Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Cobden

Practically Family
I must say, that's rather different to the British method of puttifying one's legs. The way I did mine was to wrap it up so the inside side is on the outside of the rolled up putte, with the square bottom on top and the tapes in the centre. Place the square end on the inside of one's ankle, then wrap over the front, round the back, and over itself two or three times, then angle it slightly, and whilst pulling tight, go up the leg. When you get to the knee, wrap round two or three times, then wrap the tapes round three times, tie the puttee tapes by looping it through round the three layers of tapes just infront of the ">" at the end as many times as needed, then any excess stuff under the ">". The ">" should be on the outside, pointing backwards in line with your anklebone (although it never ends up there!).

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
skbellis said:
MJ,

Instead of thicker socks with Jerry's jodpurs, why don't you try some of his Hose Tops. In essence, thery are sort of like leg warmers. Their purpose was to give the enlisted men the look of the long khaki socks on the desert (with shorts), while theyr could still wear their regular grey issue socks. Another option is to use the long puttees. I was once intimidated by the long puttees until I found this site on how to wrap them: http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/how4.html

Cheers,

---Scott
That's true, they would serve the same function. Did the hose tops tuck into the tops of the boots, or were they just covered by the anklets? I've been wanting a pair of these from Orvis, but have just never pulled the trigger:

7112green.jpg

Nick, nice bags but WoW! what a price! Are they gold lined?!

Rooster

Practically Family
Those I had to get altered, despite Baggers admonishments. Mine went way past my knees, and you could fit two of me in each leg! They ares till baggy, but now they look more accurate. MY wife still won't let me wear them out of the house, though.
HA! you should see my bird legs poking out of the vastness of those shorts! I washed and then ran them thru the dryer, now they are wearable. I'll probably go with the long hose with them...although I doubt my wife will be along that day....lol
I wore the Aertex brithish Battledress jacket to a chicken show saturday.....that got a few looks...lol :p My wife says I look like a park ranger with the BD and an Akubra squatter on. I thought the BD jacket was going to be a little too small, then I realised I tried it on over a shirt. It fits as it should with just an undershirt on. I don't believe this will go through the drier, it's bound to shrink too much.
Hey, I like the looks of those jodh's, I'd go with the puttees with them.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Steady, boys! Steady!

232690.jpg

Looks a bit like our own Daisy, doesn't she?!

Rooster, I've gotten a few jabs at my own legs right here in this thread! (Thanks, Mike!) No worries. I get some looks at work from time to time, but one of the guys that thinks I'm a nut gets all his clothes from JC Penney! Literally! And I'm a kook. He's one of the guys that wears jeans when it's 110. Hmm. Thanks, I'll take my Aertex!

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Hose tops....

MJ,

Yes, the hose tops tuck into the boots. I usually end up wearing them with Ammo Boots and either short puttees or British WW2 gaiters, but thats because I am a WW2 reenactor. I would imagine that the hose tops would work alone with some boots.

Yesterday I received my KD battledress that WPG has on clearance for $48 for the jacket and trousers together. I am very happy with the trousers, but the armholes on the jackets seem a little too high or something to me. Not sure if I should go up a size or not. As previously mentioned, the KD from WPG should not be exposed to a dryer unless you need it drastically shrunk.

Cheers,

---Scott

Rooster

Practically Family
Wear that BD jacket for a bit, you'll get used to it. The arm holes are high on purpose, so you can raise your arms and the bottom of the jacket will stay in place...all old timey clothes were made like this back in the day.
These high arm holes are a big plus for me, nice attention to detail.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
BD Jacket

Thanks for the tip Rooster. The KD Battle Dress set is a really good deal. Worth it just for the trousers as far as I am concerned. And it appears to be spot on to the pictures in the book Khaki Drill and Jungle Green. More great service from What Price Glory.

---Scott

Mike K.

One Too Many
More safari jackets...

Wow! I head out of town for several days and there's tons of stuff to now catch up on (at home and here at the FL)

Jack - If you don't like US Wings, give these guys a try. They have the same safari apparel and I've never had a problem with their service. Just look at all that other great gear too!!! :D
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/subcat/18

Here's my latest score off ebay
cd9b_1_sbl.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Rooster said:
Wear that BD jacket for a bit, you'll get used to it. The arm holes are high on purpose, so you can raise your arms and the bottom of the jacket will stay in place...all old timey clothes were made like this back in the day.
These high arm holes are a big plus for me, nice attention to detail.

The BD blouse and trousers buttton together at the inner waist, which is more for that purpose.

B
T

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Well... here's a pic of some of my gear. The shirt is homemade, as is the satchel. The blanket across my chest is an old Korean War job, but I guess they haven't changed much in awhile. The hat is an Akubra Campaign hat that I bought from good ol' Mike K. and the trousers are just an old pair that I had lying around when I went out to take pics.

Hope you enjoy.

Story

I'll Lock Up
More tales of crucial fashion accessories

While researching a project/potential article, I came across the following tale:

Here is the story of how this rifle in this chambering came into my hands: In late 1913 the older of two brothers of Hungarian descent, from the area of Transylvania, accompanied an English Lord on safari in Kenya acting as a taxidermist. When WWI broke out during the excursion (1914; it must have been one hell of a safari), the Lord gave the taxidermist two options: make a run for it or turn himself in. The Hungarian made a break for Italian Somaliland, to Arabia, and then to Budapest where he tried to sign up but was refused. He told his younger brother of his adventures in Africa and of the performance of the 9.3x62.

The younger brother came to Canada in the 20's and died in the 60's. He picked this gun up over here and after he passed on it sat in his daughter's closet for over 40 years. She sold most of his guns off except this one (my guess is because no one knew what a 9.3x62 was). Her cousin sold it for her and I was the guy who bought it. He was the one who told me of his uncles.

Neat pictures here -
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=58639&page=0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally