Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Maybe America has just discovered the joys of Guacamole. :D
I can't speak for the rest of America, but in this part of southern California avocados and guacamole have been staples for decades. But then, when I was growing up our property had nine avocado trees on it, and prior to being zoned for residential use in the late 1940s our neighborhood was a rather sizeable orange and avocado grove, so constant proximity to fresh avocados may have had something to do with that. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had never seen an avocado, or even knew they existed, until I went to California in 1983. I wondered what all those squishy nausea-green things were rotting in the gutters, and that's what they were. Somehow I never developed the taste.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think, Avocados are the prototypical "luxury-problem"-thing. No one really needs them, nearly no one buys them and in the end the excess-production is ending in cosmetic products or so. ;)

Not sure about “nearly no one buys them.”

Much depends on where you live.
Where I come from and many parts of
the world I have visited, they are very
much in demand in restaurants.
Not only for cosmetics.

If I was to see over-ripe squishy bananas or tomatoes
in the gutter.
I would probably never develop the taste for them
either.

Last edited:
Not sure about “nearly no one buys them.”

Much depends on where you live.
Where I come from and many parts of
the world I have visited, they are very
much in demand in restaurants.....

Agreed. Over the last ten years, not only restaurants in the city use them a lot, but the supermarkets stock them in prominent places versus before when you'd have to hunt to find them.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Avocado was just a big cosmetic-thing in the european 90's. Then came Jojoba and then Aloe-Vera. :D

When there is a surplus of any produce, they will try to find creative ways to market the excess. This happened a few years ago with cranberries. You can only make so much cranberry sauce, so things like "craisins" started to appear in supermarkets, along with cranberry muffins etc.

When there is a surplus of any produce, they will try to find creative ways to market the excess. This happened a few years ago with cranberries. You can only make so much cranberry sauce, so things like "craisins" started to appear in supermarkets, along with cranberry muffins etc.

Yeah, as I remind, the Cranberry-thing came after the Aloe Vera-thing, here in Germany. And in the last years the sheabutter-thing. ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had a hard time keeping my potassium level up when I was pregnant, so avocados were on my list of foods to eat, along with potatoes, bananas, and v8. Even with 2 avocados, a can of v8, a cup of carrot juice, and 2 potatoes a day, I had difficulty keeping my levels up so I had to supplement with potassium salt.

So I developed a taste for avocados sliced with baked potatoes with a glass of carrot juice; because they tasted better than the potassium salt mixed in water.

Really really trivial:
When you (as an Aspie) go to your old-fashioned little-towns family-bakery, just around the corner and exactly the typical situation, which you don't like, happens. You enter the room and there are three or four customers before you and you got no problem with it, but hope, that, when you have a turn, there will be more peace in the room. But, when you have a turn, there are the next three or four customers behind you and it's more disturbance in the room than before and you can't concentrate on your business.
Situations like this remind me really again, why I always liked the stuff from the little family-stores, but didn't like the littles stores itself and very often avoided visting them, over the years. Frantic situations in strong frequented little stores at special times, when you like to concentrate, but your brain "stops".

But luckily, it's not a real problem for me, it's just trivial. And I will just memorize, not to visit the store at lunchtime (12<>13 o'clock), again, when many pupils from the Gymnasium around the corner seems to visit the bakery, too. :)

I had an avocado milkshake in Indonesia a few weeks ago. It was actually pretty good. Of course, it also had chocolate syrup in it.

The best guacamole I've ever had (and I've had it all over the world!) is at the rooftop cantina at the Coyote Café in Santa Fe. I could sit in the sunshine and eat guacamole and drink margaritas all day and never leave.

And don't forget your additional daily Vitamin D3, especially from October to March! There is no UVB-radiation from heaven, in this time. ;)

I feel so well and I never want to go back. :)

Last edited:
And don't forget your additional daily Vitamin D3, especially from October to March! There is no UVB-radiation from heaven, in this time. ;)

Depends on where you live. There certainly is in Santa Fe, New Mexico (when you're eating guacamole and sipping margaritas) and most of the Southern US. Sunscreen ain't just for summer. Autumn and winter are some of the best times to catch some rays because it's not as hot.

Depends on where you live. There certainly is in Santa Fe, New Mexico (when you're eating guacamole and sipping margaritas) and most of the Southern US. Sunscreen ain't just for summer. Autumn and winter are some of the best times to catch some rays because it's not as hot.

Surely, northern-hemisphere is meant.
For example, in 2014, the University of Lübeck examined 100.00 blood-tests of North-Germans and 80% got a lack of Vitamin D, even 50 to 60% of them a heavy lack.

In Middle- and South-Germany, the general lack of Vitamin D is guessed on at least 60% (Robert-Koch Institut).

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I had an avocado milkshake in Indonesia a few weeks ago. It was actually pretty good. Of course, it also had chocolate syrup in it.

The best guacamole I've ever had (and I've had it all over the world!) is at the rooftop cantina at the Coyote Café in Santa Fe. I could sit in the sunshine and eat guacamole and drink margaritas all day and never leave.

This is interesting.
I grew up where avocados are very popular.
I've never heard of an "avocado
milkshake" before.
Guacamole is about the only way
I have eaten avocados.
It is more of a spicy flavor that
goes well with tacos.

I have tasted banana milkshake
with chocolate syrup.
It's good but also very rich & can
only drink a small amount.

Have tried drinking margaritas,
but my stomach will not tolerate