Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, great kit! That jacket really is excellent. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that hat is outstanding! Ever since I saw yours and Mark G.'s, I've been wanting to put together one with that style bash. I've been working on one, as Nick Charles can attest, but I've got a few more things to do. How did you do your puggaree? How wide is the strip, and did you hem the edges? I'd like to see a close up, if you have a minute.

I love those engineer's compasses, too. I haven't been able to find one that have a declination adjustment, though. Since we are at 13 degrees east declination, it's a pain not having that adjustment on the compass. I still trust in my Brunton 8099, but man! I wish I could find a cool leather case for it. I keep checking at Forestry Supply and Miner's, but the cases they have are never the right size.

Thanks for all the postive feedback, too, folks! Katie, electric blue or otherwise, good show! A little variation is good around here, and your pith helmet is very becoming. How 'bout a few more pics?!

Kodiak, I think you're right on the horn buttons for my bush shirt. I think I will probably go that way, at least until I can find some decent faux bakelite buttons. I found a source of bone buttons, too, but I think they are too light colored. The horn buttons will make a better contrast.

Mike, that buckle on your LL Bean jacket is exactly the type I am looking for, too. Anyone know of a good source for those? I like the leather wrap, as well. Nick Charles and I hunted up a buckle over the weekend, but it is too narrow. My belt already has holes, so I will have to find a buckle with a single prong.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Here you go friend!
Leather_Buckle.jpg

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11104976/Leather_Buckle.html
All you will need to do is pop off the prong from an old belt and put it on the middle piece of one of these buckles...should be an easy job with some needle-nosed pliers.

images%5Crb32x9.gif

http://www.albest.com/product.asp?Func=DispProd&SelCat=Buckles&SelSubCat=Roller+Buckles&Page=2

It looks like the one site I linked has a minimum order quantity. Your best bet might be to look around at some of the belts that accompany womens fashion to find a slider buckle like these. Perhaps a post in the Powder Room will help track one down.

As for the hat band, I used the directions from an earlier posting by Baggers:
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/images/helmets/Folding a Puggaree.pdf
Go to your nearest craft or sewing supply store and get 1 inch wide cotton tape/ribbon. It's a herringbone twill, natural white color, and usually found in the ribbon section. You won't need to hem the edges or anything - just wrap and go!

Cheers!
Mike

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That Ralph Lauren safari jacket may be the finest I have ever seen. :eusa_clap

Coicidentially enough, I just picked up a Ralph Lauren safari shirt this weekend that I am very impressed with. The fabric is amazing; the color is nice; and the fit is superb. It is the finest safari shirt I have ever seen.

I'll post photos soon.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Mojave, Mike K.

That is some great looking gear. Outstanding! :eusa_clap Mike, I love your hat, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ve been pondering the “Territory” but that 4” brim kind of scares me. Does anyone know where I can get a puggaree?

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
This is a good source for vintage compasses, http://www.purgatory.net/kornelia/compass/compass.htm Some years ago I had cause to corresopond with the lady who runs the site and she seems to know what she's talking about, although I did not buy a compass from her.

A couple of years ago Deutsche Optik and the Sportsmans Guide were selling vintage, NATO issue Silva Ranger compasses complete with a leather case. These dated back to the 1950's. I don't have a photo of mine, but the next time I dig out the compass I'll post a photo. Deutsche Optik has leather cases that may work for some size compasses. http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=282

I've wanted a brass lensatic compass, similar to the one from brass compass pictured above, since I saw Tom Hanks use one in Saving Private Ryan.

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks SerialHero for the heads-up on the book - I'll be ordering one. I was going to order "Into Africa", the book about Livingstones expedition but was wondering - is there a movie on the subject by any chance? Can't imagine that nobody's done one.

also thanks Nobodyspecial for the deutscheoptics link, there's lots of cool things there.

Doug C

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Back online

Well, I'm in my new house in VA. I bought a Purdey safari jacket just before I left Newport, RI. It's a fairly heavy, but soft cotton duck with four bellows pockets and an internal draw-string waist. No belt. I didn't want a belt because I would rather have a thick leather belt with pouches on it. I'm looking at a nice 3" gun belt with double holes or a repro WWI brown belt with "GOTT MIT UNS" buckle.

I'll get some snaps tonight and try to get them up tonight or tomorrow. For now, though, I'll leave you waiting with breathless anticipation.lol

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Serial Hero said:
I’ve been pondering the “Territory” but that 4” brim kind of scares me. Does anyone know where I can get a puggaree?

You can also find pugs in various sizes from David Morgan.

While I was searching for a bush hat, I looked at the Territory. I wanted an inch off the brim though, so I asked Hatsdirect if they could trim it for me. I didn't order one, but they said that they could.

In fact, if you have a decent hat store in your area, they probably have a tool that you can use to trim the brim. After long searching for the aforementioned bush hat, I got one custom made from Jimmy Pierce. He did a nice job, but he made the brim too wide. I just got it trimmed down 1/4 inch today, making the brim 3" wide. The people at the store didn't charge me. The only thing you have to do after you cut it down is use some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the edge. Of course, you might not care about doing that.

By the way, thanks for the book link.

Hem- how much was that shirt? And by the way, I hope you are doing better. You had me scared there for a while buddy.

Kodiak, I think you're right on the horn buttons for my bush shirt. I think I will probably go that way, at least until I can find some decent faux bakelite buttons. I found a source of bone buttons, too, but I think they are too light colored. The horn buttons will make a better contrast.

Mojave, if you end up going with those buttons, beware of their thickness. They are probably a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. And, they are sold individually. I didn't realize that when I was making a haversack and ended up with one button when I needed four :eusa_doh:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
RAF Brass Belt buckles have two prongs - one won't fit a belt with a single row of holes.
Buckle.jpg
Can't you just cut one off with some wire cutters or a small hack saw?? Or are they both in a fixed position on the bar?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Mike K. said:
Can't you just cut one off with some wire cutters or a small hack saw?? Or are they both in a fixed position on the bar?

On most of the buckles I've seen, the bars are fixed. Not to say that that wouldn't work, but you might have to do some more in-depth work.

A hacksaw would probably be too large for that sort of work. I don't know if wire cutters would be strong enough to snap through the prong. I'm sure that there are cutters that would do the job, but I don't know about the cleaness of the cut or how well you would be able to fit the cutters into place.

Hmm....

Mike K.

One Too Many
Another option for a replacement buckle might be a double metal D-ring. This is a simple, classic fastening device for belts and I know of numerous places where one can find metal D-rings with an 'antique' finish.
istockphoto_1401847_olive_drab_d_ring_belt.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Thinking about vintage kit and rummaging through some old stuff got me thinking of matchcases. I have several vintage cases by Marbles and Everdry. If you want a very high quality modern case, the KM product are hard to beat. http://www.kmmatchcase.com/matchcases-km-matchcase-pictures-two-hold-too.htm

The brass version has a vintage look about it. I have several of the cases, but now I noticed they are available in green and may have to place another order. The quality of the cases is top notch.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kodiak said:
On most of the buckles I've seen, the bars are fixed. Not to say that that wouldn't work, but you might have to do some more in-depth work.

A hacksaw would probably be too large for that sort of work. I don't know if wire cutters would be strong enough to snap through the prong. I'm sure that there are cutters that would do the job, but I don't know about the cleaness of the cut or how well you would be able to fit the cutters into place.

Hmm....

Dremel tool with cut-off wheel from the back side. You wouldn't see a thing when finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe