Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, it was not pancakes or waffles for me this morning, just some good strong coffee and the chilled air outside as I observed the sky. Fall seems to be here in spades!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Speaking of things delined lately, even the amount of "food" in containers is less now, you know look at the container of Ice Cream....they charge the same but it is a smaller container.....

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yep, I remember a year or two ago they had redesigned the plastic Tropicana orange juice container. I knew that it had always been 96 oz. I looked at the bottom of the label, and low (lo? loe?) and behold, it was 89 oz. For the same price.

They companies can't keep just raising prices, so someone got the bright idea to make the packages smaller. And redesign them, as well, to make it less obvious.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of things delined lately, even the amount of "food" in containers is less now, you know look at the container of Ice Cream....they charge the same but it is a smaller container.....

The same thing is happening in restaurants. I often go to a place, get my meal, and ask if its just me, or are the portions smaller than they were x years ago?

Not only that, I'm usually paying more.

rue

On that note.... why is it we need calorie counts on everything? If you're on a diet, you know you shouldn't be eating fatty stuff and you shouldn't need to look at a package to find out if it is. I get the ingredients part, because of special diets and things, but if I'm going to eat a bag of chips or some cookies, I'm going to eat them no matter what the calorie count is. I feel like we're being treated like morons.

The same thing is happening in restaurants. I often go to a place, get my meal, and ask if its just me, or are the portions smaller than they were x years ago?

Not only that, I'm usually paying more.

They must think we have all gone walleyed.
walleyed-man-thumb17581275.jpg

On that note.... why is it we need calorie counts on everything? If you're on a diet, you know you shouldn't be eating fatty stuff and you shouldn't need to look at a package to find out if it is. I get the ingredients part, because of special diets and things, but if I'm going to eat a bag of chips or some cookies, I'm going to eat them no matter what the calorie count is. I feel like we're being treated like morons.

Why? Well, because they are the government and they are here to Heeeeeelllllppp you.:rolleyes::eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
Caloric counts help level the playing field when it comes to Corporate nutritional abuse.
Notice how supposed "healthy foods" as produced by corporations are loaded with additional calories, fat, high fructose corn syrup, etc.? In the hands of corporations simple fruit smoothies or oatmeal w/fruit breakfast options have as much fat, sugar, and calories as a burger and fries.
If we are being treated like morons it is at the hands of Corporations and their marketing cronies. Common sense eating doesn't apply when dealing with a deck stacked against you.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic:

I wouldn't decry "fatty" foods.

Unprocessed animal fats and some processed dairy fats (e.g. butter) are typically regarded with disdain in this country, if not the entire "western" civilization. The body absolutely needs these fats and processes them quite thoroughly.

The only "fatty foods" to avoid would be excessively processed, sugary things; or perhaps highly starchy foods.

Beans and rice may seem healthy, but I've lost a considerable amount of weight, lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure and eliminated other various issues simply by limiting my overall carb intake (thereby getting rid of the beans and rice) and vastly increasing my protein intake, which includes fatty animal products. I'm full faster and for longer stretches, and I'm able to better maintain my health.

Lots of eggs, lots of fatty meat, lots of butter; very little bread, very little refined sugar, very little processed garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken