Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
jbucklin said:
BlackBrim, make sure if/when you buy one you specify the matching ribbon on the Sage Chatham---it seems I read somewhere that the hat is offered with a black ribbon as well. Could be wrong though. Still, it wouldn't hurt to ask, just to be on the safe side.
I finally got my sage Chatham this week.The one I got has a matching ribbon.Just like I wanted.Thanks again for the warning about the black ribbon.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I tightened the front pinch on the Lightning Ridge and somewhat popped out the back of the center dent, which drastically calmed the pretty substantial taper of the hat. I like it MUCH better now:

SandLightningRidgeHat11.jpg

This hat actually fits much better than my Camp Draft right now because I just got a haircut, go figure lol!

I also found my somewhat ratty, chopped Squatter under my bed, and I have to say that with the new haircut I like the look very much. It also fits much better than my Camp Draft with the new haircut.

AkubraChoppedSquatter.jpg

I guess I'm hanging the Camp Draft up until my hair grows back a bit lol!

EDIT: I'd just like to thank Bebop again for posting those pics, you gave me ideas on how to alter the Lightning Ridge to reduce the taper a bit. Thanks!

EggHead

Practically Family
Neo, I must say that that Squatter looks really good on you. The color (I presume Steel Gray) is nice and the black ribbon is proportional, and brim size looks just right for you.

Neophyte

EggHead said:
Neo, I must say that that Squatter looks really good on you. The color (I presume Steel Gray) is nice and the black ribbon is proportional, and brim size looks just right for you.

Thank you! I absolutely hated the look of this hat on me when my hair was thick, but right now I like it.

You may be surprised to hear this, but that color is actually Willow Green. Unfortunately it doesn't look like HatsDirect offers this color anymore at this time.

The ribbon is a slightly darker shade of green than the hat.

I suppose that since both the camera lens and the hat were exposed to lots of sunlight, plus the white and grey trim of my house, have lent it a grey look. A lot of people make this mistake regarding my hat, so I'd suppose it has something to do with my Iphone camera lol.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Did Anyone Hear a Gunshot?!

'Cause I just pulled the trigger on a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. :D I don't know about anyone else, but I heard a pretty loud shot... you know, Indiana Jones Nepalese bar in-your-face loud style.:D

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Thank you! I absolutely hated the look of this hat on me when my hair was thick, but right now I like it.

You may be surprised to hear this, but that color is actually Willow Green. Unfortunately it doesn't look like HatsDirect offers this color anymore at this time.

The ribbon is a slightly darker shade of green than the hat.

I suppose that since both the camera lens and the hat were exposed to lots of sunlight, plus the white and grey trim of my house, have lent it a grey look. A lot of people make this mistake regarding my hat, so I'd suppose it has something to do with my Iphone camera lol.

I like it on you now, too.

Also, the work you did with the LR made a world of a difference. Do you have an off your head or shot of the work you did on the center dent?

Randy

Mr E Train

One Too Many
theinterchange said:
'Cause I just pulled the trigger on a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. :D I don't know about anyone else, but I heard a pretty loud shot... you know, Indiana Jones Nepalese bar in-your-face loud style.:D

Randy

You won't regret it, my friend. :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
You won't regret it, my friend. :eusa_clap

I can't wait. Even after I sprung for Expedited post, it was just a hair over $120 USD! By a hair, I mean $120 and change. [I'm used to HD's $130 + with the cheapest route shipping!]

Randy

Bebop

Practically Family
Those are two very nice hats, Neo. That LR looks great on you. You did a good job of adjusting the crown. I have a Squatter too and it looks so much bigger on my head than it does on your head. Maybe I should store mine under the bed for a while? lol

Bebop

Practically Family
Panda Moanium said:
That's interesting, my BP has a much more defined centre bash compared to yours. It's closer to your LR than the BP in the photos. Also the pinch on yours is more pronounced.

Here's mine which I haven't changed from how it was received - have you reshaped yours?

I have not reshaped my BP at all. I can see a big difference between yours and mine. Almost a different hat altogether! I got mine at David Morgan's store, not through the mail. Where did you acquire your BP?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Does anyone know how to take a URL and change the URL to text. I've seen you do it a couple of times, Randy, and it would be great to know how to do that for future reference.

At any rate, while we're on the subject of Akubra and Cattleman's creases, check out DavidMorgan's Heritage line Akubra offering, the Burke&Willis: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1262

Lefty taught me how to do it... you write what you want to, then highlight it and hit the URL tag button up there and insert it... it then turns your text into the link!

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
Lefty taught me how to do it... you write what you want to, then highlight it and hit the URL tag button up there and insert it... it then turns your text into the link!

Randy

Thanks! Lefty is quite knowledgeable of the workings of the internet. Through someone's thread he taught me how to use "Let Me Google That For You" , one of the most clever internet tricks I've ever come across lol.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Now if you would just put the binding back on that Squatter &....

