Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
skbellis said:
Cheaper Than Dirt has this same helmet with a pair of goggles for $39.97.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/HAT135-48366-1896.html

Cheers,

---Scott
I'm glad you posted that, Scott. I was beating my brains out trying to remember where I had just seen those same helmets for a much better price. I still hadn't thought of it by the time you posted, though, so thanks for saving a tiny bit of my sanity! lol

Carebear, check out the loops on the Long Grass vest.

rifle-vest-olive.gif

They are elastic without looking like elastic. The canvas loops conceal the elastic inside. Surely leather ones could be made similarly and still accomodate a range of cartridge sizes.

Jovan

Suspended
Mark G: The details on those are superb! I was surprised to find the website in your profile was for guitars, since you could make a business of making those too.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Jovan, thanks for the compliment. I like to do the leather work as a diversion. Sometimes when I'm bending a side for a guitar in a rather pricey wood, it can get intense. With the leather work it's a way to relax.

Jack, I love the link to Long Grass. Great website.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For those who didn't catch the "WWII RAF pilot cremated in Hawker Hurricane coffin" thread in WWII. Here's a pic of him in Burma '44.

Check out the shorts and boots.

FltLtTerryPrendergastBurma44HawkerH.jpg

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JohntheGreek,

One more woods bison in the world... :)

Bison gets baby for early Mother's Day present

by Chris Joy
Saturday, May 12, 2007

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- There was a new mom at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center near Portage today.

Earlier this morning a wood bison gave birth to a new calf. Officials said this is the time of year when the calves are born and there are more on the way.

The newborn weighs around 40 pounds and is part of an effort to restore a species that disappeared from Alaska in the early 1900s.

The center's is hosting a special Mother's Day event with free admission and calendars all day tomorrow.

Cobden

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
BT,
You sound pretty knowledgeable about pith helmets. Regarding the style with the shorter brim in front and longer brim in back (with moderately domed crown), is the Wolseley type pith helmet the only one of this style or are there others? I have one of the Vietnamese-made piths that I like a lot, except for the "leather" liner. I'm searching for one of the more classy looking piths. Any suggestions on who makes the best Wolseley style (or other with the longer rear brim)?

The best modern Wolseley's I've come across are made by What Price Glory; can't recommend their's highly enough.

Wolseley_Helmet.jpg

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/ukhead.htm

Cobden

Practically Family
I don't have one of my own, I'm afraid - they don't might them my size. But I have seen them and can say they are the best out there I've seen. The lining is made to size (as opposed to velcro adjustable lining), and doesn't touch the actual side of the helmet, like the originals, and has the fantastic little touch of having a crimson lining around the inside! The KD cover is also the right shade of KD, and not the horrible yellowish colour that some reproducers seem to think is KD!

The only thing I can say against them is that I've never seen a photo of someone wearing a wolseley with a three fold pugaree, but that's fairly minor...

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
Eeeew! Camping? After the Army I decided I would never be hot, cold, rained on, have my food rained on, be unwashed, etc.

I now enjoy the Great Indoors like Bellagio, Wynn, Mandalay Bay, Baden-Baden, Morton's steakhouse, etc. :D

Cheers,

M8

P.S. I have an old army pup tent (half shelter). Must be at least 50 years old - camouflage woodland on one side, camouflage desert on the other side.

Not to mention that the cocktail waitresses are better there than out in the woods.:D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wow! And lots of it, Jovan. Good link.

There's a thread somewhere about how many fedoras folks see each day. Well, over the past weekend, I saw my first real pith helmet out and about. It was the flat topped Indian style, worn by an older gentleman. I saw him at the Barnes & Noble as I was getting a coffee, so I sat down and talked to him. Apparently he used to drive for Frank Sinatra! Being Palm Springs it's not too unusual to meet folks like that, so I have no reason to doubt him. Very interesting guy, though a bit on the batty side. I wonder if that's what folks think of me, though...? lol

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Just getting home is an adventure!

I was out at sea this week to observe an excersize. Getting to shore can be an adventure.

new064-1.jpg

Here I am waiting for my ride. I was reading the article on "Off the Peg" suits.

new068-1.jpg

Here it comes. An SH-53 Sea Knight for the first leg to the flat top.

new070-1.jpg

I hit the beach in an LCAC (Landing Craft Air Cushion) which is a navy hover craft. From there it was a boring van ride back to base.

I suppose it's unusual to travel by land sea and air all in the same day, but for me it's all in a day's work.

Happy travels,
Eric

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
AlanC said:
Will at A Suitable Wardrobe has a nice bit on the safari jacket today.
Nice!

I scored an Orvis short sleeve safari shirt on the 'bay, but it turned out to be a 65/35 ploy/cotton blend! :eek: In the Mojave?! I don't think so! Fortunately the seller was really great about giving me a refund. You really can meet some decent people on e-bay, as it turns out. So, I'm still searching for that fitted short sleeve version like in Will's picture:

safari+jacket.jpg

I'm telling you, fellas, this is our year, so you'd better stock up while you can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally