Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kylek, the hat really does look great! Maybe it's just the different crease and the wetness on the crown, but like I said earlier, you have succeded in making that hat yours. I hope to achieve the same effect with the Lightning Ridge, and it's going to take a bit for me to get used to the style lol.

Egghead, the Sydney looks phenomenally better on you than mine did on me. The bash looks ok, just press in the sharp corners to round them out a bit and you're solid. Everyone always says that Charcoal is too dark...to be honest, though, it looks really good in your pic :eusa_clap .

EggHead

Practically Family
Kyle & Neo - looking at the color of your respective hats, I would say that 'Sand' is more beige and Heritage Fawn is more beige with gray, but neither one is darker than the other?

Panda Moanium

New in Town
EggHead said:
Kyle & Neo - looking at the color of your respective hats, I would say that 'Sand' is more beige and Heritage Fawn is more beige with gray, but neither one is darker than the other?

I have the Heritage Fawn Banjo and I'd say it is actually closer in colour to Neo's Lightning Ridge than it looks in Egghead's photo.

The two hats are quite similar in style - Neo, what's the brim width on the LR?

theinterchange

One Too Many
EggHead said:
I don't like the bash though, makes the hat look too square on me; And I will replace the ribbon to a lighter gray & wider, perhaps 1.5" - this hat is too dark (charcoal color) - true color capture as I see it en vivo.
Otherwise, very comfortable, fits me well and the felt is smooth.

2m4c5g7.jpg

I have to agree, it does appear a little too square. Maybe doing something with the top of the crown would counteract that?

Randy

danofarlington

theinterchange said:
I have to agree, it does appear a little too square. Maybe doing something with the top of the crown would counteract that?

Randy
Contrary to popular opinion here, I am a big fan of giving a hat to a hat shop for shaping. My personal favorite is "center dent with pinches," but whatever a person wants can be ordered. Several hats which I just could not satisfactorily shape with my fingers, and find a good solution to, were totally solved by hat shops: One by Greeley Hat Works (a vintage low-crown Borsalino that I couldn't imagine how it would work) and the other by local hat man Vince Corvelli. Beautiful work, looks professional, and I couldn't have gotten there by myself. So I like "sending them out for work" and think very highly of the results I get that way.

Neophyte

Panda Moanium said:
I have the Heritage Fawn Banjo and I'd say it is actually closer in colour to Neo's Lightning Ridge than it looks in Egghead's photo.

The two hats are quite similar in style - Neo, what's the brim width on the LR?

I believe it's a clean 3'' brim. The hats look similar when considering the taper of the crown, but the LR has a center dent w/ side dents, while the BP has a teardrop with a front pinch.

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Neophyte said:
I believe it's a clean 3'' brim. The hats look similar when considering the taper of the crown, but the LR has a center dent w/ side dents, while the BP has a teardrop with a front pinch.

I'm far from an expert on creases but I would have described the BP as having a centre dent (with front pinch). The brim is slightly smaller alright at 2 3/4 inches.

Anyhow, LR suits you very well. Enjoy!

Neophyte

Panda Moanium said:
I'm far from an expert on creases but I would have described the BP as having a centre dent (with front pinch). The brim is slightly smaller alright at 2 3/4 inches.

Anyhow, LR suits you very well. Enjoy!

I looked at DMs pics of the BP and I'm inclined to agree with you. Except for the locations of the dents/pinch, the crowns of the two hats do seem similar. That's great, as eventually I will want a charcoal BP lol.

Also, thanks! :D

Bebop

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
I looked at DMs pics of the BP and I'm inclined to agree with you. Except for the locations of the dents/pinch, the crowns of the two hats do seem similar. That's great, as eventually I will want a charcoal BP lol.

Also, thanks! :D

Having both hats, it looks to me like the LR has a center dent and the dents on the side do not come as close to each other at the front of the crown. The BP has a teardrop dent with dents that almost meet at the front of the crown. I believe that is why the LR seems to have a tapered look while the BP has less of a tapered look. LR on the left. BP on the right.

Neophyte

Thanks, Bebop! Those look great!

Are both those hats in Heritage Fawn?

This is what we need on this thread. We've got tons of Campdrafts and Federations and Squatters and Stylemasters, but we don't have much info or pics on their Heritage line lol.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Anyone notice the similarity's btwn the Squatter, Campdraft, Pastorilist & Bushman?

Currently owning two of these 4 and recently seeing the other two in situ so to speak I have to say that Akubra is efficiantly making one hat and selling it as four models. First, the vaunted Campdraft (ie Stetson Open Road in previous years in Australia) has a 73mm bound brim and the same crown hieght as the Squatter, 73mm bound brim also, and the Pastorilist which also has a 73mm bound brim though it's sold mostly pre-creased ( I compared my Squatter to an Australian friends re bashed Pastorilist he wears and they are the SAME in size AND amount of taper ) and when we get to the Bushman it has a brim 1/4" larger but bound as well. Open crown size and taper are identical to the other three from what I could tell! So the reall difference would be 1) thin ribbon on three of them 2) same bow style on two 3) larger brim on one. 4) One has a bigger ribbon. Other than the different colors offered by differing retailers on the different models and the mentioned differences in brim size and ribbon size of two of them, Akubra is making the SAME hat and selling it as 4 different models. Taht is GOOD marketing IMHO :)

Neophyte

Actually, the Squatter has a shorter, more tapered crown than that of the Camp Draft (the CD has about 5 1/2'' on the crown, and the Squatter is about 5 1/4'' open crown. You can't trust EverythingAustralian on their crown measurements, as they've bashed the Squatter and Campdraft into the same "porkpie" shape, and they measure the hat after being bashed). The Bushman may be similar to the Campdraft, but seems to be an all-around bigger hat, and is only available from DM in the "Nullarbor Tan" color. I don't know much about the Pastoralist, but I wouldn't be surprised if several of the hats share the same block.

Also, the Squatter has a dimensional brim, being 2 7/8'' on the sides and a full 3'' front and back.

Have you seen Stetson's modern offerings? It seems like nearly every hat in their catalog shares the same block, and only differ in crease, brim and bow width, and color.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I have owned both hats and the CD and Squatter are nothing alike. Matter of fact, I have a photo of the CD and Squatter together, let me go dig it up.

4311629553_feea810d92_o.jpg

Silverbelly Campdraft, Dark Brown Federation IV Deluxe, and Carbon Grey Squatter
4311629049_d81d3db292_o.jpg

And I agree with Neo, the Bushman and CD are although similar in appearance, two different hats. One look at the specs of both and it's obvious.

Randy

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My squatter from DM measured....

... 5 1/2" open crown before I creased it and when my Australian friend and I popped our hats back to open crown (and my Bushman) they ALL measured 5 1/2" . My hats were DM models but i can't believe they would make different sizes of crown for different retailers that would be so similar. I'm speaking of the basic hat not the finished model as is sold. Just my observations :)

Neophyte

monbla256 said:
... 5 1/2" open crown before I creased it and when my Australian friend and I popped our hats back to open crown (and my Bushman) they ALL measured 5 1/2" . My hats were DM models but i can't believe they would make different sizes of crown for different retailers that would be so similar. I'm speaking of the basic hat not the finished model as is sold. Just my observations :)

You know, it has been observed by some on TFL that the DavidMorgan Squatter may have a slightly "fuller(word?)" crown than the norm. If you can find FatDutchMan's pics of his fawn Squatter from DM, you'd swear on your life it wasn't actually a Squatter lol.

It may be the case that you are lucky enough to get one of these "full" versions. It also may be the case that Akubra is not "extremely" consistent with their hats lol. The general concensus is that the Squatter as a shorter, more tapered crown than the CampDrafts and Bushman's out there, but the anomalies have appeared here and there.

I guess what we can learn from this is......[huh] lol!

Oh, and Randy, I don't think I've seen you in any of those hats except the CG Squatter, and that was only once...what happened to all those great lids?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe