Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Frankly, on occasion, I'm glad for some of the commentary before and after a movie. However, you're right, more often than not, it does get to be rather trite........especially when there's no hidden meaning in a particular movie, and they go off on a tangent trying to find one. But then again, that's Hollywood........

Most Golden Era movies which do have "messages," present them clearly enough for a discerning viewer to pick up on (e.g., Force of Evil, Try and Get Me!, Crossfire, etc.). Yet some movies contain underlying messages which do benefit from some commentary, especially those made during HUAC's investigations, when it become unpopular (and damaging to one's career) to blame capitalism/the war/poverty for crime and other social ills. Sometimes these messages are supported by something as "simple" as a camera angle, or a lighting technique, which the casual viewer might not pick up on. I agree, though, that some critics look for hidden meanings in every flick of the hand or piece of under-the-breath dialogue that they see/hear, and that this detracts rather than adds to one's appreciation of the film...

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
So, for me anyway, what Dr. Joseph Q. Filmdegree. PhD, ME, LLC thinks about what the Oedipal subtext in "White Heat" says about the mounting anxieties of postwar masculinity is -- yeah, sure, whatever.

Yeah, film "critics" have had a field day with that parent/child relationship...

Yet an interesting take on White Heat, and the symbolism contained in it, was offered by John Howard Lawson, one of the "Hollywood Ten," after he viewed the film in prison:

"The prison audience--and this is probably true of any audience--associated the fictitious character with Cagney's reputation. The spectators saw him as an attractive symbol of toughness, defending himself against a cruel and irrational society; at least, [inmates] said, 'he has the guts to stand up and fight back!'...This emphasis on the individual's total depravity in a depraved society rejects the possibility of rational social cooperation...Man is doomed to prowl alone, a beast in the jungle." (Taken from Dark City, by Eddie Muller.) Citing Cagney as "an attractive symbol of toughness" may be a bit much for those outside the institution to swallow, but at least it shows how that segment of society viewed the movie and it's "message"...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun