Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another egregious example. :D
attachment.php

tumblr_mzqdclnyzs1qfeaoyo2_250.gif

Ok, we can leave it at that. Just stop by at this thread from time to time and remind me which of the people look like Bob Saget. I find the haircut more telling.

I've seen plenty of professional horse trainers riding with untucked t-shirts & baseball caps. Working cowboys, those throwing ropes & those working on the ground, usually are tucked in because they have knives on their belts or other things in their pockets they need to get to. Since airport screening made me remove my belt, I haven't tucked in my shirts in years. Camp shirts became my choice http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Men/Shirts/Camp_Shirts.jsp

I do carry concealed with inside the waistband holster, so untucked is most common state with all types of jackets, sport coats, etc.

Edward

Bartender
I might wear high waisted pants.....if I could find my waist.
More crunches.

Ha... I've got no problem finding my waist... there's just too damn much of it! Can't be bothered with exercise - don't have the time to waste. I just need to eat less. Or better.

The guy in the Eastman photos looks like Charlie Manson.
I think that's what's putting me off,

lol Yeah.... it's certainly not an aesthetic that appeals to me. Those photos are all from the ELMC line, which ELC recently launched... seems to me they're shooting after a rather different target customer there - more Easy Rider than those to whom their other lines appeal. Looks sort of like a down and out Steve Macqueen vibe, to me, with a dash of acid casualty. Ther'es obviously a market for it, but given the disparity what what else they do, it seems to me a clever move to create its own distinct end of the brand...

Since airport screening made me remove my belt, I haven't tucked in my shirts in years.

Not sure I follow your logic here... if Security don't notice my belt, it sets off the scanner, so I have to remove it and have it scanned through half the time anyhow... [huh] Another reason I prefer the train - less hassle. Braces have never caused a problem for me at airports, though then you've got to tuck your shirt in, which clearly won't work for everyone. ;)

Not sure I follow your logic here... if Security don't notice my belt, it sets off the scanner, so I have to remove it and have it scanned through half the time anyhow... [huh] Another reason I prefer the train - less hassle. Braces have never caused a problem for me at airports, though then you've got to tuck your shirt in, which clearly won't work for everyone. ;)

Sorry, no belt = looks odd tucked in to me, sort of naked belt loops. So if I'm not wearing a belt or suspenders, then I don't tuck in my shirt.

Edward

Bartender
Sorry, no belt = looks odd tucked in to me, sort of naked belt loops. So if I'm not wearing a belt or suspenders, then I don't tuck in my shirt.

Ah.... I hadn't considered the "no belt" option.....

Well, he is handicapped. He's only got one free hand to tuck. The other needs to be holding the cain so he doesn't fall over

Is that his excuse for not using a razor once in a while too? ;)

pipvh

Practically Family
I'll just jump in here to say that I don't think there's anything particularly up-to-date with the ELMC models' look. The only hipster element is the beard. The rest of it is... well, I've been dressing like that for decades.

I'm with Seb Lucas in that I'm not interested at all in authenticity in putting my look together - the clothes themselves need to have a sort of authenticity, though. I like bits and pieces from the Golden Age (can't stand that phrase) in the same way that I like odds and sods from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I'll leave my shirt untucked if it isn't too long or if my belt is boring. Oceans of shirt-tail flapping around the lower thighs looks less than spectacular but otherwise, what the hell? I realize it's currently trendy to sneer at hipsters but were it not for Japanese hipsters we wouldn't currently be basking in the wonderful revival of clothing from the first half of the 20th Century...

pipvh

Practically Family
My rule is that, as long as the bottom buttonhole of the shirt isn't lower than the bottom of the jacket, it's OK to untuck, which only works with modern, tailless shirts, obviously. Dress shirts do have to be tucked, I'll concede that much!

Edward

Bartender
I'll just jump in here to say that I don't think there's anything particularly up-to-date with the ELMC models' look. The only hipster element is the beard. The rest of it is... well, I've been dressing like that for decades.

It's a much more recent look than the rest of their line.... whick is to say it would be totally at home on the set of thel ikes of Vanishing Point in, what, 1971? With the main ELMC, the only really post 1949 design they do is the Air Comfort... itself a civilianised, 1950s take on a very 40s military design. Different crowds. My point re the ELMC is that, to me at least, they're not shooting for the same market by any stretch.

were it not for Japanese hipsters we wouldn't currently be basking in the wonderful revival of clothing from the first half of the 20th Century...

Mn, can that be substantiated? I suppose it depends on how we define hipster. I've never found them to be the same folks as the vintage set, though of course things could be different out there. [huh]

The interesting thing there is that they've gotten much the same issues raised, without any particular bias towards a "correct vintage" look being an issue across much of their membership (if anything, the odd time or to I've seen the Style Forum it seemed to be de rigeur to look down on vintage or anything that wasn't quite contemporary - each to their own, of course).

pipvh

Practically Family
Mn, can that be substantiated? I suppose it depends on how we define hipster. I've never found them to be the same folks as the vintage set, though of course things could be different out there.

You're probably right, though I remember that scene being described as 'hipster' long before the current meaning of the word. My guess is the whole thing probably came out of the Japanese rockabilly scene a long time ago, when hipster meant something other than 'massive, bushy beard, unfeasibly skinny trousers, fixie bike.' None of which, I hasten to add, do I possess :suspicious:

Where the tucked vs untucked thing gets really messy, though, is T shirts...

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
You're probably right, though I remember that scene being described as 'hipster' long before the current meaning of the word. My guess is the whole thing probably came out of the Japanese rockabilly scene a long time ago, when hipster meant something other than 'massive, bushy beard, unfeasibly skinny trousers, fixie bike.' None of which, I hasten to add, do I possess :suspicious:

Where the tucked vs untucked thing gets really messy, though, is T shirts...

I would define Japanese 'hipster' by 'unfeasibly skinny trousers, fixie bike'.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hipster is a vague word meaning a range of things. When I use it I refer to people who think they are living a better or more authentic lifestyle than everyone else by choosing appearances, ideas and brands outside and dismissive of the mainstream. Sometimes it's about facial hair, sometimes it's down to black roll neck pullovers and sandals. Some of these folk are indeed interesting and stylish. Others are fakers desperately trying to be cool. Once a brand deliberately starts cultivating the current hipster look, whatever that may be, it's perfectly reasonable to be suspicious.

Hipster is a word we didn't use much here until recently but we've always had them in some guise.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hipster is a vague word meaning a range of things. When I use it I refer to people who think they are living a better or more authentic lifestyle than everyone else by choosing appearances, ideas and brands outside and dismissive of the mainstream. Sometimes it's about facial hair, sometimes it's down to black roll neck pullovers and sandals. Some of these folk are indeed interesting and stylish. Others are fakers desperately trying to be cool. Once a brand deliberately starts cultivating the current hipster look, whatever that may be, it's perfectly reasonable to be suspicious.

Hipster is a word we didn't use much here until recently but we've always had them in some guise.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's an American term that's been around since at least the 1940's. When I was growing up in the "50's and 60's in New York, it generally meant someone into the jazz scene and the art underground, like the Beat writers or, espeicially, Lenny Bruce. There was a kind of intellectual connotation. In fact, Norman Mailer wrote a whole piece about it.

pipvh

Practically Family
I would define Japanese 'hipster' by 'unfeasibly skinny trousers, fixie bike'.

I surrender to your local knowledge. :yield:I thought the unfeasibility of trousers was strictly a Shoreditch phenomenon...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I surrender to your local knowledge. :yield:I thought the unfeasibility of trousers was strictly a Shoreditch phenomenon...

Do you mean Shoreditch in Hackney? Last time I was in that neck of the woods, the locals were definitely too "well 'ard" to be hipsters. North London 'gangsta' chic was all the rage. Has it gone upmarket?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, Shoreditch is a hipster's paradise nowadays. Honestly, you can't move for Edwardian beards, plaid shirts and sockless shoe wearers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve S