Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The only "fatty foods" to avoid would be excessively processed, sugary things; or perhaps highly starchy foods..

And U.S. supermarket shelves are collapsing under the load of foods which have just that. And the cheapest, most readily available foods --the ones that everyone can find and afford-- are also the most processed, salty, corn syrupy and starchy.

TidiousTed

Practically Family
daily_picdump_782_640_35.jpg

They knew butter was good for you a long time ago

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Two things are commonly added to processed food to make them taste good in the US: Sugar and Fat. If you remove one (say the fat to make it lower calorie) you have to add the other (sugar) to make it taste good.

Granted, there are other things you can add to processed food to make it taste good, but those things aren't cheap.

If you actually look at "lower calorie" versions of foods, you will often find that they have much more sugar than the calorie "heavy" version of the same food.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What people need to stop doing is letting themselves be led around by the nose not just by marketing but also by diet fads -- too many people today see an article in a supermarket tabloid about "Such-and-such Makes You Fat!" or "So-and-So Is Good For Your Heart," and they immediately restructure their whole diet around that advice. Never mind that next week's issue might just tell them to do exactly the opposite. Fat's Good. Fat's Bad. No, Fat's Good. Unless it's Bad.

Bah.

Eat what makes you feel healthy. Don't eat what makes you feel sick. And don't take health advice from tabloids.

wahine

Practically Family
Eat what makes you feel healthy. Don't eat what makes you feel sick. And don't take health advice from tabloids.

How well and wisely put! I think the same way. You can't listen to the "health professionals" all the time, if you ask five of them, you'll get seven different opinions on what to eat when and how and so on.
Listen to your stomach and your heart, keep it tasty and colorful (speaking of fruits and vegetables), and don't overdo anything.

scooter

Practically Family
I believe this goes back to what I said many moons ago. That much of our decline is attributable to advertising. Advertising in this age, means simply "make 'em think they're getting something they're not." Corporations today want us to believe we're getting more than we actually are; the bag of potato chips half full of air, the plastic jar with the cupped bottom to make it appear bigger then it is, a Kia tested better than the Honda because it had a brighter dome light, the list goes on and on. I've heard it said, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

And it goes for their employees as well, avoiding culpability in a work related accident by not informing employees how to file a claim, forcing them to learn the hard way and avoiding paying on the first claim. (yes, this happened to me!) The bean counters run our world, boys and girls, the bottom line is the only figure that matters. And they are making it an ugly world indeed! We have the finest justice system money can buy, our politicians listen most closely to the highest bidder, and honor is an antiquated notion for fools and losers in our New World Order!

PoohBang

Suspended
I actually like the calorie count when I go out to eat. So many things you thought were "heathy" have calories that are pretty much equal to what you need for the whole day.

It's not the worst part. SODIUM! I almost passed out when I saw the numbers at Cheesecake Factory. Calories are part of it, the other bits are potentially worse. NaCl, fat, etc.
WE just started "juicing" 6 months ago. I've lost 32 pounds and feel great. Took a while to stop eating pasta, bread, rice etc. 10x a week, but now I'm much better off.

And U.S. supermarket shelves are collapsing under the load of foods which have just that. And the cheapest, most readily available foods --the ones that everyone can find and afford-- are also the most processed, salty, corn syrupy and starchy.

You forgot to mention tasty.:p
No one is out there force feeding the people out there with junk food. It is a free choice. If you make poor choices in all areas of your life then you exact the consequences. The thing missing today that is the actually culprit for the decline, is a complete inability to accept responsibility for what you do, have done or will do in the future. It is always someone else's fault. Those people need to walk around with a mirror in front of them. Excuses never cut it. Show me results.:rolleyes:

scooter

Practically Family
Speaking of advertising, how many have seen the new marketing campaign in favor of corn syrup and claiming that "sugar is sugar" as far as our bodies are considered. I believe this be a blatant lie. Sugar is definitely "not" sugar and this campaign is designed to ease any fears associated with corn syrup in order for the "marketeers" to sell more of a product they know is harmful. Just like the cigarette companies lied to us for years, telling us half truths and blatant lies in order to continue marketing their coffin nails, one pack at a time!

I agree with you James, but it is hard to make informed decisions when manufacturers are feeding us untruths and deceptive information intentionally!

Last edited:
It's not the worst part. SODIUM! I almost passed out when I saw the numbers at Cheesecake Factory. Calories are part of it, the other bits are potentially worse. NaCl, fat, etc.
WE just started "juicing" 6 months ago. I've lost 32 pounds and feel great. Took a while to stop eating pasta, bread, rice etc. 10x a week, but now I'm much better off.

I'll have to send along my raspberry lemonade recipe. :D

Speaking of advertising, how many have seen the new marketing campaign in favor of corn syrup and claiming that "sugar is sugar" as far as our bodies are considered. I believe this be a blatant lie. Sugar is definitely "not" sugar and this campaign is designed to ease any fears associated with corn syrup in order for the "marketeers" to sell more of a product they know is harmful. Just like the cigarette companies lied to us for years, telling us half truths and blatant lies in order to continue marketing their coffin nails, one pack at a time!

Do you really think that people were fooled by the cigarette companies? For goodness sake, in 1604 King James the 6th wrote his A Counterblast to Tobacco. In it he states:
"Have you not reason then to be ashamed and to forbear this filthy novelty, so basely grounded, so foolishly received and so grossly mistaken in the right use thereof. In your abuse thereof sinning against God harming yourselves both in person and goods, and raking also thereby the marks and notes of vanity upon you by the custom thereof making yourselves to be wondered at by all foreign civil nations and by all strangers that come among you to be scorned and held in contemp; a custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and in the black stinking fume thereof nearest resembling the horrible stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."

This was written just about at the nexus of tobacco importation to Europe. They knew then what we know now over 400 years ago. Anyone who was fooled was fairly misinformed. They didn't call them coughing nails and even coffin nails for nothing. :p

PoohBang

Suspended
You forgot to mention tasty.:p
No one is out there force feeding the people out there with junk food. It is a free choice. If you make poor choices in all areas of your life then you exact the consequences. The thing missing today that is the actually culprit for the decline, is a complete inability to accept responsibility for what you do, have done or will do in the future. It is always someone else's fault. Those people need to walk around with a mirror in front of them. Excuses never cut it. Show me results.:rolleyes:

It's only a free choice if you know what your choosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken