Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The pic of Colby Jack's Bushman on Pg. 7....

.... is VERY close to my Bushman just a bit more olive green tone . Both of my Bushmasters are this Olive Brown/green shade 'cept my 30 yo one is much, much dirtier :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As I understand it, it was the first style DM sold....

.... back when they started in the 60's. Was the first and only Akubra I had had for 30+ years till two years ago when i got ANOTHER Bushman. :)

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Bebop said:
I have not reshaped my BP at all. I can see a big difference between yours and mine. Almost a different hat altogether! I got mine at David Morgan's store, not through the mail. Where did you acquire your BP?

I got mine through Everything Australian. Actually looking at the various website pictures, the DM BP shown is more of a teardrop shape whereas the EA version is definitely a centre dent style similar to that shown on Akubra's website. So perhaps David Morgan re-bash it before selling?

Actually rather like your version. There is a slight dent in the centre of mine where my noggin meets hat which I suspect might not be an issue with the teardrop style. Maybe at some point I'll get the courage to attempt a re-bash, but not just yet.....

Neil

A-List Customer
Hard to find

Does anyone know where I might buy an Akubra Casual, or an Akubra International? Noggintops doesn't appear to carry either. Nor does hatsdirect.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neil said:
Does anyone know where I might buy an Akubra Casual, or an Akubra International? Noggintops doesn't appear to carry either. Nor does hatsdirect.

DavidMorgan carries the Casual, and its on sale.

However, you'll probably get best prices (including shipping) from EverythingAustralian.com.au.
EverythingAustralian carries both the Casual and the International, and, in rare form for EA, you don't have to wait three months for any of the colors. They are both very smart-looking hats, and you should get a great deal on them.

Oh, and HatsDirect does carry the Casual, albeit in fewer available colors than EA (never thought that would happen lol).

Hope this helps!

Gromulus

Practically Family
David Morgan only shows the Casual in a size 7. This is the only size they have been listing on their site for at least the past several weeks. Perhaps the last one and they do not want to re-stock.

Neophyte

Gromulus said:
David Morgan only shows the Casual in a size 7. This is the only size they have been listing on their site for at least the past several weeks. Perhaps the last one and they do not want to re-stock.

Whoah, good catch on that. Didn't even notice :eek: ...

I gotta say, though, that the Akubra International looks very enticing...if only I travelled more [huh] .

Mr E Train

One Too Many
jlee562 said:
Hey Akubra guys, the Campdraft is basically the same as an Open Road, no?

Essentially. The modern Open Roads are blocked with a cattleman's crease, whereas the Campdraft is an open crown hat that you shape yourself.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Mr E Train said:
Essentially. The modern Open Roads are blocked with a cattleman's crease, whereas the Campdraft is an open crown hat that you shape yourself.

That's what I thought...I definitely don't like the cattleman's crease, and have seen a lot of nice open roads with fedora style creases. I feel compelled to buy one, haha!

theinterchange

One Too Many
jlee562 said:
That's what I thought...I definitely don't like the cattleman's crease, and have seen a lot of nice open roads with fedora style creases. I feel compelled to buy one, haha!

It takes the right hat for a cattleman's crease to work well.

Modern OR's are a bit smaller spec wise, too.

Randy

Neophyte

When considering price, quality, your needs in a hat, and your interest in the style, I think there's no question that you'd be best served purchasing a vintage OR or a modern Akubra CampDraft.
The "fullness" of the hat should not factor into your decision, as the open crown is versatile enough that it can achieve all manner of sizes and shapes. Heck, just look at Mr. E's green, reverse-pinch diamond-thingy!
It has been noted by many on the Lounge that something about the Open Road style lends the wearer a slight...I guess you'd call it "aura", of authority and power (not to mention style). I'm certain that you'd like one if you got one.

Good luck to you!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
When considering price, quality, and your needs in a hat, and your interest in the style, I think there's no question that you'd be best served purchasing a vintage OR or a modern Akubra CampDraft.
The "fullness" of the hat should not factor into your decision, as the open crown is versatile enough that it can achieve all manner of sizes and shapes. Heck, just look at Mr. E's green, reverse-pinch diamond-thingy!
It has been noted by many on the Lounge that something about the Open Road style lends the wearer a slight...I guess you'd call it "aura", of authority and power (not to mention style). I'm certain that you'd like one if you got one.

Good luck to you!

I will probably pick one up down the line. I was inspired by Yep's hat in the "post your new hats" thread. But I've got a custom stingy brim coming my way from Black Sheep Hat Works in a month or two that I have to pay off first! :D

But I figured I'd balance out the stingy with another wide brim!

Neophyte

Tonight I gave the Lightning Ridge a cold-water bath, and turned the center crease into a legitimate "teardent" or "almost-teardrop". I hope it softens up a little. I would have waited for the next rain but the forecast is actually looking good (you know, sunny and such :mad: ) lol!

I can't wait for the weather to get colder, though. I'm very interested to see how Imperial Quality and Heritage Quality compare in terms of warmth.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Tonight I gave the Lightning Ridge a cold-water bath, and turned the center crease into a legitimate "teardent" or "almost-teardrop". I hope it softens up a little. I would have waited for the next rain but the forecast is actually looking good (you know, sunny and such :mad: ) lol!

I can't wait for the weather to get colder, though. I'm very interested to see how Imperial Quality and Heritage Quality compare in terms of warmth.

Don't forget to take some pics for us! ;) [I used the winking smiley because you're one member who likes to give us photos, which is always fun... Makes you feel a part of someone's hat wearing experience. I should put more effort into shooting my hats]

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
Don't forget to take some pics for us! ;) [I used the winking smiley because you're one member who likes to give us photos, which is always fun... Makes you feel a part of someone's hat wearing experience. I should put more effort into shooting my hats]

Randy

Keep in mind that a lot of my photos are accompanied by questions to our fellow Loungers. I stopped posting for a while because I got tired of posting the same hats over and over.

I started again with the Bluegrass Green Campdraft because, at the time, me and JimmytheLid were the only ones within the last few years with one (then the BG CD tsunami hat, and I think you know how that went :p ).

I started posting even more with the Lightning Ridge because, hell, until Bebop posted a couple pages back there was ONLY one pic on the entire lounge about that hat lol.

But please, post your pics. The Resistol you posted on the WHAYWT thread needs more screentime :).

EggHead

Practically Family
New crease for Sydney - center dent

33o5j41.jpg

sqifew.jpg

124tt3o.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Keep in mind that a lot of my photos are accompanied by questions to our fellow Loungers. I stopped posting for a while because I got tired of posting the same hats over and over.

I started again with the Bluegrass Green Campdraft because, at the time, me and JimmytheLid were the only ones within the last few years with one (then the BG CD tsunami hat, and I think you know how that went :p ).

I started posting even more with the Lightning Ridge because, hell, until Bebop posted a couple pages back there was ONLY one pic on the entire lounge about that hat lol.

But please, post your pics. The Resistol you posted on the WHAYWT thread needs more screentime :).

I've always enjoyed your pictorial posts, especially of the Bluegrass CD and now the Lighting Ridge.

I have some off head shots of the Resistol I'll be posting shortly.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe