Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
monbla256 said:
... 5 1/2" open crown before I creased it and when my Australian friend and I popped our hats back to open crown (and my Bushman) they ALL measured 5 1/2" . My hats were DM models but i can't believe they would make different sizes of crown for different retailers that would be so similar. I'm speaking of the basic hat not the finished model as is sold. Just my observations :)

It doesn't matter if the crown heights are the same... the block shape is different on each of these. The CD and Bushman are straighter sided than the quite tapered Squatter... in the side by side I posted up there there is noticeably a difference between them. [huh]

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I just measured mu Squatter & Bushman with a cloth tape....

... and I have the identical center dent/front pinch crease in each. Botha have the brim snapped down in front identically as well.
Squatter - 5" to top of front pinch and a solid 3" brim ALL around. Fawn color
Bushman - 5" to top of front pinch and a solid 3 1/4" brim ALL around.Nulabar tan color
BOTH hats are DM models BTW.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Came across a cool shot of my CD

4363905846_b538183a31_o.jpg

Don't believe I've shared this one before... I now miss this hat.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
monbla256 said:
... and I have the identical center dent/front pinch crease in each. Botha have the brim snapped down in front identically as well.
Bushman - 5" to top of front pinch and a solid 3 1/4" brim ALL around.Nulabar tan color

I still don't get what you're trying to prove with these measurements. [huh]

BLOCK SHAPE IS KEY HERE... They may have the same specs, but are different hats produced on different blocks. The Bushman is straighter sided than the Squatter...

Randy

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
monbla256 said:

I concede...this is just bizarre :confused: lol!

Oh well, the point is that Akubra does this (the crowns on the Bogart, Whippet, Hampton, and Fedora looks similar as well), and it is not alone. Biltmore, Dobbs and Stetson do this as well.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
4363905846_b538183a31_o.jpg

Don't believe I've shared this one before... I now miss this hat.

Randy

I saw this photo before. I'm assuming it's a black and white shot, but the way it affects the color of that Campdraft is amazing. If only Akubra sold one with that hat and ribbon color combination. It actually looks a lot closer to Stetson's silverbelly rather than Akubra's, here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Now THAT is a NICE hat....

... reminds me of one of my fathers Stetson LBJ's I'm getting referb'd at Peter Bros. It was an almost identical looking grey as your CD !! BTW will be getting it recreased in my favorite center dent/ front pinch style instead of the Cattlemans crease he wore it as. NICE,NICE hat :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Not trying to PROVE anything, just ....

... making some observations from what I have seen. And if they were the same basic hat production wise, but blocked and finished differently model wise, from a manufacturing standpoint, makes sense to me :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, I'm not sure why the cattleman's crease is so unpopular with the Campdraft, actually. Perhaps it may make it appear too generically "western?" Or is it the fact that the Campdraft is a pretty high-crowned hat, and the cattleman's crease does not drop it low enough for most's preferences?

Neophyte

monbla256 said:
... making some observations from what I have seen. And if they were the same basic hat production wise, but blocked and finished differently model wise, from a manufacturing standpoint, makes sense to me :)

Thing is, you're correct. Although the models you've put forth as an example could be disputed, using the same block for multiple hat models is common practice among today's "factory" hat producers.

theinterchange

One Too Many
The Good said:
I saw this photo before. I'm assuming it's a black and white shot, but the way it affects the color of that Campdraft is amazing. If only Akubra sold one with that hat and ribbon color combination. It actually looks a lot closer to Stetson's silverbelly rather than Akubra's, here.

I must have linked to it before. Yeah, it's a B&W shot, and I agree it makes the color look quite amazing... yes even Stetson-like.

monbla256 said:
... reminds me of one of my fathers Stetson LBJ's I'm getting referb'd at Peter Bros. It was an almost identical looking grey as your CD !! BTW will be getting it recreased in my favorite center dent/ front pinch style instead of the Cattlemans crease he wore it as. NICE,NICE hat :)

Thanks, monbla256. I sold it earlier this year... wish I hadn't now. :eusa_doh: I hope you share pics of the Stetson when you get it. That makes for a special hat, being your fathers.

Randy

Neophyte

The Good said:
Hmm, I'm not sure why the cattleman's crease is so unpopular with the Campdraft, actually. Perhaps it may make it appear too generically "western?" Or is it the fact that the Campdraft is a pretty high-crowned hat, and the cattleman's crease does not drop it low enough for most's preferences?

The Cattleman's crease might take some getting used to, but when I get my Silverbelly Campdraft, this is the type of crease I plan to give it. I think it looks smart, especially the one Mr. Paladin wore in the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today" thread many, many, many pages back.

Of course, the CampDraft will be a ways off, as I'm enamored with Akubra's Heritage Line as of yet. The Overlander, Lawson, and Banjo Paterson are looking particularly appealing.

It's a great thing my birthday is nearly within a month of Christmas Day :D!!!

theinterchange

One Too Many
monbla256 said:

Technically, they're the same bodies in different colors stamped out on different blocks. :p

I get your point now,

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
The Good said:

To me, the crown height just doesn't fare well with the cattleman look. I had a hard time making the crown on my CD look lower and failed. It's not really THAT tall, more of an illusion of height, especially on the Silverbelly.

Oh, have you seen the Boss of the Plains? I'd be tempted by this one if it wasn't for the wait time.

Randy

The Good

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
To me, the crown height just doesn't fare well with the cattleman look. I had a hard time making the crown on my CD look lower and failed. It's not really THAT tall, more of an illusion of height, especially on the Silverbelly.

Oh, have you seen the Boss of the Plains? I'd be tempted by this one if it wasn't for the wait time.

Randy

I know what you're talking about, the illusion of height. I see other members here wearing 'em, and I just think to myself that it may appear too tall on me the way they have it creased. For me to be most comfortable wearing it, I would have to have it be a relatively low teardrop or telescope crown. I would imagine that would detract quite a bit from the illusion you speak of, although there are many who can pull off higher crowned styles as well. I've been told that I could with my Fed IV, as a matter in fact, but aesthetically I prefer something that sits about 4 1/2 inches high, provided that it fits very well.

I like the open crown aspect of their Boss of the Plains; I mean it gives you many options for different western styles, but the high crown is sort of putting me off. I'd prefer to have a slightly lower crown to work with, maybe no higher than 5 1/2 inches.

Bebop

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
Thanks, Bebop! Those look great!

Are both those hats in Heritage Fawn?

This is what we need on this thread. We've got tons of Campdrafts and Federations and Squatters and Stylemasters, but we don't have much info or pics on their Heritage line lol.

You're welcome. Yes they are both in Heritage Fawn and I agree........we do need some more photos of the Heritage Line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe