Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There's not much reality in today's reality shows. Situations are set up, the 'actors' are told what the desired outcome is, and to just go at it. They tape hours of footage for a few minutes of finished product.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Regarding the Oldies stations:
I have no problem with them playing 60s-80s. However, if they are going to do that, the rock station needs to play some new music. Dropping an occasional top 40 hit into your 80/90s playlist does not make the station interesting.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
It might not be for little ty ty to watch or people whose ears get hurt by "naughty words", but for a lot of adults this is great stuff.

Excuse me, but is this directed at me? Did I dis your favorite radio station or something by being shocked at stumbling across a graphic description of a blow job on the radio at 8:30 in the morning? Yeah, that might have been exciting to run across when I was teenager or even in my early 20s, but I've matured since then and don't require that sort of thing to get my rocks off. It's not necessarily my ears I worry about--a few minutes earlier I had a 6 year old girl in the back seat. Maybe you don't care if a child gets exposed to that sort of thing, but I do. I have no problem with there being such a station, but I do think it ought to be something that one specifically opts in to receive rather than part of the basic package.

Funny... I'd never even noticed you before, but now that I have I see that the majority of your posts are either in this thread or the thread on excessive posting, and the tone of many of them is snide and insulting. You're right, one can always change the channel and hey, there's a similar option here on the Lounge in the form of the Ignore list. Congratulations: you're the first one I've put on that list in the 5 years I've been a member.

Regards,
Tom

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Some people gotta get personal. Just because this fella gets the wrong idea he's gotta huff and puff. Then has to let the world know that he's put me on his "list", But I need to grow up?

And no I wasn't refering to anyone in particular sir you just read it that way. "Ty Ty" is a general kid reference, not to you kind sir.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There's not much reality in today's reality shows. Situations are set up, the 'actors' are told what the desired outcome is, and to just go at it. They tape hours of footage for a few minutes of finished product.
That is something I would never have guessed! But now that I know, I am thinking maybe it is all that much nicer for me, that I never watch those sorts of shows. Really!

The way I see it, we have enough "reality" dealing with day to day life. And most of those shows have to be dumber than a bag of hammers, to begin with. The names of some of them speak for themselves....Jersey Shores...what is that? They gonna show dead fish washed up on the beach there? What is that other one, about the Mom that has eight kids...that show could be entirely shot from the street doing nothing more than counting how many times the neighbors complain about noise....and the one about the Gal that has 15 guys and she is gonna pick a Husband from them? Get real! Who on earth would be so stupid? They should call that show, "Quick Pick".

Nope....reality shows just have no reality to them at all, even if they are scripted or not.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
In some ways, I think there have been many good shows that I wish they woud do some re-runs of them back. Anyone recall, "Mr. Ed"? Rin Tin Tin? Sky King?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There ya go! Thanks! I always thought that Mr. Ed's owner, "Wilber", was about the most well mannered actor on screen. And the show was funny, too!

There was a reference to schooling. Here in the US they keep adding rules and rules and rules for the teachers so that they get bogged down.

In California the CA university system has become very expensive where some 30 plus years ago it was free to students. One study that came out was along these lines- I don't have the actual numbers but its about like this: 30 years ago they had about 12000 professors, now they have about 12500 professors. 30 years ago there was about 3000 administrators now there is about 9000 administrators. The cost for the system is tipping away from education and more towards beaurocracy (spelling).

Not surprising. UCLA is the fifth largest employer in L.A. County. The Top Four are:

1. L.A. County
2. L.A. Unified School District
3. Federal Government
4. City of L.A.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes, but it's the kind of funny that few people understand anymore, excluding most of us here at the FL....
Well, now actually many people I know talk about shows like this and miss them...maybe they are "closet loungers" and just don't know it yet?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Lord do I ever love my wife! She went to the store at some point in time ( I was not aware she did any runs to the store), and she has stocked up the goodies drawer in the fridge! Yummy! Nice cold ripe mouth watering deep red apples, grapes, and some cheddar cheese with crackers to munch on while ping-a-linging on the puter for me! Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken