Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Cobden

Practically Family
Me in 1930's adventuring gear AKA "Our Intrepid Young Explorers Discovers the Lost Back Garden of Canterbury"

explorer.jpg

British Army Cawnpore Solar Topee, British Sam Browne Belt without cross strap, Webley .455 holster (and wooden webley!), stripey collarless shirt, WWI officers service dress britches, 37 pattern waterbttole on cross strap, 1930's Indian Army Officers Cane, officers long puttees and brown boots, and 1930's KD tunic, beleived to be Hong Kong Police!

Mark G

A-List Customer
Cobden, That is quite an outfit! Bravo.

John in Covina, did you know there's a shop in Covina called Ivory Beads that specializes in antique and new shotguns and double rifles. It's a great store and the people that run it are very friendly. When I'm in there I feel as if I've gone back in time a hundred years. The last time I was there they had an old Holland and Holland .416 Rigby for the bargin price of $16,000.00.

Mike K.

One Too Many
John,
If Kodiak decides to hunt leopard, count me in for kudu and a cape buffalo, maybe a few warthogs too. What's the trophy fee for a nice black-maned lion these days?
~Mike

Mike K.

One Too Many
Cobden,
That's one terrific outfit you've assembled!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It sure is sparkly clean and new. A few days in the bush should do the trick.;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Wow Hemingway, that's a great look!
I've got the goggles that Gable is wearing. I might have to search for a slick-looking leather jacket like that one!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike K. said:
Wow Hemingway, that's a great look!
I've got the goggles that Gable is wearing. I might have to search for a slick-looking leather jacket like that one!
It's a bit like the Belstaff in The Aviator. I'll have to check Magnoli's site to see how similar his jacket it.

Mark G said:
Cobden, John in Covina, did you know there's a shop in Covina called Ivory Beads that specializes in antique and new shotguns and double rifles. It's a great store and the people that run it are very friendly. When I'm in there I feel as if I've gone back in time a hundred years. The last time I was there they had an old Holland and Holland .416 Rigby for the bargin price of $16,000.00.

Nope did not know that! 16G's is more than what my Nissan Pickup cost new!
Ah! La Dolce Vita! If only I could afford it.

J

JohnTheGreek

Mike K. said:
John,
If Kodiak decides to hunt leopard, count me in for kudu and a cape buffalo, maybe a few warthogs too. What's the trophy fee for a nice black-maned lion these days?
~Mike

If you have to ask....

Seriously, I've stopped even looking at lion hunts. I think I stopped looking when $1500 daily rates, 21 day minimums, and $10,000 trophy fees became standard. Sadly, I remember seeing those prices a while ago so I would guess $50K-$70K is pretty normal now on a top shelf lion hunt. There are exceptions to the rule however. If one booked a late season cow elephant hunt at say $8K and the area had an unused allocation of surplus lioness, I'll bet you could shoot one for just the $3500 or $4000 trophy fee. That would be a real bargain if there were no minimum number of days added or inflated daily rate. I'm sure it happens every year in Zimbabwe. As another example, I know one guy who went to Namibia on a $350 per day plains game hunt a few years ago and a "problem" lion was declared in the nearby agricultural area. When they came across it literally a couple days later, it was just a quick bit of negotiating with his guide to determine that he would pay $3500 for this quite decent male lion. No extra charges beyond that. MAJOR BARGAIN...just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

Mikepara,

It's my understanding that more than a few people in southern Africa wind up keeping cheetah as pets. Seems to work out OK even after the animal reaches sexual maturity....at least much better than the stories I've heard about people who tried the same trick with Leopard. lol

Best,

John

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Hmm... so the O/U isn't as well-received as the SXS... Makes sense to me I guess. Although... the real question is whether or not they might have been used... if a hunter preferred an O/U to a SXS, would he be able to have one custom made in... say... 1880? If you must know, I'm writing a book.

Mike K- well, I ain't just plain clever?

That's a pretty cool pic of the group of soldiers, underneath the dead leopard pic.

BT- good adventurer pic as always.

Cobden- same to you mate. By the way... where did you find that canteen? And how old are you? You look really young in that pic.

John,
~Mike

You are a man after my own heart Mike. You would only have to worry about the trophy fee for that lion if you beat me to it :D I've always wanted to kill a buffalo and a kudu as well, but the black-maned lion would be top of the list.

So John, since we are on the subject, what are the trophy laws for the US these days?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
mikepara said:
Typical, all that game and the only shooting going on was with a camera!

DSCN4209.jpg

DSCN4210.jpg

No such thing as a tame wild cat!

DSCN4211.jpg

:eek: My favourite animal! (Next to my boys) I don't know whether to awww or run away in jealousy!

J

JohnTheGreek

Hi Kodiak,

I think www.cites.org has a guide that answers this question to a degree. You might also check out www.conservationforce.org . Basically, pretty much anything 99% of hunters are going to be able to afford to hunt is importable. Even outside this affordable realm, White Rhino from South Africa is importable, Lion, Cape Buffalo, Elephant from everywhere except Mozambique and Cameroon, Leopard from common safari destinations is OK, and most Asiatic sheep and Ibex species get the thumbs up from USFWS. I do think the various Markhor species are unimportable from Pakistan but I don't have the $50K+ to hunt them anyway. You're also probably out of luck on pretty much any Asiatic cat....so don't go booking a Snow Leopard hunt. :)

One notable and unfortunate importability issue surrounds the Cheetah. In this case, CITES issues export permits to Namibia, hunting Cheetah is legal in Namibia (heck, farmers shoot them as pests), but the US (even as a CITES country) refuses to offer import permits to US hunters. Figure that one out! Wouldn't it be nice if Namibian farmers had a $4000 incentive to NOT shoot Cheetah on sight? North of the US border, I think everything is importable (EVEN WOLF) with the exception of Walrus (Pacific and Atlantic), Polar Bear (but only from some areas), and Wood Bison. This last species really burns me up as it's not even listed as "Endangered" by the ESA and the US is basically keeping hunting dollars away from supporting what is really a great Canadian management plan for the species.

As for the rifle question....consider that there exist swivel action FLINTLOCK O/U rifles dating back to well before the golden age of African hunting. Given this, it seems VERY VERY unlikely that there existed NO examples of 19th and early 20th century O/U safari rifles in common safari calibres. Still, these are not going to be common or really fitting the image of the "classic" African hunter...unless he's German or Belgian or French....those guys seem to like the O/U configuration much more than others. :) ;) :)

Best,

John

Cobden

Practically Family
Kodiak said:
Cobden- same to you mate. By the way... where did you find that canteen? And how old are you? You look really young in that pic.

Thanks - the canteens are ten a penny over here - if you want, I can send a link to somewhere you can get the from. Age wise, I'm 21, but have the unnerving ability to look anything from the age of 12 to 30 dpending on what headgear I'm wearing!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Thanks John. Sorta clears all of that up.

So... now to buy that new Holland and Holland, book the hunt and go bag some trophies!

Oh yeah... and win the lottery.

Thanks again mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally