Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting that what was once ordinary women's underwear is now fetish-wear. Or, as one lady friend told me: Ëvery woman looks better in a corset!

Not to mention a fair few men.

The funny thing is how quickly it happened: 'tights' (I think in the US you call them panty-hose?) came onto the open makret in the UK around 1968, if memory serves. By the time Sue Blaine was costuming the original, pre-film production of The Rocky Horror Show (no "Picture" - that's the film), she had to scour the seediest, most unpleasant ends of Soho in London to be able to find suspender (garter) belts and such.

⇧ what also seemed to happen in the blink of an eye was women in offices all but abandoning panty hose / stockings.

It was an unwritten rule for decades and, then, in a few years it changed completely to where now, you rarely see women in them in office settings anymore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The bare-leg fad hit in the late 90s -- it was fine if you lived in California or the South, but it was idiotic if you lived in a state that had an actual winter. Opaque/textured tights caught on as a replacement for sheer hosiery very quickly when women realized they were a lot cheaper in the long run than sheers.

You still see old-style sheer hose around here, but it's mostly on older women who grew up that way, or young women trying to be ironic.

Up until the mid-90s or so you could find ordinary garter belts -- not the bedroom kind, but the real thing -- at J C Penney. That was also the last retail stand for cotton utility stockings of the sort that I'm now reduced to scouring eBay to find.

A real heavyweight garter belt actually has advantages for those of us who need belly control but don't like the hassle of wearing a full girdle every day. It's also more healthy than tights or pantyhose, which often cause yeast infections.

I never knew my grandmother to wear a garter belt. She wore heavy utility hose held up by loops of strip elastic that she sewed into circular garters. Except in the summer, when she rolled the elastic strip into the tops of the stockings and wore them just below her knees, flapper-style. There had been a previous bare-leg fad during the "suntan" craze of 1929, but I doubt she participated in that one -- she was a decidedly un-faddish, anti-fashionable person. She probably started rolling her stockings only after it ceased to be trendy.

⇧ The change was just as you dated it, late '90s. I had girlfriends before that time who always complained about "stocking / pantyhose / etc." how expensive they were, how uncomfortable they were and, then, it stopped. Not coincidentally, that was the same time that I started to notice a lot of bare female legs at work.

Whomever studies this stuff - there must be some silly sociology course at a $60,000-a-year college on modern "norms" or what have you - would probably rank this change as one of the faster ones.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Black Friday! :mad:

2aet7b7.jpg

Targeted advertising that shows up out of seemingly nowhere. I mentioned to my wife and daughter that I would like a leftover turkey sandwich with avocado. I did not search for avocado on my PC or anything. I just mentioned it in earshot of my iPhone. Then I log onto the Fedora Lounge a short time later and what do I see?

30421159184_4809802e94_z.jpg

I would call it trivial, but I'm a little scared.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Targeted advertising that shows up out of seemingly nowhere. I mentioned to my wife and daughter that I would like a leftover turkey sandwich with avocado. I did not search for avocado on my PC or anything. I just mentioned it in earshot of my iPhone. Then I log onto the Fedora Lounge a short time later and what do I see?

It's only Siri.
She always responds to all my issues.
Never argues.
And always finishes by telling me....
"I am here to please you jake!" :D

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Btw: Bob....

FDR once told me.
"jake, you have nothing to fear...but fear itself!"

Also, don't get within distance to others that can
hear Siri when she talks to you. :p

P.S.
LizzieMaine...Have A Happy Weekend! :)

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

I finally installed Addblock Plus, it does help allot!

I had a bedroom web cam a while back. Insomniac's around the world sent me thousands of thank you notes! :D

I appreciate the humor, and I try to remain mindful that so much of what might be known about me has little potential for ill. Wanna see the full-body scan from my most recent trip through airport security? Go on ahead.

Still, these days threats of totalitarianism appear something other than mere paranoid delusions. We constantly leave records of our movements, our affiliations, our political biases, often unknowingly.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I appreciate the humor, and I try to remain mindful that so much of what might be known about me has little potential for ill. Wanna see the full-body scan from my most recent trip through airport security? Go on ahead.

Still, these days threats of totalitarianism appear something other than mere paranoid delusions. We constantly leave records of our movements, our affiliations, our political biases, often unknowingly.

At two airports, they've told me that anyone with anything "artificial" can't go through the scanner. I've got a number of biopsy clips and the security people just stared at me when I asked if that is the type of artificial stuff they're talking about, or if it just mechanical stuff like a pacemaker or larger stuff like pins. Even worse is my home airport where they make everyone go through the scanner and don't separate based upon artificiality.

I at least expect our security theatre to stay on script.

At two airports, they've told me that anyone with anything "artificial" can't go through the scanner. I've got a number of biopsy clips and the security people just stared at me when I asked if that is the type of artificial stuff they're talking about, or if it just mechanical stuff like a pacemaker or larger stuff like pins. Even worse is my home airport where they make everyone go through the scanner and don't separate based upon artificiality.

I at least expect our security theatre to stay on script.

As I've mentioned before, I've had airport security ask, after they got a look at the full-body scan, what I had in my right front pants pocket. What they are seeing is the mesh used in an inguinal hernia repair.

Unlike many of my acquaintance, I don't feel put out by airport security, although I hope for it to become a bit more professionalized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bvanv