Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Beautiful lid! For those of us relatively new to hats, what specifically about the 25 makes it feel so much better than the Akubra Fed?

There are several factors to consider, here:

Era of manufacture: The Stetson 25 is likely from the 1950s or 1960s, when hatmaking was closer to its prime. During this time, hats were made to higher quality in general. While the felting process hasn't changed much, the finishing processes were of higher quality. The hand of the hat is better, the pouncing more consistent, and the finishing elements (ribbon, bow, sweatband) were of higher quality with better workmanship.

Felt quality: In addition to the finish of the felt being better and more consistent, the Stetson 25 was manufactured with a better quality of raw materials. While nobody knows exactly, it likely has a blend of rabbit/hare and beaver in the mix. This makes for a better felting process and increases the ability to finish the hat to a higher level.

Stetson vs. Akubra: While Akubra makes a very nice hat, Stetson made much better hats in the 50s and 60s than Akubra does now.

Some may weigh in with other takes, but that's how I look at it.

TimmyV

One of the Regulars
This morning I was looking at all my hats & this one hollered at me. Black Imperial Stetson Key Club with Ultimate Finish. I especially like the shark gill treatment of the hatband and the semi- cattlemen crease in the crown of the hat sets it apart from others in my collection.
20240722_154709.jpg
20240722_154718.jpg
20240722_154727.jpg
20240722_154737.jpg
20240722_154803.jpg

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
Well friends, this is it: I am about to board my first flight on the long road to Malaysia, under the brim of the heritage fawn FED IV.

This is also a chance to show off my fancy airplane hat storage device. With this advanced technology, the hat can safely be hung from the coat hook on the seat in front of you. Get yours today, only $19.95!! :D

It’s been a bit over a year since I started being active on TFL once again. I am grateful for so many great folks on this site. My life would have been much more difficult during that time without this community - it has been a great blessing to me.

Happy Tuesday to you, friends. Next stop, Dallas/Fort Worth!

View attachment 628565
View attachment 628566

Safe travels Nathan! Looking forward to tales of your adventures

Well friends, this is it: I am about to board my first flight on the long road to Malaysia, under the brim of the heritage fawn FED IV.

This is also a chance to show off my fancy airplane hat storage device. With this advanced technology, the hat can safely be hung from the coat hook on the seat in front of you. Get yours today, only $19.95!! :D

It’s been a bit over a year since I started being active on TFL once again. I am grateful for so many great folks on this site. My life would have been much more difficult during that time without this community - it has been a great blessing to me.

View attachment 628565
View attachment 628566
Safe travels Nathan.

Mighty44

One Too Many

View attachment 628565
View attachment 628566
Best of luck, Nathan!

View attachment 628565
View attachment 628566

Princess Bride.gif

Rogue Scholar

New in Town
There are several factors to consider, here:

Era of manufacture: The Stetson 25 is likely from the 1950s or 1960s, when hatmaking was closer to its prime. During this time, hats were made to higher quality in general. While the felting process hasn't changed much, the finishing processes were of higher quality. The hand of the hat is better, the pouncing more consistent, and the finishing elements (ribbon, bow, sweatband) were of higher quality with better workmanship.

Felt quality: In addition to the finish of the felt being better and more consistent, the Stetson 25 was manufactured with a better quality of raw materials. While nobody knows exactly, it likely has a blend of rabbit/hare and beaver in the mix. This makes for a better felting process and increases the ability to finish the hat to a higher level.

Stetson vs. Akubra: While Akubra makes a very nice hat, Stetson made much better hats in the 50s and 60s than Akubra does now.

Some may weigh in with other takes, but that's how I look at it.
Thanks for the thorough explanation! I was surprised by Nathan’s post because I’ve heard some ppl say that heritage Akubras today are more resilient than most hats Stetson is currently making. I guess if I decide to get a Stetson it should be a vintage one….

RBH

Bartender

View attachment 628565
View attachment 628566
img_3033-jpeg.628565

Travel safe!!
We expect many photos!!!

Kansas City Hatters (Jon Akers).
I don't know if this hatter is in business right know, but i believe he has stopped.
I believe he is out of business also. When he first went into business he did several local media interviews & some were posted to YouTube. He had a Gofundme to raise money for blocks & other equipment, opened a one-man shop & worked by appointment only to keep visitors down & maximize his time. Wasn’t too long he moved his shop & never published his new address, so I assume his new location was in his garage; definitely not retail. No publicity or advertising since that move. I never got to meet Jon. Wouldn’t know how to confirm if he is still in business now.

Pellie

One Too Many
I believe he is out of business also. When he first went into business he did several local media interviews & some were posted to YouTube. He had a Gofundme to raise money for blocks & other equipment, opened a one-man shop & worked by appointment only to keep visitors down & maximize his time. Wasn’t too long he moved his shop & never published his new address, so I assume his new location was in his garage; definitely not retail. No publicity or advertising since that move. I never got to meet Jon. Wouldn’t know how to confirm if he is still in business now.
True. I saw his video's also. His last instagram post dates from 2020. On private messages he doesn't respond anymore. :-( Maybe in the future he will show up again, who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads