Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

theinterchange

One Too Many
EggHead said:
124tt3o.jpg

Now it looks fantastic, a little taper was just the thing to get this proportioned to your facial shape. Well done!

Randy

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
RobFedoraField said:
I think this works well for a cattleman's crease, but it is a larger hat (brim hair over 3", crown is pert-near 5 1/2" at highest point) compared to the campdraft.
Rob-
I bet that hat was made for either a cattleman's crease or that funky four dented trooper crease (I have no idea what it's called)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just a little update on the status of my "next hat." Well, as it turns out I bid on an eBay auction for a vintage homburg (that I may or may not convert to a fedora), so this fall I don't think I can see myself justifying an Akubra. However, for Christmas I may put some extra dough to good use, and perhaps then my purchase will be an acorn Stylemaster, or tawny fawn Federation, depends really. I'll see. I'm going to want a lighter-colored felt for next summer's Europe visit (Croatia) anyway...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just got word on my Stylemaster....

.... as I said a few days ago, DM refered me to another retailer for my Mid-Brown Stylemaster and they just called me to verify my order and tell me it is on it's way. Next time I can stop in Portland ( on my way to my daughter's in Seattle) I will DEFINATELY stop in and check out John Helmer Haberdasher's ! Have got to put them in the SAME league as DM for sure!!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Hey Interchange, I'm digging your avatar and signature ...

"BILLIE SUE! LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER ... "

Thanks! I watched the film last night for the upteenth time. Each time I notice something new... this time it was Phil Silvers' character biting his thumb at a passing vehicle when he was hitchhiking.

"The WHAT? Now, what the hell is the Smiler Grogan case?"

"The tuna factory robbery! The case I've been talking about for the last fifteen years!"

Randy

Neil

A-List Customer
Casual and International

I appreciate the tips, fellows.
I've been communicating with Sam at Everything Australian, and there's a three month wait (!) for either the Casual or the International. Noggintops says the sole US distributor doesn't bring either model in anymore, period. Hatsdirect doesn't carry either model.
But the nice lady at Hornets Hats says Christy's will make up a foldaway in any of about 12 colors in a week, and the hat and shipping comes to a grand total of 75 pounds sterling.
Works for me.
Love to have an Akubra, but by the time I got it, it'd be Panama season again.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been communicating with Sam at Everything Australian, and there's a three month wait (!) for either the Casual or the International. Noggintops says the sole US distributor doesn't bring either model in anymore, period. Hatsdirect doesn't carry either model.
But the nice lady at Hornets Hats says Christy's will make up a foldaway in any of about 12 colors in a week, and the hat and shipping comes to a grand total of 75 pounds sterling.
Works for me.
Love to have an Akubra, but by the time I got it, it'd be Panama season again.

I don't know why you keep saying that HatsDirect doesn't have the Akubra Casual...perhaps you are having trouble navigating the site?

...Granted, you're getting a huge deal with the Christy's versus HatsDirect's prices. Here in the US it now makes sense to purchase from DavidMorgan and Noggintops, now that the prices of these hats are almost equal, and shipping here is MUCH less [huh].

Neil

A-List Customer
Righto

My apologies. You are right, of course. HatsDirect has it, but in black and grey, and I already have a grey travel hat. It's the Regency Fawn that I'm after, and I just messaged them asking if it's available.
I don't really care about a small price difference. I want a good travel hat, and I'll bet the Akubra is just that.
David Morgan, incidentally, only has the Casual in Grey, and only in size seven, and can't order more. He says the style is discontinued. (Replaced, I suspect, by the International, since there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference).

...But the nice lady at Hornets Hats says Christy's will make up a foldaway in any of about 12 colors in a week, and the hat and shipping comes to a grand total of 75 pounds sterling.
Works for me.

Will they do selected crown heights & brim lengths? Last one I got was a requested 2 5/8" brim & it looks like it came out of the crown! :eek:
So low I can't even do a mild centerdent with pinches.... :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe