Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hawaiian shirts are a perfectly acceptable form of fun casual summer attire

This is entirely geographically dependant. I've happily (although initially very self consciously) donned one while on holiday in Hawaii and it was fine, however, I'm certain that if I was to do it here in Sydney....well people would assume I was going to a fancy dress party....but lets not derail the thread

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Leather jackets are garments of military/aviator/motorist background.
As such they have to be worn with the shirt tucked in. Otherwise the aesthetic is off.

My very own subjective view: Wearing the shirt out looks sloppy and signals that the leather jacket is merely a fashion prop. A leisure shirt that has to be worn untucked is not worn with a leather jacket.

Also a jacket rarely is too short... the trousers just aren't high enough.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
With the high-wasted jeans/pants, aren't you guys concerned about the mom-jeans look?

I've often wondered about that too.

I think of think this look.

tumblr_lr8ht2nZLD1qgfjs2.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Seriously? You are since 2009 on a forum dealing with ca. 1920-1960s fashion, and the first association of high-waisted trousers is Urkle? :p

(The only problem with his trousers are that they are too tight.)

I start to think that part of the problem for some folks is a small reference pool barely reaching beyond US TV shows.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Seriously? You are since 2009 on a forum dealing with ca. 1920-1960s fashion, and the first association of high-waisted trousers is Urkle? :p

Actually, with steel-capped Doc Marten's and more subdued suspenders this would be a good skinhead outfit.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wearing the shirt out looks sloppy and signals that the leather jacket is merely a fashion prop.

Like I said:

Interesting how this discussion has evoked . . . pejorative references to the other side of the fence.

Leather jackets are garments of military/aviator/motorist background.
As such they have to be worn with the shirt tucked in. [Emphasis added]

That is your opinion. Many disagree, including prominent manufacturers of leather jackets. For example, Eastman has the following promotional photos on its website:

10413132_1479303788973605_1783318624_n.jpg

1599900_553756201406150_1819039488_n.jpg

863y.jpg

10354479_632594906814759_1765492139_n.jpg

DSCF3406.jpg

Aero's website:

49850bc9b3c647da_JH%2030s%20Halfbelt%20seal%20goatskin.jpg

7684d4ad50870efd_griffin_hwmn.jpg

2884d76420959827_highwayman-thomeroth.jpg

Real McCoys:

bj9110-030_5.jpg

R0068610-thumb-600x737-47131-thumb-600x737-47132.jpg

The manufacturers of leather jackets clearly do not believe that shirts "have to be" tucked in if worn with a leather jacket. In other words, there is no absolute rule.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I start to think that part of the problem for some folks is a small reference pool barely reaching beyond US TV shows.

Now, now, not that you'd know my reference pool for a moment but yes, I am serious. I think of that and Seinfeld's jeans and tucked in look too. US references are vivid on some things. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
@ Superfluous

If you quote me... why leave out the first key part? Here again - emphasis added.

Fastuni said:
My very own subjective view: Wearing the shirt out looks sloppy and signals that the leather jacket is merely a fashion prop. A leisure shirt that has to be worn untucked is not worn with a leather jacket.

The part "have to be worn tucked in" obviously refers to the military/aviator/motorist background. This is a factual statement. Of course you can wear them with untucked shirts and low-cut trousers... it just is not doing the aesthetic and purpose of these jackets justice.

Regarding the promotional photos, they all look either horrible or slovenly. (Yes again my opinion... if you think this looks good - fine.)

The fact that they are used for promotion/advertisement tells us what? Only that this apparently is contemporary fashion. It won't surprise you that I don't think highly of contemporary fashions (one of the raisons d'être of the FLounge.)

@ Seb Lucas

I think of that and Seinfeld's jeans and tucked in look too. US references are vivid on some things. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

If high waisted trousers and tucked-in shirts make you think of Urkel and Seinfeld, then there is something wrong with the reference pool. Particularly if one has this forum and its countless resources at hand.

Last edited:

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Having worked in law enforcement for years, I and other officers find that untucked shirts is a perfect hiding method for concealed handguns.

When getting a group of people to exit the car for a traffic or felony stop, we were particularly mind full of the ones with untucked shirts.

Just another point of view.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This is entirely geographically dependant. I've happily (although initially very self consciously) donned one while on holiday in Hawaii and it was fine, however, I'm certain that if I was to do it here in Sydney....well people would assume I was going to a fancy dress party....but lets not derail the thread

Doesn't work on Glasgow's Sauchiehall Street either...:D

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Superfluous said:
Respectfully, I think this would be a better thread without the remarkably derogatory references.

Stating that these promotional photos look horrible and slovenly is just opinion (as I explicity said).
Just as legitimate an opinion as suggesting that tucked-in shirts are to you "downright unnatural".
Ok... I will put it more politely: these promotional photos look in my opinion not stylish and badly put together. Better? :rolleyes:

This is certainly less "remarkably derogatory" than suggesting that all high-waisted trousers look like Steve Urkle and "Mom jeans".

Superfluous said:
And get laid. j/k

Huh? Do you find the men on the promotional photos so smashing that this is your first thought? [huh]

Or are you suggesting that men who wear high-waisted trousers and tucked-in shirts "don't get laid"?

(Or even more ludicrously that just wearing low-waist trousers and your shirt untucked is enough to "score"?)

You are wrong... but now we know how some minds work.

Of course you meant it all in jest.:cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1