Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

DonR

A-List Customer
A Pilgrim Panama

1000004671.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
* nice to hear from The Lost Cowboy... enjoy your updates very much !

Ill chime in that it was good to see the Lost Cowboy resurface... guess the internet finally caught up with him over there!
Thank you, gentlemen - I appreciate the sentiment very much.

Not having full access to TFL has been a double-edged sword: obviously frustrating to not see any photos for the last three weeks. But also a bit liberating, since I've had no reason to spend time online. I've even taken to leaving my phone in my room (can anybody else remember the days when nobody carried phones with them)?

Obviously only having one hat (and a flat cap) with me means I don't want to bore you all with endless photos of it, but I definitely intend to post a few more interesting updates over the next few months. My mission over here is to heal up so I can get back to work next year, so I am not the typical tourist. I guess that's also a good thing since I don't have endless tourist photos to share ("And here I am with the FED IV at the very last Buddha stupa on the street. I know it looks just like the other 12 photos of Buddha stupas I showed already, but if you look closely you can see that the FED IV brim is bent slightly upward in this photo, giving it a more urban look." :D :D )

Peace!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Beautiful lid! For those of us relatively new to hats, what specifically about the 25 makes it feel so much better than the Akubra Fed?
Flipping through the thread I realize I never responded to your query. My apologies, I was very busy with a pack-out at the time you posted this.

Honestly, the difference is the same as any item of lesser quality compared to one of higher quality - until you actually handle the higher quality item, it's just very hard to understand or even imagine the difference. A PC versus a MacBook comes to mind (since I'm on a MacBook), a BMW versus a VW, a haircut with a very good quality pair of scissors versus one with the scissors your daughter uses to cut out paper dolls. A Scorsese film versus the ABC movie of the week.

I used to swim everyday at uni (I attended the University of Florida) and would often watch other swimmers pounding out their laps. Some of them were very good - or at least I thought so until one day an olympic athlete came in for his workout. He was in the line in front of me to sign in and had an Olympic tattoo on his ankle and I asked him if he was an olympian. He said yes, that he had competed at the last Olympics and that the athletes' pool was closed so he came to the plebeian one.

It was the only time I ever saw him but he was unforgettable. Watching that guy move was like nothing I have ever seen - especially his butterfly. In six strokes that guy was across the pool, and he kept doing it over and over and over. He was moving an incredible amount of water and yet created very little ripples or splashes. He was literally flying out of the water.

That's a similar feeling I get when I switch from an Akubra to a top-of-the-line vintage Stetson: The Stetson felt is denser but at the same time lighter. Even though he sweatband is wider, I hardly know it's there. The hand of the Stetson makes the Akubra feel like some kind of rough wool, but at the same time the Stetson feels even sturdier than the Akubra (which is pretty darn sturdy). Similarly the JBS hat liner is like a massage on the head whereas the Akubra's is like a penitence. In short, the Stetson is a breathe of fresh air whereas the Akubra is a hard day's work.

Sorry for the novel, but like I say, until you actually handle a top-line vintage lid, it's really very hard to understand the difference. And I like Akubras very much, just to be clear - I own a good number of them, I wear them, and the only hat I brought on my trip is an Akubra. But I miss my vintage JBS's (and Mallorys).

Hope this inspires you to try to find your own vintage JBS 25 or maybe even a 7XCB. They are well worth the effort to discover.

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Flipping through the thread I realize I never responded to your query. My apologies, I was very busy with a pack-out at the time you posted this.

Honestly, the difference is the same as any item of lesser quality compared to one of higher quality - until you actually handle the higher quality item, it's just very hard to understand or even imagine the difference. A PC versus a MacBook comes to mind (since I'm on a MacBook), a BMW versus a VW, a haircut with a very good quality pair of scissors versus one with the scissors your daughter uses to cut out paper dolls. A Scorsese film versus the ABC movie of the week.

I used to swim everyday at uni (I attended the University of Florida) and would often watch other swimmers pounding out their laps. Some of them were very good - or at least I thought so until one day an olympic athlete came in for his workout. He was in the line in front of me to sign in and had an Olympic tattoo on his ankle and I asked him if he was an olympian. He said yes, that he had competed at the last Olympics and that the athletes' pool was closed so he came to the plebeian one.

It was the only time I ever saw him but he was unforgettable. Watching that guy move was like nothing I have ever seen - especially his butterfly. In six strokes that guy was across the pool, and he kept doing it over and over and over. He was moving an incredible amount of water and yet created very little ripples or splashes. He was literally flying out of the water.

That's a similar feeling I get when I switch from an Akubra to a top-of-the-line vintage Stetson: The Stetson felt is denser but at the same time lighter. Even though he sweatband is wider, I hardly know it's there. The hand of the Stetson makes the Akubra feel like some kind of rough wool, but at the same time the Stetson feels even sturdier than the Akubra (which is pretty darn sturdy). Similarly the JBS hat liner is like a massage on the head whereas the Akubra's is like a penitence. In short, the Stetson is a breathe of fresh air whereas the Akubra is a hard day's work.

Sorry for the novel, but like I say, until you actually handle a top-line vintage lid, it's really very hard to understand the difference. And I like Akubras very much, just to be clear - I own a good number of them, I wear them, and the only hat I brought on my trip is an Akubra. But I miss my vintage JBS's (and Mallorys).

Hope this inspires you to try to find your own vintage JBS 25 or maybe even a 7XCB. They are well worth the effort to discover.
This, my friend, is an OUTSTANDING essay on the nearly-mystical nature of "quality."

TimmyV

One of the Regulars
A few days ago I got a tip from Randall Renshaw about a veritable bargain in my size on eBay so I checked it out and boy am I happy that I did !

The Imperial by Stevens in Dove Gray with tone on tone brim edge binding and matching thin grosgrain ribbon hatband. I especially like the unreeded sweatband as it makes the hat super comfortable to wear.

* Thanks again Randall !
20240815_151741.jpg
20240815_151749.jpg
20240815_151756.jpg
20240815_151803.jpg
20240815_151814.jpg
20240815_151820.jpg
20240815_151857.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
A few days ago I got a tip from Randall Renshaw about a veritable bargain in my size on eBay so I checked it out and boy am I happy that I did !

The Imperial by Stevens in Dove Gray with tone on tone brim edge binding and matching thin grosgrain ribbon hatband. I especially like the unreeded sweatband as it makes the hat super comfortable to wear.

* Thanks again Randall !
View attachment 633616 View attachment 633617 View attachment 633618 View attachment 633619 View attachment 633620 View attachment 633621 View attachment 633622
That is a STUNNER, Timmy! And a hearty cheer of friendship to Randall for the alert!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton