worn tucked, with or without a jacket. Tees and polos can be worn either way with anything.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK, the untucked shirt is often used as camouflage to hide a burgeoning middle-age spread.

While an untucked shirt surely helps to hide an evolving bulge, that is far from the genesis of the look. Rather, an untucked shirt with jeans is more casual and comfortable, as opposed to a tucked in a shirt. When I where jeans, I want to be as comfortable as possible, and as far removed from my work appearance as possible. An untucked shirt with jeans achieves that purpose. Conversely, for me, tucking in a shirt with jeans is less comfortable, less casual and downright unnatural.

I think that's the problem right there!
It's not so much 'should I tuck a shirt or not with a leather jacket', but more 'tuck or not to tuck with jeans'. I never tuck with jeans, unless I am wearing wearing a jacket. But tucking with jeans can be dangerously uncool territory.
+1

I've just realized this is something I'm doing rather unconsciously. If I'm wearing a jacket with jeans, I always keep the shirt tucked in but whenever I take the jacket off, I always pull the shirt out as well... Can't really say why, though, but Bob Saget comment does make a lot of sense!

Gromulus

Practically Family
Some shirts such as button-downs, flannels, and other collared casuals with tails can, IMHO, sometimes be worn untucked with jeans, chinos (khakis), or shorts, but never with a jacket. Hawaiian shirts, Mexican wedding shirts, bowling shirts, and other button-fronts with a straight bottom hem, should never be worn tucked, with or without a jacket. Tees and polos can be worn either way with anything.

Concur wholeheartedly, but then again what passes for fashion sense these days..................

I would tend to agree with Matt's assessment, although I will occasionally wear a flannel untucked with my shorter perfecto jacket, depending on how much excess shirttail will be showing.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK, the untucked shirt is often used as camouflage to hide a burgeoning middle-age spread.

Yeah, but you know what looks worse than a guy with a big belly wearing an untucked shirt? A guy with a big belly wearing a tucked in shirt! It just enhances the pregnant looking man look, and makes the waist line of the pants with the button that looks like it's about to burst, look downright painful. Guys with big bellies should steer clear of short jackets anyway. Longer jackets look better on very large around the middle guys than short ones IMO

Big J

Call Me a Cab
That's so true Cyber. Best thing a tubby friend ever did for his looks was the untucked shirt.

I agree. When I see a guy with his untucked shirt tails flapping around like a skirt because his shirt is too long due to sizing up to cover girth, it makes me feel queasy (full disclosure; my life is a constant battle against my weight).
Maybe this goes back to people these days not buying clothes that fit them properly. I don't know...

I was raised with this simple principle of dressing: if a shirt has tails, then it is to be worn tucked in. If it has a straight hem, like a Hawaiian shirt, it can be worn out, however you simply don't wear a shirt hanging out with a jacket. Jacket always = tucked in shirt.

Exactly. Couldn't say it any better. Guess now the sloppy looking fad is in style. Much to my amazement I see it everywhere anymore even with an otherwise sharp dresser in some cases.
HD

mattp

One of the Regulars
My feeling is that an inch or two at the back is fine, but too much hanging out looks silly, almost like wearing a skirt. And I agree with previous posts that knits at the bottom are better suited to tucked. The Sheene is essentially a motorcycle jacket though, so when wearing it you should do whatever you damn well please.

And whilst I respect everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'd be loath to take fashion advice from anyone who admits to wearing a Hawaiian shirt :p

Last edited:

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, as about "wide" guys and shirts, it also can look pretty silly to have this "tents 'r' us"-appearance with the overly roomy shirt untucked. You can't hide everything. :) That said, I used to wear shirts untucked until I came to terms with my shape, now I mostly tuck and I think it is better with the jacket. But to each his own, I guess. ;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
And whilst I respect everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'd be loath to take fashion advice from anyone who admits to wearing a Hawaiian shirt :p

I know, I know... but there are connoisseur of Hawaiian shirts too, apparently. I wore a thrift shop one once whilst pretending to be Magnum PI in the 1980's. Actually, maybe that look can work... One thing I have learned is that all things have their fetishists. Even spats.:D

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I too take exception to the Hawaiian shirt comment. Hawaiian shirts are a perfectly acceptable form of fun casual summer attire - as long as they are worn untucked. (If I'm not mistaken, Thomas Magnum wore his tucked -eeck!)

Edward

Bartender
Thomas Magnum also wore short trousers, as I recall. Clearly a barbarian whose sartorial opinion is worthless.

Well, as about "wide" guys and shirts, it also can look pretty silly to have this "tents 'r' us"-appearance with the overly roomy shirt untucked. You can't hide everything. :) That said, I used to wear shirts untucked until I came to terms with my shape, now I mostly tuck and I think it is better with the jacket. But to each his own, I guess. ;)

I'd be on the same page as you in this regard.... it's like the guys who can't accept going up a couple of jacket sizes in suits, so they buy a DB and wear it open as if it was a SB... both approaches are as to flattering clothing as the combover is to deal with baldness. For shirts that I'd wear 'out', I find I instinctively go a size up to avoid it emphasising the midriff... invariably they look better that way.

Still, all of it - comfort, slimming, and especially the risible concept of "cool" - is wholly and utterly subjective. I suspect the real division here is between folks who are fans of leather jackets, and folks who favour an all-over vintage aesthetic.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Maybe this goes back to people these days not buying clothes that fit them properly. I don't know...

A very big pet peeve of mine too. To me there is nothing more unflattering than a fat guy in trousers that are too small or a coat/jacket/suit that is too large. Guys who can't come to terms with the fact that their waist is no longer a size 34" and the only way they can continue to wear that size is to wear them completely underneath their belly.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Matt, I agree totally. But, I am not without sin, as it were.
When I was in my 20's, I wore the same chain store cookie cutter rubbish as everyone else, with no thought at all of whether I had the physique or not to pull it off (or even consider if I should want to).
The sad fact is that it was only when I started to earn a decent living that I had the money to afford decent clothes, and appreciate them.
All that said, I stand by my earlier comment about jeans and tucked in shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton