Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
No one is out there force feeding the people out there with junk food. It is a free choice.

How much of a free choice is it for someone who's poor and/or infirm, doesn't have a car, has hardly any time to cook (and perhaps not much more than a hotplate to their name), let alone much time to wait for and take buses to the not-all-that-near supermarket with a decent variety of fruits and vegetables (and let's not even get into organics)? On the other hand, every supermarket and minimarket everywhere has lots of very cheap, very preserved, already prepared food that makes its consumers sick over time.

You're right: in addition to consumers, producers, distributors, and advertisers of this junk food should be taking responsibility for the poison that they peddle. "Caveat emptor" is an ethically bankrupt way to sell to fellow human beings.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ITA Marc. Yes, people make their own choices, but what real choice does a person have when they have maybe $5 left to buy groceries, and their options are 10/$1 ramen noodles or organic lettuce that's $3/head and milk that needs refrigeration they don't have at home. I realize that is an extreme example, but we run a food pantry where I work and believe me, I see this exact situation almost daily.

Last edited:
How much of a free choice is it for someone who's poor and/or infirm, doesn't have a car, has hardly any time to cook (and perhaps not much more than a hotplate), let alone much time to wait for and take buses to the nearest supermarket with a decent variety of fruits and vegetables (and let's not even get into organics)? On the other hand, every supermarket and minimarket everywhere has lots of very cheap, very preserved, already prepared food that makes its consumers sick over time.

You're right: in addition to consumers, producers, distributors, and advertisers of this junk food should be taking responsibility for what they do. "Caveat emptor" is an ethically bankrupt way to sell to fellow human beings.

I don't get it. Is there just one shelf in your store labeled junk food? :rolleyes: We have the largest segemetn of the population on food stamps right now than ever. I am sure there is enough money there to buy groceries and that old grandma eating cat food is just silly. My grandparents were old and infirm. Never did they resort to eating lousy food. They warned against it.
How often do you cook sandwiches? A nice tomato and cheese does not require even a hot plate. How did all those people in the Depression get by without hotplates and stores right around the corner? They made do and did just fine. You are making excuses.
Oh and if you know of food producers that are making food that gets people sick on purpose, I am sure a class action lawyer would be more than happy to take your information. :rolleyes:
Caveat Emptor has been around for a very long time and for good reason. If you believe whatever anyone says, be they producer, consumer, advertiser or distributor then you are brain dead and shouldn't be allowed to walk around with money in your pockets. :rolleyes:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
One major difference is that during the Great Depression, foods like Doritos, Hamburger Helper and Twinkies weren't available on most store shelves, and home gardens and preserving were considerably more prevalent.

PoohBang

Suspended
I mean food wise but just about anything else is easily found online as well. There are hardly any secrets anymore. :p

Classic set up either way. I won't give the punch line as it would only get everyone going.

Now as to your question, I actually am pretty well versed in food nutrition, but not everyone is. I'd say 90% Americans don't know what they're eating. And most of them don't know they should know what they're eating. Of course everyone's heard the term Junk Food, but do any of themknow why it's called that? Or they assume the food they're getting is actually food and not just a box of man made chemicals.

So you're saying that everyone can just hop on their computers and find out what they're eating online? That'd be great if everyone had a computer with internet.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
One major difference is that during the Great Depression, foods like Doritos, Hamburger Helper and Twinkies weren't available on most store shelves, and home gardens and preserving were considerably more prevalent.

Sure, but you can still have a reasonably healthy diet on a low income. I may not be the poster woman for nutrition, but I'm healthy and I'm nowhere near rich. I just don't eat out much, and I take/make time to cook my own food.

That'd be great if everyone had a computer with internet.

Everyone has a public library.

Last edited:
Classic set up either way. I won't give the punch line as it would only get everyone going.

Now as to your question, I actually am pretty well versed in food nutrition, but not everyone is. I'd say 90% Americans don't know what they're eating. And most of them don't know they should know what they're eating. Of course everyone's heard the term Junk Food, but do any of themknow why it's called that? Or they assume the food they're getting is actually food and not just a box of man made chemicals.

So you're saying that everyone can just hop on their computers and find out what they're eating online? That'd be great if everyone had a computer with internet.

You don't even have to have a computer or the internet or even a library now---it is on the package. Pick up package. Read. :p
Man-made chemicals?! You make it sound like they are producing Soylent Green. :rofl:

Indeed but not everywhere. In your big cities there were tenements that did not have gardens or even space for them. I am not so sure about twinkies though. I have a depression era cookbook that has a recipe very similar to what we now know as twinkies. :p That wasn't exactly a recent original idea. :D
Let us also not forget that during that time there was plenty of cooking with lard, butter and tons of salt. Even from scratch it was what we would now consider unhealthy.:eusa_doh:
Try the green beans:

· 1 -2 lb green beans(fresh or frozen thawed)
· 1 lb pork ends
· salt
· 1 cup vinegar
· 1/2 onion
· water to cover

Read more: I am of the same mind as Julia Child---you shouldn't be afraid of food like they are making you now. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... it is on the package. Pick up package. Read. :p

So you approve of having this information on the package. You see its potential value, and feel that consumers who don't read and heed it have only themselves to blame. All well and good.

But do you realize that food manufacturers did everything they could to resist putting such information on packaging? And that the only reason they finally began doing so was because they were forced to -- by government? And that these same food manufacturers do not put the information on their packaging when selling in foreign countries that don't require labeling?

So you approve of having this information on the package. You see its potential value, and feel that consumers who don't read and heed it have only themselves to blame. All well and good.

But do you realize that food manufacturers did everything they could to resist putting such information on packaging? And that the only reason they finally began doing so was because they were forced to -- by government? And that these same food manufacturers do not put the information on their packaging when selling in foreign countries that don't require labeling?

And? Your point being?
What is, is.
Isn't it interesting that in these other countries that don't have labeling requirements, they have less of an obesity problem than we do here? Hmmmmmmmm......

PoohBang

Suspended
:D right. Everyone is lining up at the library. Plus, everyone can read.

Twinkies have no manmade chemicals in them... just all natural...
Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40.

I've got a modified corn starch plant in my backyard, right next to the sodium stearoyl lactylate and sodium caseinate tree.

Twinkies not a good example? How about Wonderbread...

Whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% of less of: soybean oil, salt, molasses, yeast, mono and diglycerides, exthoxylated mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium iodate, calcium dioxide), datem, calcium sulfate, vinegar, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), extracts of malted barley and corn, dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, calcium propionate (to retain freshness).

I know when I made bread I always use my dicalcium phosphate, datem, and diammonium phosphate. Doesn't everyone?

Just like mom just to make... right?

Twinkies have no manmade chemicals in them... just all natural...
Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40.

I've got a modified corn starch plant in my backyard, right next to the sodium stearoyl lactylate and sodium caseinate tree.

Twinkies not a good example? How about Wonderbread...

Whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, contains 2% of less of: soybean oil, salt, molasses, yeast, mono and diglycerides, exthoxylated mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, calcium iodate, calcium dioxide), datem, calcium sulfate, vinegar, yeast nutrient (ammonium sulfate), extracts of malted barley and corn, dicalcium phosphate, diammonium phosphate, calcium propionate (to retain freshness).

I know when I made bread I always use my dicalcium phosphate, datem, and diammonium phosphate. Doesn't everyone?

Just like mom just to make... right?

You just made my point. You know exactly what is in it. :rofl:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Isn't it interesting that in these other countries that don't have labeling requirements, they have less of an obesity problem than we do here?

It's pretty difficult to argue with that. I remember reading an article written by a former Japanese student in the US. During her 18 month stay, she put on 35 pounds, and as soon as she moved back to Japan, it melted off. She mentioned a few times that she couldn't believe the size of the portions, and just how many fast food chains there were (one on every corner.)

I faithfully subscribe to the philosophy that French women don't get fat.

What century are you living in? You would have to go to some pretty fantastic lengths to find a person in a developed country these days who cannot read.

As far as the number of people frequenting the library, you just made my point. With all the accessible information out there in these times, there is no excuse for ignorance now more than ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken