Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

GHT

I'll Lock Up

REAL CHILI...

Seriously, I have no intention of getting drawn into what is or what isn't real chilli. And, I have to spell it double LL because that's Brit speak and I had the most formidable English teacher, who has probably, popped his mortal coil, but his ghost lurks within, or at least near, my keyboard. Not only that, there are any number of my compatriats, who are, at this very moment, reading this. Then there are lurkers abound, waiting for me to acquiese to any sort of Americanism.

Chilli con carne, served in GHT Towers, will see:
An spanish onion, finely chopped, sauteed with a few crushed garlic cloves. To this will be added beef, that has been put through a grinder. thrown into that mix will be deseeded chilli peppers, tea spoonful or two, of chilli powder, mild or strong, depending on your sinuses and, shock horror, a can of kidney beans. In addition, you can, ( and I do, ) add a can of tomatoes, (that's tom-Ah-toes, not tom-mate-toes) as well as a red pepper and a spoonful of cocoa powder. Traditionalists look away now. I also add a generous glug or three of red wine.

Simmer until tender. In the meantime boil a good helping of balsamic rice. When the rice is cooked, seive it, then rinse it in boiling water. Serve it in a circle on the dinner plate, pour the chilli into the centre. Eat and enjoy.

Then come back here to get your arse kicked because it wasn't authentic.

Last edited:
REAL HOOSIER CHILI

2 pounds fresh ground beef 1 quart tomato juice 1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained 1 medium-large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) 1/2 cup diced celery 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper 1/4 cup chili powder (use less for milder chili) 1 teaspoon ground cumin (use more for real flavor) 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper Instructions: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You can also cook this in a slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours.

HD

REAL HOOSIER CHILI

2 pounds fresh ground beef 1 quart tomato juice 1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained 1 medium-large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) 1/2 cup diced celery 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper 1/4 cup chili powder (use less for milder chili) 1 teaspoon ground cumin (use more for real flavor) 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper Instructions: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You can also cook this in a slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours.

HD

That is about how the wife does it, I think. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
REAL HOOSIER CHILI: 2 pounds fresh ground beef 1 quart tomato juice 1 (29-ounce) can tomato purée 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained 1 medium-large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups) 1/2 cup diced celery 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper 1/4 cup chili powder (use less for milder chili) 1 teaspoon ground cumin (use more for real flavor) 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon sugar 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper Instructions: In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off the fat. Put the beef and the remaining ingredients in a 6-quart pot. Cover the pot and let the chili simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. You can also cook this in a slow cooker on low for 3 to 4 hours. HD

Geez, now you are for it.

Enough said!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg