Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular movie opinions...

:eek:fftopic:
Ahhh... I see..... I understand too ;) I hope it works out for you, because you deserve it :)
Catch is, she's also given me standing instructions that if an opportunity arises with a local girl who's a good fit and I decline that opportunity in favor of holding out for her, she's gonna hop the next plane out here and personally Gibbs-slap me into the next week... at this point we're more like "close friends pulling double duty as romantic sparring-partners," (hence the E-for-Equivalent being the operative word) but our deal is basically "whenever neither of us has a relationship closer to home, we still have each other." Thanks for the well-wishing:)... going purely by stats, we're gonna take a lot of work on both sides (especially with a near-total demographic role-reversal, I'm noticeably her junior), but I've long believed the people and things most worth having in life are the ones worth working the hardest for.

Funny, as I just told her in a letter, this is the first winter since my ex/ex-boss traded me in on a newer model that hasn't sent a chill through my soul even worse than the ones the northern winds send through my bones... but we need to get back to topic... so, [voice=R. Lee] what kind of jackwagon has a problem with Full Metal Jacket?[/voice] lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I liked Turner Classic Movies much better when it was about movies and not films. Over the last ten years or so it's become more and more a channel about dissecting and analysing what it shows, holding it up on a fork and studying it as "the art of film" rather than simply sitting back and enjoying the story it's trying to tell. I suppose this is the only way they can make the channel relevant to black-turtleneck-wearing young urbanites, but since that isn't me, I find it more irritating than anything else. I still watch, but I ignore all the new interstitial stuff as best I can.

MissMittens

One Too Many
I liked Turner Classic Movies much better when it was about movies and not films. Over the last ten years or so it's become more and more a channel about dissecting and analysing what it shows, holding it up on a fork and studying it as "the art of film" rather than simply sitting back and enjoying the story it's trying to tell. I suppose this is the only way they can make the channel relevant to black-turtleneck-wearing young urbanites, but since that isn't me, I find it more irritating than anything else. I still watch, but I ignore all the new interstitial stuff as best I can.

Frankly, on occasion, I'm glad for some of the commentary before and after a movie. However, you're right, more often than not, it does get to be rather trite........especially when there's no hidden meaning in a particular movie, and they go off on a tangent trying to find one. But then again, that's Hollywood........

Berlin

Practically Family
Ben Affleck, Mark Wahlberg should not be considered "actors", but irritations on the screen.

I second that!
Ben Affleck irritates me excessively. There is something about his head...I can't describe it. And his arts of acting isn't my taste aswell...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up

Yeah, but who else is going to spend half a day showing SILENT Our Gang shorts?!? TCM still shows a wider selection of obscure stuff than any other channel, even if you have to put up with pretentious a-holes like Ben Mankiewicz and craptastic recent films during their 31 Day of Oscar (e.g., tonight's Mr. Holland's Opus).

The bottom line is, they show a lot of great stuff, and if even if they show some films far too often - and have added some questionable film choices and dubious original programming in recent years - they're a treasure.

Just look at the Independent Film Channel, a once-excellent resource that has recently begun breaking into films for commercials!!! Soon it will be full-on Dark Side, like AMC...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Frankly, on occasion, I'm glad for some of the commentary before and after a movie. However, you're right, more often than not, it does get to be rather trite........especially when there's no hidden meaning in a particular movie, and they go off on a tangent trying to find one. But then again, that's Hollywood........

Thing is, most Hollywood movies of the era were intended as nothing more than mass entertainment, manufactured on a schedule and turned out to make a profit, and no more fraught with meaning than the typical Saturday Evening Post short story. You can go looking for hidden subtexts and po-mo interpretations all you want, but nine times out of ten you're reading something into the picture that isn't really there: it's what you are imposing on it, not what the screenwriter or the director or the actors put there. As Sam Goldwyn famously put it, "If you want a message, go to Western Union."

So, for me anyway, what Dr. Joseph Q. Filmdegree. PhD, ME, LLC thinks about what the Oedipal subtext in "White Heat" says about the mounting anxieties of postwar masculinity is -- yeah, sure, whatever. If it were up to me, I'd rather they used that time to run newsreels of chimps dressed up as firemen or Will Rogers Institute fundraising shorts or Please Do Not Spit On The Floor snipes.

Oh, I still watch, but I mourn for "The Sunny Side Of Life" and that Smith Ballew soundalike who used to sing the One Reel Wonders theme. That was the TCM I loved.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
If it were up to me, I'd rather they used that time to run newsreels of chimps dressed up as firemen or Will Rogers Institute fundraising shorts or Please Do Not Spit On The Floor snipes.

If I had my drothers, for the most part, I would agree. Old newsreel footage from Pathe', or the now infamous "shorts" that have disappeared into obscurity

LizzieMaine

Bartender
To give them credit, though, they did run six hours of "The March Of Time" last weekend, which was fascinating, especially the one about wartime teenage-girl culture. Fortunately I taped them, so I can fast-forward past the fatuous "here's why you should be watching these" intros. I already know why I'm watching them, cineaste-boy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun