Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
So I just won these on ebay and figured this would be the right spot to post them. A pair of unworn Strathcona boots. Going to start riding again this summer and I always did like the look of these boots. I can't wait to receive them, the auction closed literally this morning lol . this is one of the sellers photos.

3cd7_1.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
rebelgtp said:
So I just won these on ebay and figured this would be the right spot to post them. A pair of unworn Strathcona boots. Going to start riding again this summer and I always did like the look of these boots. I can't wait to receive them, the auction closed literally this morning lol . this is one of the sellers photos.

3cd7_1.jpg
WoW! Nice. There are a few folks turning very green all across America right now (me included). Of course you are fully obligated to post some pics within, say, 10 minutes of receiving them. Ten minutes is adequate, eh, folks? Don't want to rush you, Rebel! ;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
What?! I say 5 minutes tops. That should be just enough time to open the box, drool a bit, turn on the camera, and upload pics to the Lounge.:p :D :p

Very nice boots! I hope they fit well and get lots of use. I like seeing people actually use their adventuring gear.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
i figured you guys would appreciate them. i'm keeping my fingers crossed about the fit...if they are to small i can always cut off some of my toes right? :D

i'll be taking lots of pics when they get in. the guy had a pair of worn ones that seemed to be a slightly older model (very slight differences). i had bid on those first but once they reached the price these new unworn one i switched my bidding over. i even woke up early this morning to make sure i wasn't out bid lol

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Alright, my first post in this thread after reading it for a long time. I've been searching through old threads for a while now for safari jackets and I think I've finally settled on the Cabela's, but I think I might try to add a belt when I get it to get the feel right. I couldn't find anything in any other threads about anyone trying this and I was wondering if anyone has. Could it be done to make the Cabela's look more authentic? Also I think this would help to hide the exterior visibility of the waist-string.
sorry for the long post
-Allen

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Welcome Gatsby84, what size are you, I have a new light weight Orvis jacket with a belt for sale, look in the classifieds and email me for pics

Edward

Bartender
Flicking through the above, was wondering whether there are any more recommendations for adventurer style luggage? I've just had a case destroyed and I'm looking for something in more of a holdall style to replace it. The ideal would be something in a 30s style with a concealed telescopic handle and some wheels - I'd be quite happy to sacrifice total period accuracy for the convenience of having some wheels on there! (Hmmn, or does anyone know of a trolley-type arrangement that would be period correct?). I used to carry a suitcase without wheels, but I don't want to go back to that - I don't travel light!

Edward

Bartender
Oh, momma!

Thanks, Nick - that's exactly the sort of thing I'm after. Relatively expensive, but I can see if I can track one down for a good price... In recent years, I've just been buying luggage as cheaply as possible - when one uses suitcases, it's more or less a given that the airlines will destroy them sooner or later - they did serious damage to my last new one on its first trip. Well, that's not entirely fair - it's the baggage handlers. Problem seems to be the baggage handlers here in the UK at least are employed by the airport, but it's the airline that is responsible to compensate for damage. IMO, if the baggage handlers' direct employers were the one that had to compensate, we'd soon see them obliged to treat other people's luggage with some respect!

Anyhow, I'd think a holdall style would be much harder to damage, so I might just invest a little more in it...

Edward

Bartender
Nick Charles said:

That looks good too - a little more affordable. Pity there's no LL Bean stores in the UK, though it looks like the shipping is very reasonable and it would still come out a good USD100+ cheaper than buying the Orvis here in London... It's nice to know that these sorts of products exist. I'm all for vintage correct where it's practical, but there's times when you need to odd modern feature here and there - it's good to know that that doesn't condemn me to a dayglo pink sausage or nothing!

Thanks for the hlep on this. Looks like I'm gonig to have to get my backside in gear and sell that pile of stuff I have to eBay so I can buy all the pretty things I've discovered sicne I found this site.....! :)

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Gatsby84 said:
Alright, my first post in this thread after reading it for a long time. I've been searching through old threads for a while now for safari jackets and I think I've finally settled on the Cabela's, but I think I might try to add a belt when I get it to get the feel right. I couldn't find anything in any other threads about anyone trying this and I was wondering if anyone has. Could it be done to make the Cabela's look more authentic? Also I think this would help to hide the exterior visibility of the waist-string.
sorry for the long post
-Allen
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0018715

I looked at these when I first started hunting for a safari jacket, and I was rather disappointed in them. They have these large checkered shooting pads on each shoulder which, along with the drawstring waist, really ruined the look for me. The pads don’t really show up in the photos, but they are very prominent in real life. If you notice the drawing, they really do stand out that much. If you don’t mind that then it’s not a bad jacket, it just wasn’t what I was looking for.

It does look like it’s on sale for around $35 until the 31st.

I liked the Beretta one they have, but it’s three times as much.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ts&QueryText=safari&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The firm that is now unloading Peterman's overstocks on eBay seems to be living on some planet where such things get high prices. It used to be handled by a division of Overstock.com, and you could get some deals. Now it's just a long list of unsold inventory. :rage:
Useful for seeing what the goods really look like though.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Nick Charles- I looked in the classifieds and unfortunately it won't fit me, my chest size is a 38.
Serial Hero- That first link is the one I was looking at. I hadn't realized the shooting patches were so prominent. I like the Beretta, but an XL (the only size I saw available for that jacket) would make me look like I'm just swimming in it.
Thanks for the input.
-Allen

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Women and the Phrase "How Many Do You Need?"

Mojave Jack said:
Oh, man. Those TR trousers are calling my name. I think my wife would kill me if I buy one more pair of khaki pants, though, no matter how cool they are!

Like do you ever hear them saying the same thing about shoes?

Those trousers are calling my name - very smart... you can always do with another pair of khakis..lol

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
First off, sorry for turning it towards another jacket thread.

Second: Nick, thanks for the link. I saw it in a few other threads and haven't entirely ruled it out yet. After reading the description on-site and re-reading other threads I may just have to try it out. Does anyone have any pics of the OD green version that they could either post or email me since I don't see any on their site.
Thanks all.
-Allen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe