Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
James71 said:
My glen grey CD is done in a cattleman crease. I think it looks fine.

Campdrft4.jpg

I don't think that's a Cattleman's Crease...is there a shot of the top you've got. The pic you just posted looks more like a teardrop or diamond :huh:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I saw that hat in their catalog recently and except for ....

.... the grommetted vent holes in the crown, it looks like 90% of the Resistol's and Stetesons worn down here in Ft. Worth :) But, I'd have to say that being an Akubra one would have to buy one of Resistol or Stetsons higher priced hats to get the SAME quality as the Akubra for sure :) Braided horsehair hat bands were VERY popular among the Western crowd down here several years ago but from what I've seen recently they are going back to ribbons or tooled leather bands around here now. I personally like the horsehair bands :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Looks like there are 2 Cattlemans creases....

.... one Australian and one western U.S. :) Yours is obviously an Australian Cattleman crease, not at all like what that crease looks like here in the western U.S. :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, that's not a cattleman's crease, but it does look somewhat reminiscent of the crease of the Akubra Cattleman hat, just with a sharper pinch and shorter brim really.

Neophyte

Monbla256, I agree with you on the look of horsehair bands. Living in the SouthEast, though, I don't really feel right wearing Western Hats...oh well. (Notice that, despite that, I somehow feel comfortable in the Australian-style hats lol).

James71, I have to agree with Egghead. The hat, the photo, the color---:arated:.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I agree, it does LOOK good, regardless of whether it's a teardrop or a cattleman's crease. It's the look that's a very important thing in a crease, in my opinion. Maybe that aspect is even tied with confidence in wearing the hat in the first place, wouldn't you say? Or do you figure that one is more important than the other? That's an interesting philosophical topic on the wearing of hats...

Neophyte

monbla256 said:
.... wear ANYWHERE, ANT TIME in ALL kinds of weather :)

:arated:

Oh, and The Good, you're right. For instance, the Lightning Ride is a smart looking hat, but I'm so new to the whole Oz look that it still doesn't look right to me. I've got to get used to it :). I have confidence in the hat's durability and utility (it is one hell of a shade hat lol), I just need to gain some confidence in my ability to pul it off.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
The Good said:
I know what you're talking about, the illusion of height. I see other members here wearing 'em, and I just think to myself that it may appear too tall on me the way they have it creased. For me to be most comfortable wearing it, I would have to have it be a relatively low teardrop or telescope crown. I would imagine that would detract quite a bit from the illusion you speak of, although there are many who can pull off higher crowned styles as well. I've been told that I could with my Fed IV, as a matter in fact, but aesthetically I prefer something that sits about 4 1/2 inches high, provided that it fits very well.
check out the old movies from the 40s and how deep some of the bashes on their fedoras were. They must've had some serious crown to start with

danofarlington

James71 said:
My glen grey CD is done in a cattleman crease. I think it looks fine.

Campdrft4.jpg
Looks good. By the way, on the cattleman's crease, there may be a different understanding between Australia and the U.S. Here a cattleman's crease is like a Harry Truman, Lyndon Johnson or (gasp) George W. Bush hat, Stetson type. It's the kind sold as Open Road now by Stetson.

Now I am certain that I have asked you this before, several months ago, but have forgotten your answer. That color gray Campdraft--do you find a good color matchup with your clothes and do you use it a lot? Or is a gray hat hard to match up to your clothes? That's the only thing that gives me pause about buying a gray Campdraft. I'm on the fence about it.

James71

A-List Customer
Right. Gotcha. I thought you meant a crease like the Akubra cattleman. Sorry bout that chief.

This hat gets worn almost exclusively with one of my black suits for work. I bought it because the black bogart made me look too much like a gangster with the suits. I could prob wear it with other things but I cant seem to stop wearing my silverbelly cd...

danofarlington

James71 said:
This hat gets worn almost exclusively with one of my black suits for work. I cant seem to stop wearing my silverbelly cd...
Good to know. Yes, the silverbelly is much more versatile and goes with a lot. Then the question is, which other colors are useable, after you've got one or two silverbelly hats. By the way, originally you thought the silverbelly fairly dressy for down there, if I remember right. Do you still?

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Banjo Paterson Creasing

Bebop said:
Having both hats, it looks to me like the LR has a center dent and the dents on the side do not come as close to each other at the front of the crown. The BP has a teardrop dent with dents that almost meet at the front of the crown. I believe that is why the LR seems to have a tapered look while the BP has less of a tapered look. LR on the left. BP on the right.

That's interesting, my BP has a much more defined centre bash compared to yours. It's closer to your LR than the BP in the photos. Also the pinch on yours is more pronounced.

Here's mine which I haven't changed from how it was received - have you reshaped yours?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
That looks great, but it doesn't look like a cattleman's crease.
Ah yes. The miscommunication of the cattleman's crease instead of the crease of the cattleman. James, I think your hat looks awesome with the crease of the cattleman. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe