Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

VoodooSan

One Too Many
A little over a week ago, I scored a hat off one of the less-visited auction sites. It was listed as a Resistol homburg, which the pics showed it very clearly wasn’t; my best guess was that it was simply a very pristine, essentially unshaped, western.

When it arrived, it actually proved to be a mid 1960s Forest Service model. Once I learned what it was, I was intending to leave it in its original shape, for historical accuracy and sentiment. But one look at that particular shape, on my head, showed that option was a non-starter, as the Brits say. :eek:

So, some quick steam work, and Voila, a very handsome fedora was born.

Resistol Forest Svc 3.jpg
Resistol Forest Svc 4.jpg

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
A little over a week ago, I scored a hat off one of the less-visited auction sites. It was listed as a Resistol homburg, which the pics showed it very clearly wasn’t; my best guess was that it was simply a very pristine, essentially unshaped, western.

When it arrived, it actually proved to be a mid 1960s Forest Service model. Once I learned what it was, I was intending to leave it in its original shape, for historical accuracy and sentiment. But one look at that particular shape, on my head, showed that option was a non-starter, as the Brits say. :eek:

View attachment 633414 View attachment 633415

That really is a beauty Uncle Voo!

wsmontana

A-List Customer

Very sharp, Mark!

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks great!!!
Can’t even tell it was anything but a snazzy fedora.
All’s well that ends well, imo.

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Holy cow I can see photos! I feel like a blind man who’s miraculously healed.

Alas, it’s only for a few days while I’m at a different guesthouse than my usual one. My usual guesthouse is excellent quality in every way except internet. I don’t mind since I’m not spending a great deal of time online anyway these days, but it is nice to see a bit of the hat parade every once in a while.

Here I am in the Fed IV out for a walkabout with some good friends - a retired US American scholar of Japanese film and his Japanese wife. They live here in Melaka.

The second photo is me (sans hat) with two Kashmiri brothers (dear dear friends) who run a few shops here in town (the young lady is a tourist and the baby is my buddy’s first child). This photo is of interest because it is these friends who first named me “The Lost Cowboy.”

Stay cool out there friends!

View attachment 633386
View attachment 633389
Great to see you popping in here.

TimmyV

One of the Regulars

Nice score man !! Looks good on ya too

RickP

Practically Family
Ill chime in that it was good to see the Lost Cowboy resurface... guess the internet finally caught up with him over there!

Ive been trying to take it easy after the foot surgery, but my poor retired brain seems to be hardwired to wake up at 5am for the gym whether i set an alarm or not. Makes it hard to sleep late when I wake up before Mr Moose the Lab. Im staying out of the gym for a week, but Im thinking I need to get my arse in gear and at least get over to the coffee shop in the mornings. ( so I got dressed lol)

I crossing my fingers that a couple big well padded boxes will arrive today with a couple of what I think are 60's 3x open roads ( both are 7-1/4 but one is a long oval).. As usual I m not positive of the color from the pictures. One looks like a silverbelly but the other is either more of a beige, or the lighting in the pics was off. Just really hope I dont have to steam and unfold them lol. SO... today Im starting the morning in my slightly newer early 70s 4x OR in advance of an all Open Road weekend
Compress_20240815_071106_6702.jpg

I like it! Nice job

Mighty44

One Too Many

That is beautiful, Mark—congrats!

VoodooSan

One Too Many

RickP

Practically Family

The brim looks mighty sharp for an auction hat... did it arrive like that or did you clean it up and shave a hair off? Ive picked a few hat up that had nibbles, burn marks, or stains on the edge.... Timming 1/8" off with a brim cutter really cleaned them up a lot

VoodooSan

One Too Many
The brim looks mighty sharp for an auction hat... did it arrive like that or did you clean it up and shave a hair off? Ive picked a few hat up that had nibbles, burn marks, or stains on the edge.... Timming 1/8" off with a brim cutter really cleaned them up a lot
No, I lucked out, Rick. Didn't have to do a thing to this one, except stretch it a bit, and reshape the crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeLSA