Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket length and untucked shirts..

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Nope.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...-Shoreditchification-of-London-must-stop.html

I have to say, I quite enjoy going to the area, because it's got some very cool restaurants and shops, but I get that some people feel it's been ruined by the hipsterfication. Thankfully, it hasn't quite crept up to Brick Lane, which remains old school - still serves the best salt beef bagels in London.

You're not kidding me;
'public loo in Camberwell selling dirty cocktails in jam jars'.
Sounds delightful.

However will I explain this to the wife?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Buy the wife a dirty cocktail, let her drink her sorrows away!

I can't joke about it- I'm honestly depressed after reading that.
There must be an anti-hipster popular back-lash on the horizon, surely?

Can we go back to shirt tails, please? With icing on top.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
There has been of sorts, but I think hipsters are resilient because it is all about being 'ahead of the curve', so if you say 'you look ridiculous', they take that as a badge of honour.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Alas, no. With all the beards, East London looks like a Gettysburg reunion these days. I expect the gangsters all live in the Cotswolds now.

That's funny! If I was a gangster, I'd have moved as well.
The Cotswolds is prime tourism territory for the Japanese- I'll warn the wife.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
There has been of sorts, but I think hipsters are resilient because it is all about being 'ahead of the curve', so if you say 'you look ridiculous', they take that as a badge of honour.

There is nothing new under the sun.
They sound like they all need a bloody good slap. I used to hate pretentious people when I was a student.

Edward

Bartender
pipvh;1816149Where the [I said:
tucked vs untucked[/I] thing gets really messy, though, is T shirts...

Nah, dead easy.... underwear always gets tucked in. Unless you're a super hero that wears it on the outside, of course.

The word "hippie" was derived from the word "hipster". It's an old term.

The term goes way back, yes, though the meaning has evolved a long way away from the Beatniks and such. In a sense, at least (some of the habit and habitat of the present-day hipster species would be entirely familiar to the hipster of old).

Do you mean Shoreditch in Hackney? Last time I was in that neck of the woods, the locals were definitely too "well 'ard" to be hipsters. North London 'gangsta' chic was all the rage. Has it gone upmarket?

Everywhere in London is subject to gentrification. Hackney's come up a long way. A lot of folks have long bemoaned it's lack of authenticity, though personally I'm rather fond of being able to go for a pint there without a high risk of being glassed.

I have to say, I quite enjoy going to the area, because it's got some very cool restaurants and shops, but I get that some people feel it's been ruined by the hipsterfication. Thankfully, it hasn't quite crept up to Brick Lane, which remains old school - still serves the best salt beef bagels in London.

Some areas - Brick Lane, Whitechapel - do seem to have managed, thus far at least, to have the best of both worlds: the benefits of gonig up without having their very soul ripped out and destroyed (contrast this with Camden Market, for instance).

There is nothing new under the sun.
They sound like they all need a bloody good slap. I used to hate pretentious people when I was a student.

My social circle felt much the same... course now we look back and realise we were just as bad.... :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Nah, dead easy.... underwear always gets tucked in. Unless you're a super hero that wears it on the outside, of course.

Trick is never to wear a t-shirt that could pass for a bell-tent. A well-fitted t-shirt looks very cool tucked in.

Some areas - Brick Lane, Whitechapel - do seem to have managed, thus far at least, to have the best of both worlds: the benefits of gonig up without having their very soul ripped out and destroyed (contrast this with Camden Market, for instance).

I tend to think that Camden's main drag is the definitive answer to the question: how many shoe shops on a high street is too many? :D

Big J

Call Me a Cab

The term goes way back, yes, though the meaning has evolved a long way away from the Beatniks and such. In a sense, at least (some of the habit and habitat of the present-day hipster species would be entirely familiar to the hipster of old).

Everywhere in London is subject to gentrification. Hackney's come up a long way. A lot of folks have long bemoaned it's lack of authenticity, though personally I'm rather fond of being able to go for a pint there without a high risk of being glassed.

My social circle felt much the same... course now we look back and realise we were just as bad.... :D

Why? What's happened to Camden Market?

Or your six pack is starting to look more like a keg. (as in my case)

Although sometimes a well fitted wife-beater style t shirt, preferably with a wine stain or some spaghetti sauce on the front, is just the thing for a trip to walmart.

Edward

Bartender
Trick is never to wear a t-shirt that could pass for a bell-tent. A well-fitted t-shirt looks very cool tucked in.

Ha.... I remember the eighties. WE all thought we were so cool. Now I look back and think.... "What were we doing, running around in Summer dresses over jeggings?).

I tend to think that Camden's main drag is the definitive answer to the question: how many shoe shops on a high street is too many? :D

It'd make more sense if they weren't just all multiples of the same thing...

Why? What's happened to Camden Market?

Redevelopment. All the old vintage clothing places are gone, half the market is made up of multiple stalls selling tourist tat with union flags on it, and the other half is now largely made up of stalls selling smelly candles and art for people who don't like art. A market as designed by Ikea.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To tuck in, or not not tuck in, that is the question—
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep—
And so on and so on .... :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Actually, my favorite William Shakespeare's play is not "Hamlet" but "Much Ado About Nothing" :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1