... rework the crown as you did with the LR you'd have the perfect hat :) (I'm VERY partial to bound brims having only 2 out of 8 felts without them :) ). Both hats do look good on ya !

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
'Cause I just pulled the trigger on a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. I don't know about anyone else, but I heard a pretty loud shot... you know, Indiana Jones Nepalese bar in-your-face loud style.

Randy

I knew we'd get you.

That makes myself, Mr. E Train, Salty O'Rourke, JimmytheLid, Rodkins, GTDean, and now TheInterchange, all within two months...

We might be able to start our own thread ...

Bebop said:
Those are two very nice hats, Neo. That LR looks great on you. You did a good job of adjusting the crown. I have a Squatter too and it looks so much bigger on my head than it does on your head. Maybe I should store mine under the bed for a while?

Thanks!

Two things about my Squatter that make it look smaller:

1.) I trimmed the 3'' brim down to a 2 3/8'' brim, and

2.) I creased it such that the front of the crown is lower than the back of the crown.

monbla256 said:
... rework the crown as you did with the LR you'd have the perfect hat (I'm VERY partial to bound brims having only 2 out of 8 felts without them ). Both hats do look good on ya !

I'm partial to bound brims myself, although the brim on the Lightning Ridge is rather stiff to compensate for the lack of a bound brim.

The Squatter originally looked absolutely MASSIVE on my head. People saw it coming miles away, akin to the beginning of the movie Independence Day when the UFO's were just starting to arrive . I don't really want to put a bound brim back on this one because it would be more arduous to work the brim into the Hollywood flip I've got it in right now.

But you're absolutely right, this hat would look sharp with a new, bound brim , and thanks so much for the compliment!

theinterchange said:
I like it on you now, too.

Also, the work you did with the LR made a world of a difference. Do you have an off your head or shot of the work you did on the center dent?

Randy

Honestly, I just pulled outward from the inside of the crown until the back portion of the center dent...well...just kinda popped up. I evened out the area around it to form a skinny "heart" on the crown, similar to something I saw in the Creative Crease Collection here on the lounge. Here's the best pic I can get for you at nighttime here, hope it helps:

SandLightningRidgeHat13.jpg

Overall, I like the effect:

SandLightningRidgeHat12.jpg

Whew, that was a long, LONG post lol!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If you think the Squatter was big on your head I would strongly....

.... suggest that you NOT even think about a Bushman :) Though I think you might be selling yourself a bit short as you probably would look good in hats that are full-sized as the Squatter and Bushman. Take a look how the LR looks w/it's WIDE brim:)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
I knew we'd get you.

SandLightningRidgeHat13.jpg

Overall, I like the effect:

SandLightningRidgeHat12.jpg

Whew, that was a long, LONG post lol!

I edited down the quote for space saving's sake! ;)

Indeed you did get to me!

The new effect on the dent is pretty cool, very interesting! Great new cut, too.

Randy

Neophyte

monbla256 said:
.... suggest that you NOT even think about a Bushman :) Though I think you might be selling yourself a bit short as you probably would look good in hats that are full-sized as the Squatter and Bushman. Take a look how the LR looks w/it's WIDE brim:)

You're absolutely right. The only thing I can say is that the Squatter was my second hat, ever. I did not know much about shaping hats and proportions, and the shortish crease I gave the Squatter looked silly with the 3'' brim. Instead of trying to re-crease the hat, I simply trimmed a good 7/8'' off the brim lol. I've decided that, if I'm going to get a brim wider than 3 inches, it needs to curl, such as the 3.25'' brim on the Akubra Overlander. This is only because, while I like the look of the Bushman, I'm not too hot for the Nullarbor Tan color.

One day I'll try the Squatter again; I'm really keen on the Moonstone one offered by DavidMorgan :). At any rate, thanks for the compliments and advice.

theinterchange said:
I edited down the quote for space saving's sake!

Indeed you did get to me!

The new effect on the dent is pretty cool, very interesting! Great new cut, too.

Randy

Thanks, I hope it helped :).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As for the description of Nulabor Tan as tan....

.... if you ever get a chance to see one in the daylight you'd see that it is really more of an OLIVE brown/green and NOWHERE near a TAN color. With you're stated liking of earth colors it would look GOOD :) JMHO

Neophyte

monbla256 said:
.... if you ever get a chance to see one in the daylight you'd see that it is really more of an OLIVE brown/green and NOWHERE near a TAN color. With you're stated liking of earth colors it would look GOOD :) JMHO

That's the thing, though. The only Bushman I've ever seen on the Lounge belonged to Colby Jack. His pics are in the first few pages of the Akubra Overload thread, and they are all taken either indoors or in cloudy weather.

No one has yet to give us an accurate representation of the color...any volunteers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe