Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Neil

A-List Customer
Akubra and Christy

Thanks for the tip on Nungar. But I'm not looking for the Traveller. They do have the Casual and the International, but not in stock. (long wait).
As for the question about Christy's, I have no idea. I just asked for the Foldaway in navy blue, size 61, and was told they'd have it made and ship it in about a week.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
A first for me, ran into a guy wearing a Bushman here in town....

... was going into my local Kroger's and he was coming out with that distinctive color of the Bushman on his head. I ALSO was wearing mine and we stopped and compared hats. He was down from Portland visiting family here and said he bought his from DM about 5 years ago. It had the Aussie style of Cattlemans crease and his brim was down front and back. Very "Dinkum Aussie" as they say. was neat :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... was going into my local Kroger's and he was coming out with that distinctive color of the Bushman on his head. I ALSO was wearing mine and we stopped and compared hats. He was down from Portland visiting family here and said he bought his from DM about 5 years ago. It had the Aussie style of Cattlemans crease and his brim was down front and back. Very "Dinkum Aussie" as they say. was neat :)

That IS neat! Very cool!

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tip on Nungar. But I'm not looking for the Traveller. They do have the Casual and the International, but not in stock. (long wait).
As for the question about Christy's, I have no idea. I just asked for the Foldaway in navy blue, size 61, and was told they'd have it made and ship it in about a week.
:eusa_doh: :eek:
How's my comprehension? Somewhere between reading your post, looking up Nungar and posting a response, I forgot you were looking for a travel hat, not the Traveller!

don't I feel sheepish? :D lol

theinterchange

One Too Many
The Bluegrass Green CD is here!

I'm quite pleased with the color, it's rich yet not harshly green. The hat itself is a little more on the fuzzy side than any Akubra I've owned, but EXTREMELY soft and floppy! :D

5082157275_82a113ce80_b.jpg

I just dry bashed it. [note that the left side of the pinch loosened when I stuck the hat on my hand for these photos] Needs some steam to get the ribbon ends going the right direction.

Will get some head shots tomorrow.

Thanks for all those who've posted their Bluegrass CD's lately, you pushed me in the right direction!

Randy

P.S I have a few more pics in the dedicated Campdraft thread.

Last edited:

Neophyte

What is the only hat, other than the FedIV, in Akubra's Heritage Line that has no taper?

Here's a hint: it'll probably be my next lid. :p

Can you guess?

Neophyte

:eusa_doh: Oh crap! I forgot that there were two such hats on DM...oops lol.

The correct answer is the Overlander, but you get full credit on account of my error :p.

Oh, and Rodkins, you have been on a roll with the nice hats, haven't you! Huckel, Nostalgia, Campdraft...you're acquiring a very nice collection :).

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_doh: Oh crap! I forgot that there were two such hats on DM...oops lol.

The correct answer is the Overlander, but you get full credit on account of my error :p.

Oh, and Rodkins, you have been on a roll with the nice hats, haven't you! Huckel, Nostalgia, Campdraft...you're acquiring a very nice collection :).
Thanks. I was just messing with you with the Burke and Wills.

Neophyte

What color Overlander are you looking at, Alexander?

That's difficult to say, as this purchase may be a while off.
As much as I love the sand color, I must admit that if I purchase an Overlander in Sand, it would effectively shut out the Lightning Ridge from my rotation (with my large noggin and square jawline, less is more in terms of taper). I love the color and feel of the Lightning Ridge, so this is something I'd like to avoid.

It may finally be time to put a brown hat in my rotation, like Dark Fawn. I can't see it getting many Indy comments, at the very least lol.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Glad you're hepped on the Sand color!

As much as I love the sand color, I must admit that if I purchase an Overlander in Sand, it would effectively shut out the Lightning Ridge from my rotation (with my large noggin and square jawline, less is more in terms of taper). I love the color and feel of the Lightning Ridge, so this is something I'd like to avoid.

It may finally be time to put a brown hat in my rotation, like Dark Fawn. I can't see it getting many Indy comments, at the very least lol.

I've hit my limit in terms of hats for a while myself, so I know where you're coming from. BUT, I seriously think my next Akubra will be a sand Overlander.

EVERYONE needs at least one brown hat!

When it comes to Indy comments, my regular mail carrier who IS an Indy fan... [he went to see Raiders of the Lost Ark 4-5 times when it came out!], made a "You look like Indiana Jones!" comment the other day while I was wearing my GREEN Mallory. :eusa_doh:

Randy

P.S I just noticed that the smilies aren't working...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So you are going for the 1950's movie cowboy look?....

.... I don't blame you for choosing the Overlander especially as it comes with a VERY nice braided Kangaroo hat band ! :) And your choice of color is great as well !! Akubra's browns are some of the nicest IMHO :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My Stylemaster is getting closer!! .....

Just checked the UPS tracking site and my Stylemaster has just left Salt Lake City and is on it's way south !! I feel like a 5 yo on Christmas Eve :) Just two more days till it's here :)

Last edited:

Neophyte

.... I don't blame you for choosing the Overlander especially as it comes with a VERY nice braided Kangaroo hat band ! :) And your choice of color is great as well !! Akubra's browns are some of the nicest IMHO :)

Well my main reason is that it's the only hat (other than the Burke&Willis) in Akubra's Heritage line (I'm hooked on Heritage after the Lightning Ridge) that seems to have very little taper (read: none) side-to-side. I also like the Lightning Ridge as an outdoors hat (that wide brim is awesome :)), so I don't want to shut it out of my rotation by having two Sand hats with one that looks better on me than the other. And yes, that dark fawn color looks great and that Kangaroo leather band is attractive as well.

And I'm not really going for the cowboy look...I guess there are similarities, but I also think the crown on the Overlander is much too short for the traditional cowboy look. It looks very Australian to me, but I suppose that in the Western Hemisphere, it's going to have a cowboy "aura"...oh well :).

Hey, glad to see your Stylemaster's near. You got the mid-brown, right? Can't wait to see it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe